Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welders in series?
- - By mooseye (**) Date 06-05-2012 22:45
I have done it with SA200s but can you connect two, say, miller bobcat 250s together to increase amperage?
Parent - - By meanstreak (*) Date 06-05-2012 23:19
You connect parallel NOT series. + to +  and - to -. On the machines need to balance the load.
Parent - - By mooseye (**) Date 06-07-2012 01:26
I don't mean to sound disrespctful or un appricative, but can you give me some references?
It has been a long time but I am pretty sure it was series on the SAs. Is there something different on the newer welders?
Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 06-07-2012 01:27
I should probably add that I am probably the only person who ever tried this so I don't expect a lot of first hand information.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-07-2012 03:34
If You put the machines in series, You would increase the voltage not the amperage. Series is like putting (2) 1.5 volt D cells in Your flashlight and using a 3 volt bulb. +from one battery connects to - on the other battery, the remaining + & - goes to the bulb.

Putting them in parallel will keep the voltage the same but add the amperage of the machines together, this is what You want to do.
Parallel is the way (2) 12 volt batteries are used in a truck with a 12 volt system.
The + from both batteries or welders are connected, the - from both batteries are connected, and the paired batteries or welders feed the truck, or welding operation.

Old machines or new machines, it will always be the same.
Parent - By mooseye (**) Date 06-07-2012 22:13 Edited 06-07-2012 22:16
I hate when I can't remember something correctly.
Now what were we talking about? lol

Then I must have connected both grounds to the weldment and then connected one stinger to the lead connection on the other welder and used the last stinger for the rod.

BTW, what I was doing was arc gouging circles around a few 300amp diesel machines. All that was left when I got to the jobsite was several SA200s, and as you may know, one won't burn a 1/4 inch gouge rod very well.  But two will. I do remember it was very smooth and stick free and fast.

PS  and oh yeah, the lead would jump 6" sideways when I struck and arc. And the SAs were doing a little jumping also. lol
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-07-2012 23:31
I don't want to sound to sarcastic but if you have the need for that much power would you not be better off renting a bigger machine for the time you need it instead of taking the chance of shorting or burning out your smaller machines??
Parent - - By mooseye (**) Date 06-10-2012 17:55 Edited 06-10-2012 17:57
I am sure you are correct, but it was one of those things where I needed to do some heavy gouging for about an hour and by the time I rented a machine and had it delivered the job would have been over.
I mainly just wanted to remember how I did it and confirm that I am not as crazy as some may think.

I feel like you are doing about the same thing when 8 guys are welding on the same piece with 8 different machines.  I mean if all are grounded thru one piece of steel and all are arcing at the same time.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 06-13-2012 07:38
It's not an uncommon practice. Miller even has instructions.

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/Paralleling.pdf
Parent - By meanstreak (*) Date 06-13-2012 17:38
No you are not doing the same thing with 8the grounds on the same piece. When paralleling you connect from one machine to. The other machine then to your ground clamp and the electrode holder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welders in series?