Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Social Media Outposts
- - By Roque (AWS Digital Content Manager) Date 07-02-2012 14:03
Hello everyone!

In the past few weeks the American Welding Society has been trying to make itself more available in the social media world. We've started some new pages and think all of you would benefit from taking a look at them. Here's a list of some of the pages we've just started working on:

Facebook Page
AWS Tweets
Google+ Page
AWS Flickr Photostream

And for any professional or business related question, we recommend you check out our LinkedIn Page

We encourage you to provide us with feedback and tell us what you'd like to see more of from us on the web. We hope you enjoy the new pages!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-02-2012 14:15
Right.

Now I get up to 5 AWS related Facebook posts to sift through daily.

AWS does not have that much to say....    One post on FB every couple days would be valuable...   Several per day is annoying and overdone.
Parent - By Roque (AWS Digital Content Manager) Date 07-03-2012 14:52
We're doing our best to bring our followers relevant news and information. For those who are looking for more welding updates, our Facebook and Twitter would be good pages to visit.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2012 04:00
I'm with you Lawrence, this forum is the  best thing AWS has going as far as "social media".

I applied for membership to their Linked In group the same day they started it....it still says "your membership is pending" everytime I check my group activities on Linked In.  Obviously someone doesn't know how their new site works and hasn't accepted any of the people who MAY have applied for membership. 

Just for the record guys, even this non computer geek can go to "manage" on the group settings to accept people who apply for membership.  I started a group for AWS AZ Section a couple of months ago and have never let someone go over a couple of days from when they applied.  Try it...would make for some great PR to have timely responses.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Roque (AWS Digital Content Manager) Date 07-05-2012 12:40
Unfortunately, someone started a group under our name on Linkedin. We've gotten in touch and are still trying to change ownership over to us.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2012 18:48
Roque,

Thank you for informing us of these opportunities. 

I understand the problem with someone stealing a site name out from under you.  Happens with company names, logos, internet domains, etc all the time.

I will offer a couple of suggestions based upon my involvement with various groups besides AWS on Linked In:
  1) Use a slightly different name such as: 'American Welding Society Official Site';  OR 'American Welding Society Members'; OR 'American Welding Society, National'.   I see these variations amongst other national organizations I am part of.  People start unofficial groups with the organization name and even logo.  Most are money seekers wanting you to then pay them to get your own name.  Unless you have the entire name trademarked that is possibly the only way to get it.  Look at some of the District and Sections for AWS such as mine: 'American Welding Society, Arizona Section'.
  2) I see you at least got the logo removed from their usage.  It will still be misleading.  Probably my above suggestion is still a way to remove most of the confusion because members will realize that someone is golddigging by using our name.  I was going to suggest that but then with a last minute check noticed it was removed. 
  3) I would suggest not paying them if that is indeed what they are after.  Just go around them as suggested above.  With the logo on our official group and a group name that may lead members down the correct path I think you can eliminate the problem. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Roque (AWS Digital Content Manager) Date 07-05-2012 20:22
We've gotten in touch with the person who started that group. Apparently, he was searching for the AWS group and somehow ended up creating it instead. He agreed to take it down if I sent him instructions on how to, but I have yet to get a response from him on that. Bear with us while we work it out.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-05-2012 20:46
5 posts from AWS on my facebook page today (and it's not even 4pm)... at least two of them are repeats

Too much volume folks

I don't want to see 5 posts per day from my best friends!

Good things in moderation!

Facebook has an all or nothing paradigm..... Keep up the multi-posts per day and people will simple screen AWS off their facebook.

Too prolific
Parent - By ross (***) Date 07-13-2012 15:28
Lawrence,

I just tweaked my notification settings in Facebook and it has toned down the repetitive alerts. What's probably happening is that you are getting a notification for every comment, etc. This is easy to fine-tune in your Facebook account settings, which defaults to too many alerts, until you adjust it.

Hope that helps. We will continue to monitor your input.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-03-2012 19:59
Most of us Welders are NOT Socially Acceptable. So, Now what ?
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 07-05-2012 02:58
LMAO!!!
- - By Roque (AWS Digital Content Manager) Date 07-06-2012 14:23
Some of you may not be interested, and that's understandable.

But for those of you who are, here's a link to our official Linkedin group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4518394&goback=%2Egmp_4518394
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-06-2012 19:14
Thanks Roque.

I'll check it out when I go into my groups on Linked In later. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Social Media Outposts