Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spiral staircase questions
- - By phaux (***) Date 07-26-2012 13:39
Building a spiral staircase for a customer right now. Seeing all these kits out there, is it more cost effective to buy a kit or fab everything yourself?

Are there any places to buy treads or just have a shop plasma cut them and brake the edge?

Lastly, how do you get the handrail to curve up and around the stairs, us a roller?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-26-2012 13:47 Edited 07-26-2012 13:59
Hello phaux, unless there are some special considerations for your spiral staircase the kits are likely much more cost effective and easier to work with. If you become more familiar with the associated challenges for engineering, fabricating, and other details for these, then you would likely consider taking this on in a more custom fashion of your own. I'll see if I can find some of the photos that I have for examples of a couple of different types and include them here. As to the handrail, some outfits have rollers that can provide the correct diameter/pitch considerations for a spiral rail. Otherwise, there are some mathematical formulas that are used to provide the correct rolled diameter and then you need to "stretch" this diameter to attain the correct pitch. I am sure that others will chime in here and provide you with more options and great advice. Good luck and best regards, Allan

EDIT: the images and the document that I included with this post shows one spiral staircase that was a direct measure where the attachment of the stair treads was directly applied to the center post. The other examples showed a more common type where the treads are attached to sleeves so that they can be slipped down over the center post and easily indexed to the appropriate pitch. The word document that is in this post gives a mathematical formula for figuring flighting or flat bar style handrail, it can also be applied to pipe if you use the centerline dimension to determine OD and ID measurements and then apply those numbers to the formula. Hope this helps a bit or at least doesn't confuse the issue.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-26-2012 15:10
I have to agree with Allen. The kits are fairly inexpensive actually. I priced out custom building a spiral for a client and I could buy the kit for a lot less. You tell them the height, diameter and they can get you a price back before the end of the day. The spiral stair folks will sell steps to you. I priced them out at a machine shop and then contacted one of the companies online, think they were out of Texas. Anyhow, they were a heck of a lot cheaper than the machine shop. Actually, I think I priced out a railing from them plus treads and I was going to build the rest, powder coat, etc. It was still cheaper to just buy the kit from them!

I've priced out two spiral stairs so far. Kit and built from scratch. Both times clients said, "we're gonna have to think about it". I don't think they realize just how much spirals stairs can cost they just know they like them.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-27-2012 00:56
Whether you have stuff rolled or you do it yourself the trick is the attachment to the roller.  You put a "kicker" for lack of better term that applies pressure to your rolled stock as it feeds through the roller...so you are bending it in two directions.  Nicer hydro rolling machines offer this as an attachment.  I have farmed the rolling out before...give them a strict drawing and get a FIRM bid on the fab.  Plan on using 11ga or so wall tubing ....the light stuff won't bend right and the really heavy stuff won't either because of its own weight.  If you do it yourself it is a royal pain to get it all set just right to deal with just 20ft sections of material....you will have scrap, no doubt, just from set up.  If it is your first one and your rolling it, figure a 25% loss on all your grabrail and base wraps to get it figured out.  I have seen guys go the other way and just step the rail up and out in sections but I hate the way those look...it is cheap and easy but it sure looks like it too.  Do not be scared to price it high if it is your first one especially.....nice custom built spiral cases cost.

Good luck with it....hey not everybody will take it on.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 07-27-2012 03:29
depends.

If your already set up to do the rolling and forming of the treads then you could probably handle it in house.     IF your farming out the rolling and the bending you would probably be miles ahead to just buy the kit.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 07-29-2012 13:44
I think they are a great challenge to think ahead and really figure out details. On the other hand I think they are a sign of poor architecture and I wouldn't live in a structure that needs one. Realtors tell me the only people who buy them never had one.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 07-29-2012 22:29
what stinger said is very true.   Ever try to move a king size bed up a spiral?   AIN'T HAPPENING.

the only place they are used around here anymore are poorly thought out loft conversions and when the fire code mandates secondary egress on poorly thought out remodels.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-05-2012 05:37
In good designs people use them as an architechtural feature, i.e a backup stair case or for a leisure area or something.  you are right about them being just about the most impractical thing ever. Rich folks want them though.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-05-2012 05:43
You are right about good designs, however, often they are used as a space saver.

If they were about 25' in diameter, they would be EASY to walk on.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 08-05-2012 05:44
probably easier to have one of those grand split stair cases if they were 25 feet wide..
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-01-2012 00:26
You said it Stringer, my first one was fun to figure out, get your head wrapped around all of the in's and out's.
- By Tim655 (*) Date 08-10-2012 18:59
Here is an excelent video..               http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_5001_build-steel-spiral-staircase.html
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spiral staircase questions