Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Yet again a dumb 7024 question
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 05-29-2012 02:43 Edited 05-29-2012 02:46
I have a guy swearing he can run 5/32 jet rod DOWNHILL on pipe and make it look slick as can be and look like an auto machine welded it.  I asked him if he was roling the pipe out.  He says NO..  He claims he starts at the top and gos downhill to the bottom.  I said BS...!  So we have a fiendly 100 bet that he cant do it.  Whats my chances of loosing...?  Lol.  If he pulls it off it will be worth the 100 bucks to see it done...!  He claims no pin holes no trash.  I dont think it can be done...!   I told him even if he could do it no company in there right mind would let you do it..!  Hes in a mud tank yard and swears all the guys weld pipe with it there..!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-29-2012 03:22
If he can do it take video and let us see. Tell him we want to see x-ray and other testing! Maybe if you run super fast to keep ahead of the slag. Ain't tried it myself, didn't feel like wasting time to find out if it works or not. In my minds eye I think you can start spending that $100!!

No pinholes or trash. Tell him to let the lab shoot it or better yet you can do nicks and bends on the jobsite easy.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 05-29-2012 04:15
rcwelding,
The rod isn't designed for out of position welding so no company, welder, inspector or customer with any understanding or ethics would ever do DH welding on anything other than practice or show and tell. What you told him about company in right mind is correct. No UH, DH or OH is allowed with that rod.

Even if someone could pull off the party trick of slicking a cap on a pipe w/7024 DH it would not pass the PQR and WPS...I know there is no mention of those because they aren't following one.

I've ran a fair amount of 7024 and can simulate a machine weld also but when I get a few degrees DH (slip on flange to pipe) it will remind you why it has a (2) instead of a (1) for position.

I've seen too many things break or fail in my lifetime to try shortcuts that are obvious no no's to save a little time and money when safety is concerned....rigging attachment is a good example.

I have never tried it DH so can't promise that you will be 100.00 richer but the welds they are making DH w/7024 are all fails.
Parent - By jpill (**) Date 05-31-2012 15:06
As an old millwright (he was originally from Germany) told me once, "Me thinks me smells Bull Shiza." I would think even attempting downhill 7024 would be an act of futility, I've run alot of 7024 and a joint even slightly downhill will let you know it is not meant to be.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-05-2012 13:25
You'll probly lose your bet.
I've seen a guy run perfect downhills with 7024 5/32" to butt splice 14 ga steel purlins.
If you have the machine set right, and pull straight down with no manipulation at the correct travel speed, it leaves behind a clean concave weld.
Your bet would be better placed if it was based on the weld not passing bend or tensile tests.

Tim
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-05-2012 17:29
Tim I'm not doubting you because I haven't tried 7024 downhill for myself, but I expect that you have to be really moving to stay ahead of that very fluid puddle. 7024 runs like water when you're welding flat, which is why it has such a slick cap. I can't imagine trying to keep ahead of it down hill. I might have to see if I can round up a can of 7024 and give this a try.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 06-05-2012 16:55
Im calling BS on that one
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-05-2012 17:33 Edited 06-05-2012 17:46
Now, the bet is to run a downhill 5G bead on a piece of pipe with no trash or pin holes... no bevel? Just a bead on the surface of a pipe in 5G? You could loose your money, depending on who determines the "slickness" of the appearance.
Of course now, if the bet is to join 2 pipes and pass a bend test to B31.1, I'll get in on some of that action.

Yep, there's some "High" caliber welders out there.
I was trying to rustle up any and all extra work and stopped in a gunsmith's shop. He turned me down for specialty GTAW work because he had a friend who was such a great Heli-arc welder, that he had resurfaced single edge razor blades...
I only have this to say about all these super duper welder tales... Show me the legitimate Qualified procedure and test results.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 06-06-2012 22:58
I 2nd that. I watched a guy weld pipe with it once before just the cap and it slicked out real nice but he started at the top and rolled it out. even in flat the metal has to be new or supe super clean to lay down i nice bead.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-06-2012 11:58
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 06-06-2012 22:56
I looked at all the pics and its funny how the same sized piced of slag was in the same spot on every picture as well as the cuts on the metal. I say bet on tell him to bring caash checks are not accceptable lol
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Yet again a dumb 7024 question