Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / When to quit?
- - By Stringer (***) Date 06-06-2012 23:16
I was first qualified on pipe in 1976 and have been working as an hourly welder ever since. Maybe a couple of weeks between jobs here and there, but mostly steady eddy. I can say with some authority that working hard and being really good at welding will absolutely guarantee never getting promoted. Question is, when should I pull the pin?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2012 23:45
Wow Stringer,

I don't think anyone can really answer that but you.  We don't have any information about the company, what is going on, benefits, pay, type of work, etc.  And even if we did we would only have your side of it.  And even if expressed very honestly we are not in your shoes. 

Depending upon how often you have changed companies, it would be difficult to get promotions.  But companies would be quick to hire you in to do what they know you do best...WELD. 

Now, with the right companies, why would that be a problem.  They should be paying decent so you can have a good income to provide for the financial needs.  If not, you should have pulled the pin a long time ago.  But still not my call.  Or anyone else here.  You have to be at peace with your decision and know ahead of time what you are going to do to replace what you have now.

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Good Luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-07-2012 00:23
I mean retire from welding, not just a company. Thirty five years is a long time under the hood. I'm still healthy. Brent, your point about it being my call is of course correct, but I was hoping someone might have some access to welder acuarial tables or something. I know AWS is always touting numbers of people retiring and some question those numbers against their prognostication of great need of certified inspectors.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-07-2012 02:25
I use to work at a place like that, if you were a good welder you would never move up, I moved myself up, I quit LOL I'm about to move myself up again real soon here
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-07-2012 03:43
Well, my experience is not adversarial, it's just that nobody can do it. Anybody can be vice-president after some prepping. Good grief don't do anything that keeps your welder from welding.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 06-11-2012 17:13
if they rewarded and promoted all the hard working golden arms they would be left
with the dumb and ignorant to do the work!!!
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 06-11-2012 19:22
Ladies and Gentlemen,
        In 1967 I started in welding a private US Army. I have been qualified as a CWI and did ASME B31 and API 1104 work. You might consider CWI'ing or instructing. Eye burn catches up with you!  I hope this helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
914-536-7101 , 212-839-6599 8-4 New York Time , 914-237-7689 (H) www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 06-12-2012 18:32
I am a CWI and my eyes are fine.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-13-2012 04:29
Well......why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?

Human beings use other human beings, and they call it "business". If you're ready to quit, rent a small shop and take the customers that come through the door. You will make about the same money, but the cash will go in your pocket before it makes the rounds at a regular job....

Just my opinion, but then I can't get along with people that use another human being for profit. It aint right.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / When to quit?