Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More handrail pictures
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-09-2012 23:20 Edited 06-09-2012 23:38
Well, got two jobs done between yesterday and today. The second job is one I've been wanting to get installed. This was a previous client and he was the one that got me going on the colonial style handrail. Enjoyed working with this client, I shoot him ideas and he works with me to change it or give it a thumbs up. Took us a few drawings and shuffling to get it but after a few emails we got the design hammered out. This rail will not be going anywhere for awhile. The only tube we had were the two posts holding up the awning. Everything else was solid steel. Solid cap, solid balusters, solid posts. No channel, no channeled caprail. This thing was heavy! This was the first time I used the rolled volutes, kinda like them.

I think I have bid out 6-8 handrail jobs in the last month and bidding more. Most residential and most as usual don't know what it costs to have custom handrail. Had one guy tell me, "just shoot me a price in the email and I'll go over it with the other three bids I'm getting". I asked about design ideas, balusters and he said, just price your standard handrail. That's when I thought in my head that this guy called the wrong guy. Told him I don't really have a standard rail. Usually it's whatever you want, I design, you agree, I build and install. He had about 4-6 feet of rail for two steps. Don't even know why I bothered to go by and check out the stairs and work up a price. Four bids for 6 feet of rail? 

I had a stainless rail job to bid for a pool. I did standard rail for the ladders, they had a jacuzzi so I designed something for it and then they had a beach landing. They wanted something over the top. So, I designed something over the top, out of stainless with some things done to the stainless that I had no idea on how I would pull off. Then they talked with the designer and she said she was worried that the handrail would become the focal point of the pool and she did not want that. Guess she was worried my rail was gonna outshine her pool design!! Hahaha!! So we went from over the top "custom rail" to basic pool rail built by a guy instead of ordered on the internet. Shot them a price and have not heard back from them. People talk "custom" all day long but it seems like there are not many out there that really want to pull the trigger.

Anyhow, enjoy the pictures, oh, the fourth picture you can see an old anchor insert, that is not my "oops" anchor. Those were from an existing rail that was not there when I got on the job.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 06-10-2012 14:28
Very nice looking
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 06-11-2012 01:16
Nice looking work.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-11-2012 03:05
nice work
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 06-11-2012 03:18
looks great, nice work on the lambs tongues, were they welded buyouts or hand forged?

after a second look i can see them but barely, nice work on the blending.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-11-2012 05:02
I buy them but the forge is in the process of being built. Once it's complete I might make my own but for me every little hand crafted thing adds a little more in my opinion. I've seen some hand made ones on some pretty expensive homes that looked like garbage. I buy them cause they look good, saves time and the client money. If I end up making them myself I'll likely spend 30 minutes or more making a volute or lambs tongue and I'll be charging for it. 

That's another thing, blending. I've had lots of practice on gloss black railings. I started out and you could really see the transition, now I can really nail it, usually, it just takes time to set up the two pieces, little welds, grinding, steady hand, patience, lots of patience. Tack them up, check them and not good enough, break tacks and try again. These were harder than usual though. Most of the time I have a frame of channel then add the cap on top and can blend them to where 99% cannot see the transition. This rail, second set of pictures was a solid caprail so getting it dead nuts even was difficult and not sure if I got it spot on but it's darn close.

Thanks for the compliments from everybody, keep working at it. Striving for that perfection.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 06-11-2012 05:25
I actually started tig welding the pre made lambs tongues on.     It started out as me just looking for something to keep my tig skills up but it really saved on griding and blending time.     I use a little 2" right angle grinder to both knock off the mill scale pre weld and to dress it up post weld.    Works really well for me.

I completely understand about the forge costing more $$$  i have a forge in the corner of the shop that hasn't been lit in years.    its cheaper to do buyouts and no one wants to pay the extra cash for hand forged items.    I do have a blacksmith down the street that will do fully custom parts.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-11-2012 07:12
I agree. The forge I'm building will be for, well, most likely for our porch and stair rail at home. Not many want to pay extra for hand forged but when you explain the railing to a potential client and you tell them, hand made you can tell whether or not you will get the job. Some don't really seem to care and others say, "wow, really?". I've turned down jobs because they want some cheapo garbage thrown up, told them I'm not your guy and thank them for their time and walk away.

It's pretty cool you have a blacksmith nearby. I'm hoping to remedy that problem when I get the forge done. I use the ol' mig for my lambs tongues. Put a gap and fill it in and just break the surface. Other things I do to help out are like secret recipes, and trade secrets! LOL! I find clients now and again that want top notch work, heavy built, custom type of stuff.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-11-2012 07:13
I agree. The forge I'm building will be for, well, most likely for our porch and stair rail at home. Not many want to pay extra for hand forged but when you explain the railing to a potential client and you tell them, hand made you can tell whether or not you will get the job. Some don't really seem to care and others say, "wow, really?". I've turned down jobs because they want some cheapo garbage thrown up, told them I'm not your guy and thank them for their time and walk away.

It's pretty cool you have a blacksmith nearby. I'm hoping to remedy that problem when I get the forge done. I use the ol' mig for my lambs tongues. Put a gap and fill it in and just break the surface. Other things I do to help out are like secret recipes, and trade secrets! LOL! I find clients now and again that want top notch work, heavy built, custom type of stuff.
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 06-11-2012 14:22
Who do you get your parts from?

Chris
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-11-2012 16:37
There are several out there, King is the largest out of Dallas, Baltimore, Los Angeles. There are several around though that offer pretty much the same things with variations here and there. Usually use the other ones for more custom things, not as typical.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-13-2012 04:31
cool
Parent - - By reitenger (*) Date 06-22-2012 00:09
If you need some more sources for some of the premade stuff, I can dig through one of my Anvilfire magazines I get from the blacksmith organization and throw them out here.

Once you start doing them hand forged, you will find that it is fairly straightforward and easiest to just spend a day making a batch versus setting up each time you need some.
If you ever need ideas, check out NOMMA or if you ever end up in Memphis you can check out the ornamental iron museum.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-24-2012 17:52
You part of NOMMA? Checked on signing up but not sure about dropping $425/year?
Parent - By reitenger (*) Date 06-28-2012 01:00
Worked for a shop that was a member.  Not really sure if it landed us any jobs or anything, but I do know the owner said he benefitted from some of the relationships he came up with from the group
- - By Junior Date 07-02-2012 15:18
It is looks amazing!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-02-2012 15:55
Shawn your the only guy I ever seen do that with a caprail.  I might just steal that from ya.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More handrail pictures