Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need some pipe advice
- - By gmwelder86 Date 06-05-2012 05:00
I have AWS pipe papers and I am set to take a UA test this week, Im a 4th year Fitters apprentice. Mind you these were done on my lincoln AC/DC buzz box. set 3/32 land 1/16 gap. Yes its a weird fit up but I have found that it works really well for me so... You can see on the bottom it closed up a bit but the rest looks solid to me. I am planning on taking the UA2 test, does anyone know what the max root height is, and cap reinforcment? Thanks

One last thing, the only part of my cap I seem to be having an issue with is finished out on the top of the pipe. I always end up with atleast a small flat spot. Is this something that would be acceptable? any tips on how to get a uniform finish on the top of the cap.

Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-05-2012 12:08
On your capping run do not stop at 12 o'clock - continue on to 12.30.
On the second side run over the top of the first capping run and continue on to approx 11.30.
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 06-05-2012 23:03
If its a lo Hy cap I break my rod over about 1oclock and drag it up. That seems to stack it up better...
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-05-2012 23:15 Edited 06-05-2012 23:17
I think there was a discussion about maximum penetration/protrusion of the root and seems like somebody said there was nothing actually stated, as far as an exact measurement on max height of the interior root. I also believe that they said it was up to the inspector and what he perceived to be excessive.

Looking at your pictures, not knowing what amps your running but it almost looks to hot or your moving to slow. The root to me from the pics just looks a little thick and then on your cap the crater just makes me think, turn her down some.

I agree with Shane, go past 12 and then when you do the other side go past 12 again, stop in different places the what I have done is whip out and then come back into it and pause.
Parent - By joelwelder (*) Date 06-06-2012 00:38
3/32 to 1/8" reinforcement on root and cap. there is alot of spatter in the pipe look's like your a little hot, i'd also consider a 3/32 root with a heavier land so you don't undercut. that's the root now the cap, the ua is getting tougher with thier testing. cap passes need to be perfect no spatter,undercut,peckertracks,filing,or grinding, cap beads need to be straight and uniform in appearance with no grinder or file marks. last time i tested welders at hall 60% were looked out the ua is getting tougher with these tests good luck.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-06-2012 04:57
Damn, that is a different fit up. lol  If it works for you then go ahead with it but be careful you don't undercut the top coupon when putting the bead in. Guessin that you're runnin pretty hot to get it to push through the gap when on the 6G. If you got time to play around with it, for sh*ts an giggles, try a 3/32 gap and land and run an 1/8 rod at around 70-75 amps and step it up enough to cut the keyhole  open a lil but still keeping the puddle wet. The maximum root reinforcement is 1/8 down to flush, any small ammount of suckback before doing your hotpass can be a rejection depending on your ATR's mood that day. As far as the cap being a lil flat up top, that's normal and as long as it's above flush then you're good. The UA has clamped down on their visual inspections alot lately. No grinding/filing on the cap is the big one to remember. The rest should be common sense as far as arc marks, spatter, etc.  They had some horrendous lookin coupons sent in for cert tests from some locals that never should have made it farther than the scrap bin. Seems the local shop rockets who thought they were the best in the world weren't as good as they thought. Best of luck to you on the UA2 and hope to see ya out on the road sometime brother!    Jeremy Wilson  LU 430
Parent - By gmwelder86 Date 06-06-2012 17:08
THanks guys, Been running at 75 amps for the root, its that or 65 with my tombstone. Used to much more adjustment on the job and at school. But this is what got.  Ill try a little wider gap, just in the past with what I consider my style of welding this just seems to work for me. I tend to like to put it in slow and steady when going up hill. Down is a different story. I think on the next one I'll run stringers and see how the cap turns out. If they are really worried about he visual I just think stringers would come out a little better in the 6G.
- By spgtti (**) Date 06-07-2012 23:41 Edited 06-07-2012 23:47
The WPS for a UA-2 is flush to 1/8" max reinforcement on the root and cap.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need some pipe advice