Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Don't Give Up
- - By KennyCalJr (*) Date 06-22-2012 18:55
To all my welder friends that can't find work, don't give up.. I know there isn't alot of jobs out there, but I just landed a GREAT job with lots of job security and plenty of work., with great pay and benefits.. at my age I hope to stay here and retire. SO to the YOUNG people out there don't GIVE UP!!!!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-23-2012 02:41
There is always work somewhere...sometimes it takes real hustle to get it.  It all comes down to if you really want it or don't.  Lots of people say they do......
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-23-2012 02:56
I'm leaving my job in a week, this radiation crap I'm around I want nothing to do with it, actually gonna go drive for a local welding company for the same pay and be in the A/C. Sure I'll get an itch to go back to welding but will at least learn where all the shops are around which will be good lol. Really like everything I'm learning just this dam NORM is freaking me out.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-23-2012 03:00
Whatcha doin Chris going to work for a welding supply?
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-23-2012 03:26
yeah why the h*ll not, as much I don't want to leave my fitting education behind I don't want to find out what bone seeker is really all about after 20 years of this cr*p
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-23-2012 15:25
All the guys at the welding supply I go to are not hurting if you can judge by the vehicles they drive! I don't see any wrecks like I own at any supply house! LOL!! It may turn out to be a career where you don't have to weld, cure the itch by doing stuff at home, LOL!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-23-2012 18:14
Yeah I figured I'd have to cure the itch by building stuff at home. I just picked up some aluminum today to build this pad for my boat while a friend is gonna help me build it and I can use his welder. Been talking about it a while finally went and got the material, gotta find a place near buy with a brake though since they didn't have time to bend it. I can see myself doing a lot of stuff in the future so a welder will have to get ordered soon. Might see if I can get a discount from this place lol
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-24-2012 04:45
You will be in a good position to find used equipment when someone is trading up, and I would expect employee discount on new purchases.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-24-2012 05:07
I didn't ask at the interview but down the road i will ask about employee discount on new welding machines for sure.
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 06-23-2012 03:25
You mean there isnt alot of work out there in the field?  I have somebody calling me once a week telling me that somebody is looking for a welder.  How bad do you wanna work?  How hungry are you?  Some jobs might not pay $60hr plus per diem, but i know my family has to eat.  I really dont have a choice.  $30hr vs $0hr waiting on big money $60hr.  Huhhhhh -> $30hr it is.  I know what you mean, but before you get the big money jobs you got to like what you do.  Retireing for me isnt a option, but like my grandpa told me " i will rest in my grave".  I know what you mean by not giving up cause your young though.  I was trying to rig out 23 yrs old.  I didnt know adamn thing.  I have busted my ass taking ****y jobs cause i wanted to weld.  For me now, if i get laid off or finish a job its on to the next one.  All depends on how bad you want, and you will have some sacrafices to make on the way.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-25-2012 02:09
Sometimes you just have to get in your truck and drive, if you want to get in the middle of a lot of work.....Just sayin.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 06-25-2012 14:07
Been over by Hobbs and Eunice NM for about the last month.  There so hard up for rig welders here there advertising for them on the radio.
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 06-25-2012 14:33
Any idea what pay is and hours there?
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 06-25-2012 15:08
Haven't been really keeping up with it but I believe our contractors are paying there rig welders somewhere in the neighbor hood of 30ish 15ish and 100ish plus fuel.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 06-26-2012 00:56
Would you mind finding out more info for me please
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 06-26-2012 03:49
If I hear it on the radio I will pass it on.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 06-26-2012 05:44
Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Don't Give Up