Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI to Comply with AWS D17.1
- - By jameslaz (*) Date 06-27-2012 18:48
I have been trying to find out just what we need to do to certify our inspectors to become CWI's in compliance with AWS D17.1. AWS D17.1, 7.1.2 states “weld inspectors shall be certified to the requirements of AWS QC1 or by experience, training, and testing requirements defined in AWS B5.2. But I just called AWS and told them what I wanted and the lady said we had to just take an open code book Veda (not sure) test. I have never heard of this so here I am hoping someone who knows what they are talking about can give me some guidance.

I also tried looking up the Veda, Vada and even beta test with no results.

Thank you for any help you may provide,

James
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-27-2012 19:13
James,

Check out this link:

http://www.aws.org/certification/CWI/

Tim
Parent - - By jameslaz (*) Date 06-27-2012 20:12
Tim,
       Thanks for the info. I have been on that page a lot and I guess that’s what is confusing me when the lady at AWS said just an open book Veda test witch I can't find anywhere. The page you sent seems fairly clear that we need to send our people to the weeklong seminar and take the test.

Thank you,

James
Parent - By jameslaz (*) Date 06-27-2012 22:28
So now I have a bit more information. I purchased AWS B5.2 and according to that spec we can use WIS’s and it seems like we could create our own internal training and testing program. What is the major difference besides AWS certification between a CWI and WIS? I really wish I knew more about all this.

Thanks,

James
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-27-2012 23:49
We can find out more if Lawrence or one of the guys on the right committee speaks up, but...

She should have meant 'BETA'.  I am not aware of a beta test for 17.1. 

What you would have to do is test to D1.1 or API 1104 along with the Part B and Closed book general knowledge test and become a CWI according to QC1 and B5.2.  THEN you would have your company develop a certification program (similar to NDT for UT, MT, etc) to get a company certification to D17.1 for open code book knowledge and application to your company's situation.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jameslaz (*) Date 06-28-2012 16:56
Brent,
        Thank you for the information. I am hopping you or someone can give me bit more clarification. Reading though AWS D17.1, 7.1.2 states “weld inspectors shall be certified to the requirements of AWS QC1 or by experience, training, and testing requirements defined in AWS B5.2. So B5.2 has me confused because it states we can develop our own internal training and testing program to certify our internal WIS’s. What make us need CWI’s over WIS’s. Sorry for my ignorance on all this but I have been tasked by my management to develop a welding program to AWS D17.1 and I am going to do my best to do it and do it right.

Thank you,
James
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-28-2012 18:13
Okay,  I'll give it a bit of a explanation here...

According to most any code (I'll reference D1.1 in particular because I am most familiar with it and I don't have ANY of them with me here in HI) the company may choose any person they want to be an inspector based upon Clause 1 'Definitions' and mainly in Clause 6, I believe it is about 6.1??  Anyway, it says that an inspector is either one by testing to an agency such as being a CWI to QC1, or by reciprocity, or by experience or knowledge is qualified to inspect. 

So your in house inspector is not REQUIRED to be a CWI.  But, the most accepted avenue is to have them qualify as a CWI and then go on from there.  See, after attaining the CWI status companies may still require an exam to prove you can inspect things the way they want, either because of the codes they are using or because of other requirements that may separate their job requirements from the BASICS that are involved with becoming a CWI.  Things like seismic requirements, bolting requirements, other codes like D1.3, 17.1, 14.3, etc.  All of these have code or specification materials but do not have AWS exams to show knowledge in their usage.  So, the company can test you to them if they so desire.  They can also test to specific Clauses of D1.1 that will show your level of knowledge of a particular Clause. 

Now, keep in mind also that QC1 sets up the requirements of the testing itself that one must comply with in order to pass all the qualifications to be certified.  B5.2 sets up the requirements one must meet in order to qualify to take the exams in the first place.  So, you meet the requirements of B5.2 first then QC1.  And having passed all the requirements, one of which are the exams, of QC1 you are a CWI according to QC1.  No matter which code you take the open code book exam to you are qualified to QC1 (can throw some people when they look at job specs that say that the CWI's are to be qualified to QC1 and you hear them say, 'What's that? I tested to D1.1.').

Now, this also applies to an engineer or customer who wants a representative to examine his project before it ever comes to his jobsite.  He can choose anyone.  BUT, they better know their stuff or they will be eaten alive and may be responsible/liable for work they had no real knowledge of QC requirements for. 

Thus, from what I am hearing you say and just from my own two tin pennies worth, I would recommend sending personnel through the seminar and exam to get them AWS Certified as CWI's to the standards of QC1 first.  Then, set up an in house QC program that includes additional testing of personnel to prove their knowledge and skills according to D17.1.  I don't believe that this testing is a requirement but it would help the verification of the process.

Again, hopefully some of the guys who actually deal with D17.1 standards in their work will chime in here.  They will be a great resource for you. 

Hope this was helpful.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jameslaz (*) Date 06-28-2012 21:03
Brent,
         Once again thank you for your input.
Thank you,
James
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-29-2012 01:54
I'll chime in now that several people have offered their opinions. I agree with much of what has been stated, there are just a few details that need to be clarified.

Brent has done a rather good job with his explanations, so I’ll try to clean up some of the details.

There is resistance on many of the fabrication committees to the idea of making it a requirement that all inspections be performed by individuals holding a current certification in accordance with QC1. I understand their reluctance. Individuals certified to QC1, i.e., CWIs, can demand more money than welding inspectors that are certified by the employer. CWIs have to abide by the Code of Ethics listed in QC1 whereas in-house inspectors certified by the employer are not bound by the Code of Ethics giving the employer more sway over those individuals’ future and how inspections are performed. In-house inspectors, certified by the employer, only have to answer to the employer.

AWS has two documents that address the qualification of welding inspectors. AWS B5.1 is a sister document to QC1. It lists the qualification requirements that are applicable to both in-house certifications, i.e., employer based certification, as well as the qualification requirements of an individual seeking certification to QC1. AWS B5.2 addresses the mechanism of setting up an employer base certification program. It has nothing to do with QC1.

QC1 is AWS’ certification document. It describes how AWS’ certification program functions and how an individual becomes an AWS CAWI, CWI, or SCWI and how certification is maintained. It also includes a Code of Ethics that every CAWI, CWI, and SCWI agrees to abide by upon accepting certification through the QC1 program.

When the individual seeks certification through the QC1 program, an open book code examination is one of the three exams administered by AWS. There are several welding codes to select from. As of this writing, AWS D17.1 is not one of the approved open book examinations. It is scheduled to be beta tested shortly. Once the examination has been vetted it will become one of the open book examinations offered by AWS or it will be offered as an endorsement. Currently, AWS does not offer the examination to the public. If the employer wishes, they can develop an examination for D17.1 as part of their in-house certification program.

I have offered an examination on D17.1 to several of my clients that are engaged in aerospace work for several years. It is part of an in-house certification program that meets ASNT SNT-TC-1A for visual welding inspectors. My clients will have a choice of electing to their in-house qualification and certification program or certifying their inspectors through AWS once AWS has completed their beta testing for D17.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-29-2012 03:26
Thanks Al.

It looks like I mixed up B5.1 and B5.2 as to how they function within the process.  That's what I get for opening mouth while 3000 miles away from my library.

Hope that helps you out James.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-29-2012 18:21
No problem. You did a fine job of explaining the situation.

Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI to Comply with AWS D17.1