Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Code!
- - By The Ruffian (**) Date 06-10-2012 02:39
I'm trying to locate the the code or specs that Caterpillar uses in their NDT program. Looking for weld inspection, flaw detection and thickness criteria. If anybody has a clue, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-10-2012 08:54
Good luck
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-10-2012 08:58
When I was involved in building dump truck beds for Cat, we just used D1.1 for NDE requirements per material group. But, we had an in-house design that was approved by Caterpillar and using their materials.
Problem with Cat is that they have their own steels custom made with Proprietary recipes. Our QC library must have had about 20 volumes (At around a thousand pages each) of Cat steel material specs. Some steels are T1, and A36 that were just rebranded with a Cat number, but most had some pretty exotic formulas.
That most likely didn't help too much, but if you have a particular component to repair or build, my advice would be to contact Cat and see if they will give you their procedures, consumables, specs, etc.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-10-2012 15:19
I'm reasonably sure Cat uses D14.3 for it's equipment fabrication and repair.  While there are many connections with D1.1 you will find many variations within D14 codes.  And D14.3 should be the code applicable to the general equipment manufactured by Cat.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Code!