Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Good luck doors
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-15-2012 23:30
These have been in the shop for a while...I called them my good luck doors cause every time I worked on them the phone would blow up and I would get busy.   These are for security doors on a courtyard at an out of state bank 8ftx5ft.  I could not get one fab shop to roll the arch for me...they all said it was too tight  (wtf??).  So I made the arches from flat sheet stock.  They had to be matched painted in aircraft grade epoxy and urethane.  You cant see it but they have hidden hookbolts that only open from the inside and retainers for the hinges with anti tamper bolts.  Neat little project.

Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-15-2012 23:45
Nice work Tommy!! They look great! I can't believe nobody could roll that for you. I priced out rolling a piece of 2" on a 29" radius to make a ring just the other day.
Parent - By tightline11 (**) Date 07-16-2012 00:34
hey tommy,  i don't know who u  tried, but if u didn't try bemberg iron works  on 9th street  might hollar at em,   they might be able to help you out     nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-16-2012 03:55
Good looking gates Tommy.

I have rolled 2" into a 30" diameter ring.  Now, it could have to do with the wall thickness.  The tight ones need more thickness to keep from wrinkling bad.  Also, as you get tighter it will start to move enough material that the edges can get to be like razors.  But a little work with a sander does wonders. 

With the wrinkle factor and possible sharp edges many shops around here don't like doing it either.  Customers tell them it will be okay then complain and won't pay because they don't like it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-16-2012 02:16
Tommy, looks great!  Checked out the set up, hidden bolts ups, again nice work..

so  you paint also?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-16-2012 02:24 Edited 07-16-2012 02:28
THANKS

Robert that is just one of those necessary evils.  I am not good at it, just have to do it sometimes.  Sorry for being confusing...it is not hidden bolt ups...there is a keyed lock on the other side that uses whats called a hookbolt...a deadbolt that swings out.

Bemberg was the first place to turn down rolling it.  I always give them a shot at brake work and shearing.  I got my own roller now, stocking up on dies.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-16-2012 16:33
Tommyjoking-
What kind of roller did you acquire.  I ask because I will be making that purchase by the end of the week hopefully and have shopped them around quite a bit.  Baileigh has had the best leasing deal so far but pricey on the dies at $900.00 a set.  I'm talking to Cole Tuve about a similar capacity pyramid section roller and wondering what your roller research indicated was the best buy for the money.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-16-2012 22:53 Edited 07-16-2012 23:46
yojimbo  my purchase will have ZERO influence on yours.:grin::grin:  My roller research consisted of being p(*&^D off at the local fab companies for not taking on a simple job.  I guess they are too busy to mess with me since I did not need 700ft rolled out.  I simply acquired a manual pyramid frame roller..I could not make myself part with $1500.00 for a simple set of axles and bearings and a little bit of formed/punched plate..so I bought the typical harbor freight special at 1/10th the price.  I am shocked at how well it works and have no reservations on rolling 10ga or even 9ga tubing or sch40 pipe.  Dies are only $165.00 a set but limited to 2" or is it 2.5" round or square.  I have a source for them if you have any interest.  At $900.00 per set I would bet your local machine shop could compete for those die purchases...especially on the square dies.   Shawn had some made for the same manual unit I have for I think $250.  Not a lot of difference between the two save bore size and keyway size.

I would love a hydraulic roller like you are looking at...especially for angle.  I would throw my money at a shear or brake first....heck  I am in more desperate need of a good ironworker and a swivel head bandsaw.   I am living in the stone age in my shop LOL!  One thing here one thing there it all adds up to capability.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-17-2012 02:07
Tommy-
I bought one of the HF tubing rollers.  The projects needing the radiused materials have been in gestation for as long as Blue Whale takes to bear it's young and I just couldn't stand the waiting so I bought one.  Heck, for $169 on sale I wasn't going to go broke.  Brought it home prepared to do some serious damage to it.  Fooled around with a couple of pieces of 3/4" sched 40, got a technique going to keep things in plane [18" pipe wrench and the hairy eyeball real high tech] and then slapped in some 10' pieces of 1 1/2" sched 40.  Rolled it to a 40' radius which is smaller than the radii I need.  Did the job, and I thought I might be on to something, but the unit I purchased didn't have keyways just some real cheapo low grade set bolts about 3/16" that just got their guts torn out including the threads on the dies.  Oh well. I bought it break it. Have plans to ream the dies and the turning shaft out and drill it through for some pins.  Also had to shim the dies up into alignment so they stay parallel casue it helped keep things in plane.  Not a loss at al really, I plan to use it for these jobs.  Can't see going through the headache of laying out templates for the radii, especially cause I'll have no idea what the contractor is actually going to give me- could be plus/minus 6" for all I'll know, so I'll mount the HF roller on the back of the truck and use 1/2" conduit onsite to roll and match whatever it is I get for curves.  Used the 3/4" in HF dies on some conduit over the weekend and it's gonna work.  BTW- the Stone Age got a bad rap.  We don't give Cavemen near enough credit IMO.  BTW. I've got a manual pipe/tube notcher from Lowbucks laying around I need to put up for sale- it's a bit of a bear and I was never impressed with the notches it does, but would work for cattle field fence I imagine.  Has the dies- 1" 1.25", 1.5".  Takes a good length lever and some strongarm but might beat a torch or grinder, but not by much. Anywa, whatever it is your using for tools, the hand that's working them sure does some nice work.
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-16-2012 16:33
BTW-
Nice Gates, real clean.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 07-17-2012 01:52
been there done that with the welded rolled sections.

Had to do some arches a while back that were 2"x3".    Had to plasma cut out 4 radius sections and then wrap them in plate.   ended up TIG welding them to save on clean up time.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Good luck doors