Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / JD Pipe Bender
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-06-2012 22:20
I'm looking at the JD model 32 manual pipe bender -vs- the Pro-Tools Pro 105. There's only about $30 difference between the two but seems I have heard a bunch of good stuff from guys on here concerning the JD brand.

Basically I'm getting tired of farming out cheap tube rail, or expensive tube rail that has bends that cannot be accomplished by weld elbows, not to mention that once I get familiar with my bender I could bang out a radius tube rail in an hour vs several hours of welding, grinding and so on.

Just looking for thoughts on the JD, worth $800 clams? Got a job I'm bidding right now that I could use it on actually. Pay for it from this job but everything else would be money in the bank.

Shawn
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-06-2012 22:41
Hello Shawn, I don't know about the JD, but I do know about the Pro 105. Highly dissappointed in that machine and their customer service. We got the Pro 105 with the air over hydraulic option. I had to do a bunch of machining on the various parts of the bender to even make it work, the radi on some of their dies didn't match the pipe diameter, etc., I was told that they had to "wear-in". Their customer service department was NIL in the way of help. I provided them with very detailed descriptions of our issues and pictures with additional comments and directions on what the problems were and I heard absolutely nothing back from them. I guess they got their money and that was that. Since that time I have vowed to not promote their equipment. I guess I haven't quite gotten over those frustrations afterall. Anyway, good luck on your purchase and implementation. Those tools do make a difference in your capabilities and also your bottom line many times. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-07-2012 02:58
Thanks Allan, I've gone over this in my head for a year or two now and doing the ol' buy ell's and put together tube rail and thought, what a pain in the derryaire and then day dream about bending a radius with the gauge so you know it was a 90 and how long it would take compared to welding out, grinding. Thanks for the info on the Pro, coming from you they'll be scratched off my list of possibles. I've looked at the Baleigh mechanical benders and their "affordable" is nowhere near my business budget. Thanks again!!

Shawn
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-07-2012 03:22
Hello Shawn, I don't know that you should totally rule out going a bit more extravagant on a bender just yet. Consider a possible lease/buy option on some of those more "advanced" benders and if you are a business owner the write off and depreciation benefits might justify a move in that direction. At least consider your options and check out the dealers in your area and their offerings on both equipment and purchase incentives. Just a bit more for your consideration. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-07-2012 03:26
I understand the lease option, that's how I got my new larger, better mig! 100% write off!! And in three years I can get a brand spankin' new one in the latest and greatest model! I'd like the Baleighs, pretty slick looking rig. I'll have to explore those options as you said. Running out of room in my hovel to bolt stuff to the floor!
Parent - - By motobilt (*) Date 06-07-2012 04:14
I have  a  Protools, air over hyd, and unlike the previous poster, mine has worked flawlessly over the past several years, not one complaint! I have used it in my Street rod business for years and always worked perfect, that being said, I have  a buddy who has a mittler brothers bender that has the center turn drive setup (as opposed to the pull the tube around the die type), and it is just the coolest thing, might look into MB, I have several MB products, and never an issue, hope this helps
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-07-2012 04:36
Hello motobilt, maybe you got the one that was built after I submitted the issues with ours. Just kidding a bit.... glad to hear that you have had good luck with yours. I was also a bit disappointed with the cycle time for a ninety degree bend.... ours requires 3 resets of the pin to complete a 90, very time intensive. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By motobilt (*) Date 06-07-2012 11:43
your right about the cycle time, thats why I was so impressed with the center spin Mittler bender, I make  180 degree bends in 10-15 seconds
- - By Dualie (***) Date 06-07-2012 04:32
I have an ercolina, i have ZERO Complaints about it.      Other than i forget my offsets every time i got to bend complex parts, otherwise its a great unit.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-08-2012 00:38
I use a nice Baliegh at work. Good as long as you use welded tubing, not the cheap ornamental stuff. Still, if I was buying for myself I would get a pyramid roller, the hydraulic model, because you can do long radius and spiral which is more artistic, I believe, than one non-adjustable small radius. You need both, really, and a nice mandrel bender from Germany would be nice.:lol:
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 06-08-2012 10:54
Buy a JD, then we can swap/ borrow dies from each other. Lol. Call me and tell you more about my bender
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-09-2012 04:04
Will do! I remember you said you had one of the JD brands. I'm looking at the 32 I believe. I'll give you a call sometime. Installing handrail today, going out and doing another job tomorrow. Hope to get it done and not be a two day or real long day install.
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-08-2012 14:56
Cummins
I picked up a Hossfeld with a load of tooling and recently acquired the hydraulics along with some tubing dies to bend heavier material and pipe.  Bought an 1 1/2" sched 40 pipe die from the manufacturer last month for a good size handrail job getting started.  The bender is very versatile with the right tooling and they can be found with a bit of luck at reasonable cost after market.  I'm pleased with it and it's a great addition to the shop but has it's limitations.  It's definitely not a CNC unit and takes practice to learn the many setups on tooling but real fun to play with as well.  I checked JD website and was impressed with some of thier innovations especially the anti-springback notches they use on their ring that holds the tubing solidly in place while ratcheting the cylinder for the next extension of degree in the bend.  The Hossfeld doesnt have that [or any other bender I know of] and it eliminate the need to reset/check alignment and plane when bending which is the major difficulty bending with the Hossfeld.  I manage with a pair of levels and supporting the material between two jacks and a support piece.  Repeatability has been good but setting the hydraulic bypass solenoid is a little exacting.  One set of rail terminations has 3 different angles of bend and there are three sets of different terminations but so far it has worked well.  I was slightly dissapointed with the distortion of out of roundness in the bend [1 1/2" sched 40], there is a small amount of ovalness and a minimally raised distortion on the leading edge of the bend but by sequencing the bends the distortion can be placed on the least visible/non-handled section of the rail.  I saw on the JD video thier bends had a similar small amount of distortion, nothing that would be a deterent on a commercial job possibly an issue on a high end residential project however although any of that work I do is not usually pipe.  Short of a mandrel bender I don't think distortion can be escaped but would like to hear from any others who have dealt with this and their solutions.  I'm using a 5" center line radius die on the pipe and the manufacturer's disclaimer was all about tensile strength of the material as their excuse for any distortion but I ain't buying that.  Tooling ain't cheap for any benders on the market and 4-500 a pop for any radius/material size you're going to do is what to expect but if it's going to save me 50 hours of welding and sanding 90 degree elbows on 100 fittings I'm ahead of the game [which doesn't include what I'd save dealing with odd angled fitting for 30 or 60 degree turns].  As someone else noted in this thread for large radius bends a pyramid roller is the most efficient.  The jobs I've got now all have 40'-100' radii on some railing sections, both pipe and square tubing, and I'll be biting the bullet for a roller.  After a lot of research I'm going with the Baileigh H55 largely because of the lease option.  12 months same as cash, two months payment down, and no payment for 30 days with no pre-payment penalty.  That option was the reason I went with Scottsman for the ironworker, I could afford the down and knew the job would pay it off and could expense the cost on the Schedule C with a 179 deduction.  Keep in mind, all the videos you watch on pipe bending from the manufacturers are done on short lengths and simple one shot bends, the real world usually means longer sections of material and multiple bends.  Hossfeld is sort of the grandaddy and isn't as high tech and can be a little cranky but it's versatility makes up for that limitation in my use.  I would like to hear from any other Hossfeld users to learn any tips or solutions to overcome it's limitations.  One thing for sure, whatever you buy after the first bend you are never gonna wanna go back to welded elbows.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 06-08-2012 18:22
I got a Model 32 this past winter and so far it's great.  Accuracy and repeatability are skills developed with this machine, they don't come installed:grin:  I've only made about a dozen bends so far, but like anything, ya gotta get used to it first. I've been + or - 2 degrees, but getting better.  Bend locations within .125".   I'm still trying to brainstorm a way to measure the true angle before the tube is removed from the die.  Any thoughts I ever had about building a bender myself went out the window when I first used the machine.  Probably the best value of any machine I've ever bought new.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-09-2012 14:52
Roger that on uninstalled accuracy and repeatability.  Have you tried fabbing up some flatbar bevel squares with your most common bend angles and laying them on the piece after backing off to check it without springback?  I don't find it a perfect soution either and am working on something better because even the shut off solenoid doesnt alway reproduce an exact replication.  Haven't figured out if that is a variation in material tensile strength or not.  Did discover that setting the shut off switch and bumping the bend 3-4 times will usually do better or make the difference in that last degree or so.  I keep a round slot on the back of the truck that will usually work for straightening out a degree or two of over bend, but again, not a perfect solution.  What do you do to maintain a single flat plane on multiple bends?  I'm using jack stands with a support piece and checking levels on each bend but that is time consuming although I'm getting faster I'd like a better method.  What about distortion/ovalness on the bends?  Are they holding their roundness or are they a little oval?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-09-2012 04:13
Thanks for the reply yojimbo. Good luck on that rail job! Guess I'll check with Baleigh on there model, I like the lease options! Little easier to let go of a few dollars a month that to pull the trigger on a grand or more at once. I know some guys are saying, " A grand? That's not much". Well, still not a huge business with tons of cash.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-09-2012 14:37
Cummins-
Shane Henderson is the name of the guy you want to talk with at Bailiegh, he seems to handle sales and can put you together with their lease guy from a different finance outfit.  They do a quick credit application over the phone and get back to you usually within a day.  Shanes number is 920 482 3220.  The section roller I'm looking to buy from them is about a grand more than the Eagle of comparable capacity but the same as cash lease makes it doable.  I'm assuming the Model 32 you are looking at will be hydraulic compatable because you will need that I'm sure you know.  I tried a 5' long 3/8" X  2 1/2" extension bar at first and it wasn't really enough.  If at all possible go with a double acting cylinder to convert.  Some good information on home built conversion for benders on Welding Web forum.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 06-09-2012 14:42
Another great accessory for any bender is a scotsman abrasive coping machine.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-09-2012 22:31
Thanks Yojimbo! I'll give him a call on Monday and see what they have to offer. Kinda liked their bender myself because of the "three speeds" it has.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / JD Pipe Bender