Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Claw foot tub
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-14-2012 20:41
Alright,

I've got a line on a claw foot tub. Always liked them, actually had one in one of the many places I lived while growing up. Anyhow, dude said he tried powder coating it, when they did and put it in the oven the porcelain cracked. Now, they are trying to off load it. I've tried and am still searching the internet for "how to remove porcelain". If I can get rid of the porcelain and get it down to the metal I can go from there. He said it spider webbed the porcelain so som repair will not work. Get the porcelain off and I can powder coat it.

Anybody know of a way to get off the porcelain? Think I saw something about acid, hydro....something maybe. Any clues??

Shawn
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-14-2012 21:07
There are companies who Specialize in refinishing those old tubs. Do a search on them. You should find your answer somewhere near you. I had a Company in Houston do Ours. I will track down the name if you need it.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 07-14-2012 21:18
Sandblasting.  Lots of it.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-14-2012 21:50
Shawn,

Check this out.         http://www.tubking.com/home.html
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-15-2012 17:16
Thanks for the link Cactus.

They done powder coated it already so now it's gonna be twice as hard for them to sandblast the stuff off! I'll have to give him a call and find out how much to sandblast the not so old powder off. The enamel sounds good, got a place around here that sells an industrial alkyd enamel that might be tough enough for a tub! Just have to etch the porcelain to get it to stick.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-14-2012 23:23
Shoot it. Lots and lots of bird shot....
Parent - - By crahner (**) Date 07-14-2012 23:43
I have a Kohler from 1931 that we put in our house when we built and had great luck with sandblasting and then shot it with a urethane.  It has held up for 10 years.  I sold several to  the guy that blasted  and shot mine.  He did the same thing to those and sold them.  No problems have come up yet.  If your but scratches it, there are bigger problems.
Good Luck.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 07-15-2012 00:01
( If your but scratches it, there are bigger problems. )

Now that the funniest thing I have heard all day..!!!!
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 07-15-2012 02:05
Would that mean you are a hard ass?
Floyd
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Claw foot tub