Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / To all you one man band guys
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-29-2012 01:29
Sitting on the porch, I announced I am taking a day off.....my wife and son then engaged in conversation talking about how that did not mean much....last time Dad took a day off was at the lake a month ago.  What they meant is every time I say day off that usually just means I am not putting on my rockys. My day off today was figuring three bids, putting four RFI's out, emailing various people about schedules...and then tracking down some hard to come by alloys round here.  Cheers to all you guys putting in the 100 hrs a week to keep it going.  I would not change a thing but damm..I earn my money.   I reckon it is because I am working my tail off to grow it bigger.....maybe one day I will have a weekend back and not be stressing the job flow so much.  Makes me think I just need to go out on a pipeline for a while....just go out and weld....that sounds kinda nice.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 07-29-2012 01:48
Tommy , I know exactly what you mean! I've been sitting here at 9:30 on a Saturday night going over drawings that I got yesterday so I will not be completely lost when I talked  to man about them Monday. Worked in the shop all day today. Even when a take a vacation I usually spend at least one day in the hotel room working on some last minute bid or ordering material so it will be there when I get back. You are never off work. Seems like there is always something that has got to get done ,but wouldn't have it any other way!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-30-2012 02:39
This is life on your own....
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-30-2012 03:06
Working on a proposal right now. Just emailed another proposal a few minutes ago. I like to pace myself though!!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-30-2012 14:28
Don't forget; according to obama you didn't build that.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-30-2012 23:08
I know, I know, the government gave me this.  :lol: I didn't earn the $700 on a job that I used to start this, just a figment of my imagination. It's weird though, apparently the government built, started my small business but they sure as heck are not doing anything to help me sustain or grow it!!! Could use a small business loan to build a real shop but they have 1000 reason's not to loan me the money. Suppose if my company name included or was part of General Motors, Sally Mae or something all I would have to do is cry a little and pay myself as CEO a crazy large salary with an even larger bonus.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 07-31-2012 03:44
Life is not fair.  Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.  No one owes me anything.  If and when someone does take the time and energy to help me I am truly GREATFUL for it.  I go through life knowing that the odds are stacked against me but thats ok...!  Work hard a be prepared.  There is no such thing as luck..!  Luck is when preperation meets oportunity.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-31-2012 11:20
Exactly, that's why I've given up on loans, just going to do it by myself as usual.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-31-2012 18:59
If you can't deal with stress.......you should get you a nine to fiver.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-01-2012 00:23
Less stress in running a business then there is in having a 9-5'r.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-01-2012 00:43
How bout when you just paid all your bills with the last check you had coming in, and the best case scenario is that someone calls you for a job tomorrow......and you know their check is still gonna be 45 days out?

Just sayin.....that's highly stressful business, friend.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 08-01-2012 00:49
That would be business as usual , and yes very stressful!  I have been in that spot to many times to count.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-01-2012 01:55
I've become very good at sitting on my money, very good. Two more bills to be paid in the next few days, $500 coming in a week or so, 25 or so days and large check with another large down payment a few days out. Will have plenty of money but will still sit on it like an old miser. Learned early when I started that I needed to resist the urge to splurge. Besides the money in the bank I've got emergency money tucked away that will last for about two months of bills.

I've wanted an updated radio for my truck for about 3-4 years, a usb radio. Wanted some steps for the truck for the last year and other frivolous things, custom door for welder, welder paint job, and everytime I think about it I wait and wonder how much money the radio will make me, the steps or the fancy paint on the welder and sit on the money. Everytime I say I'm low on money it just means I'm lower than what I really want in the bank.

It's hard to rattle me about that. Now, mess with my money and I'll get p.o'd in a New York minute. :lol::lol:
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-01-2012 02:51
Shawn you sound like me I still have a cassette player in my 1998 jeep wrangler and friends are like this is an antique why don't you get a cd player. New car has one and i still listen to the radio. I only used the cd player maybe 5 times LOL. Hard to spend money sometimes on everything in the store because i was raised to save and not spend but when i do it's usually on something big
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 08-01-2012 03:41
Or when you been bidding like mad, not getting anything burning through cash and finally land a NICE size job.

Then you gotta figure out how to finance the SOB on the down paymen and the first draw thats more than 30+ days out.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-01-2012 03:55
Yep. Or try this one on for size; you bust your hump, save money, and spruce up your rig so you can hit the road next week to ND.......AND THEN YOU ROLL IT OFF AN EMBANKMENT AND TOTAL IT!
yeah, true story.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-01-2012 12:27
Heard about that! Good thing your o.k at least! Yeah, that would really stink. Hope everything works out for you though.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-01-2012 23:31
Luck is for losers....remember that one. It's all me.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-02-2012 02:09
Damn that sucks. Glad you're ok. I guess thats Gods way of keeping you in Colorado cause thats where he needs you right now.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-04-2012 05:17
Well it's either that, or a damn good thing anyway because that truck was having some issues man. This 84 I put the 427 in is about as bulletproof and simple as you can get.

No worries!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-04-2012 12:51
427!! Wow!! Sourdough are you going to have a tanker truck following you full of gas?! Awesome engine but I'm betting that thing likes to drink! We used to have an old Cheby 4x4 with a 327 and a four speed, what a beast! It was a beater, used for field work but it was a tough ol' bird!
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-03-2012 00:17
Damn dude, sorry to here that but got one to top that,  send my rig to have oil change and new tires put on while I take a vacation to my trailer in Raynolds Pass MT. THIRD DAY there have a bad windstorm rips awning off trailer and damages two roof vents.Get two new vents and on last trip off roof of trailer p.o.s ladder collapses and I get a compound fracture sticking out off skin.   After I come out of hospital and talk to wife she informs me weld rig while going to oil change has developed a head gasket leak mechnic says new motor 15,600.00 . I dont thick so.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-04-2012 05:18
Crappola, pard....!
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-04-2012 05:25
Must me a real winner of a mechanic or just a crook.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-04-2012 12:45
$15,600.00 for a new motor.....to repair a head gasket?? What kind of idiot mechanic is that? Must be a Ford? Not bashing, just wondering.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-01-2012 04:12
Dualie   NO DOUBT!!

Glad your ok Sully....still crazy as a *&&^^%*&*(* but no worse for wear.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 08-02-2012 17:03
Got any pics, Sourdough? Yeah, I'm sick that way....
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-03-2012 03:04
i got one...good thing he has a hard head
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-04-2012 05:19 Edited 08-04-2012 05:36
I'll try....can't figure out how to resize images but here it goes.

nope, exceeds size blah blah.....
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-04-2012 17:10
You can get a photobucket account...upload them there then you can resize them there.  You can click on your picture and select IMG code and it will copy a link you can just paste into your post.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-05-2012 06:37
send them to me ill do it for ya
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 08-05-2012 20:56
Always working, cant shut my mind off. Constantly thinking about jobs, etc.............
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-05-2012 21:15
I know what you mean, watching a movie and inside I can still tell my mind is working, scheduling, shuffling money, thinking about pricing. I've woken up in the middle of the night from a dream and be working on prices, we are sick....very sick!! :lol::lol:
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-08-2012 03:09 Edited 08-08-2012 05:51
Watching a movie....how the heck do you get time to do that>?

Yes I think you are right it is a sickness.....countless times I have been making bids in my head whilst doing other things like sleeping.:twisted:

I want a vacation but I am unsure If I can make myself take one for real.

Tonite it is 10pm and I am still in the shop drilling and tapping stuff for a new (big) client, I do not even care they decided to change design after I have spent $$$$ on the first one, they have deep pockets and they don't care about 4 figure mistakes....... they just want it done and I am more then happy to oblige them.  Tomorrow I go put it all in and hand over a fat bill.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-08-2012 04:24
Not too long ago I was talking to another welder who ruined my life for about 3 months. He stayed on the job because of his impeccable pucker. He went into this short dialogue about how you have to have a brilliant level of intelligence to be able to run a welding rig with any success........I started laughing and the job went spiraling downhill until the very end. When he quit.

I used to say the same thing, but it's not true. Not really. Mainly, the ingredients for success as a job shop biz, or a field welding biz are equal parts old school values, good work ethic, and sheer tenacity. A healthy I.Q. certainly helps exponentially, but is only required if you want to get bigger and bigger with your business and take on 5 titles at once. Success on any job is really only about how bad you want to do a good job. It takes some guys much longer to do the job, but they get it done nonetheless. My arrogance in the past took me on a long detour around what was the glaring truth. Now, I know all I have to do is wake up in the morning, gear up, and want to do the best I can with what I've got. It isn't easy, but I am one of the most tenacious bastards you will ever meet. I never give up. Ever. And so.......I will always survive.

So for all the guys who breathe, eat, and sleep impossible geometry, and the roller coaster of numbers that keep your head in the game, my hat's off to you. In my opinion you are winners, as opposed to the rest of the crowd. You won't get caught with your pants down, and if you do the onlookers watching will get a good look at the big brass balls hanging there between your legs. We have a right to be proud.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-08-2012 05:50
Old school values and sickening work ethic.....yea I figure that is pre requisite to make it all go. High Intelligence is not necessarily a requirement...I know several successful biz owners including welding shop owners who are dense as a brick...throw enough money and man hours at something and you can build anything.  I reckon plenty of folks on here know somebody similar. 

Yea you said the same thing I was getting at...maybe in a more eloquent way.  Screw running a rig Sully, just start writing, with a really good editor to put it in order for ya I think you might be able to make some cash
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 08-08-2012 06:48
You can be good or you can be lucky.   I will not stand here and lie,  i will take either!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-08-2012 07:27
(Laughing) think so huh?

Mania sells, doesn't it......
Attachment: 1.bmp (900k)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-13-2012 14:13
Tommy, I posted a tip in the tricks of the trade section you might like....

You interested in that blue machine? I pulled it off my trailer and unwrapped it. If not, let me know cause I'm gonna advertise it. Found some doors for it locally, and it's ready to go here in a couple days. Thanks pardner!

Oh, and of course I would deliver it.......:lol:
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-14-2012 02:31
Yea I like it for the humor factor....screw the necessity factor...I just can't work as hard as you bro!

Cant do it on the big blue....I have got way to much material and labor financed out right now...I appreciate the hell out of it but I cannot bite right now and with these contractors I may be strung out a lot longer.  If you can sell it by all means do so....if you don't I will pick it up from you a little later.  Cash talks b^&^%T walks and right now I am all out of cash.

Heard anything on the water tank yet?  I got my fingers crossed for  ya.....I looked at the prints and it had in bold print "to be done by representative of the "insert water company here" on all the steel work I could bid.  I reckon Joe Bobs cousin has a lock on all that work.  LOL
Too far for me to drive for too little anyway.  If you do sell it too em, I will come down to sew it together if you need an extra hand.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 08-14-2012 03:10
Feast and famine.   You gotta love the buisness...

weeks like this make me want to open a taco truck...
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-14-2012 06:04
A furry taco truck would be lucrative...
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-16-2012 02:03
A sensibly shaved one might be even better.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 08-16-2012 02:07
Of course it would need to be a pink taco truck...
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-17-2012 04:36 Edited 08-17-2012 04:39
well yea...I did not know they come in any other color....I must be sheltered.

Got one dang check in today finally!!!  had another pay me on the spot...that was amazing.  I reckon I got to start taking credit cards ....I have been hit up about that from big companies 3 times this month.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 08-17-2012 05:35
Im in the same boat with the Credit cards.    I missed out on around 10K worth of work cuz i had no way to process credit cards,   and i wasn't going to finance an out of state company that much on a phone call.

Luckily i been pulling in some quick cash jobs to keep the bills paid till the checks start appearing.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 08-18-2012 11:31
Plug one of these https://squareup.com/ into your cell phone and accept credit card
payments works well any where. They take 2.75 percent of total but its better than
missing out and i usually increase the bill when i know they are going to use credit card.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-18-2012 14:36
I saw that on tv the other day and wondered about it. You using that setup Jssec? Looks like a pretty good deal. I missed as well, guy said you take credit card? I said, not yet. He said, we'll get it from petty cash. When I got the project done and delivered he said, "I'll give the invoice to accounting", now apparently we have to wait 30 plus days for $275.....all because I didn't take a credit card! LOL!!
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 08-21-2012 11:55
Works well you can attach a photo of the transaction and email a receipt just tack on the additional fee from Square.
As for smart phones I have to leave mine in the truck because the speaker magnet will collect all the metal dust in the room and the speaker goes bad.
I get my HTC Lite speaker cleaned out about every 6 months.
Smart phone is very handy you can find a calculator for everything.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-21-2012 17:39
Thanks for that info. I checked it out this weekend then went out to the electric company Monday. They told me about guy near there that does tree work for them. Called him, went to where they were at and talked for a minute and he says, "you take mastercard?". I said, nope, but when I get home I will be setting it up.

Bad part is, now you send them an invoice and wait for 30 days until they open the check cutting vault for that one day a month. Yep, the credit card thing will be worth not having to wait 30 days!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / To all you one man band guys
1 2 Previous Next