Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal buildings
- - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-01-2012 20:24
Any body know the labor rate for putting up metal buildings around south Texas. I have a customer wanting 3 2 30x30s and a 30x60 the 30s are fully enclosed
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-01-2012 23:03
Shad, Call me tomorrow and I will tell you how to figure it.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 08-02-2012 02:36
I used to get $3 a square foot for bolt ups and up to $6 a square foot for weld ups..

Every building is so different Shad.. Do they want insulation, do they want weather stripping between each sheet, do they want seal foam on the ridge cap and eves, what is the eve height, Do they want the wall tin put on upside down for a different look..

Every building has its dirty little secret hiding that will suck up your money if you bid it wrong..!! 

I made good money building them but I just got sick of the headache..
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-02-2012 05:07
I cant stand building them even helping to build them it started out as a trade deal for a mobile home it was 2 buildings (hay barns) pretty much now its 3 2 closed up and 1 just a roof and she wants to pay cash suppose to have all the material i figured it at 3 and its almost 11,000 for the 3. I really want to just pass on the deal shes a friend of my wifes and we all know how well friends can screw you.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 08-02-2012 11:43
Oh ya...!  That friend deal can be sticky.  Anymore I ether help a friend with no charge or I dont do it at all.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-02-2012 12:26
Lol I won't do 3 buildings for free no way no how. There will be a contract that's for sure
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 08-02-2012 15:44
If you do a contract make sure it states in writing an hourly rate for ANY change orders.  Friends have a way of asking for little extras.  Those extras add up quick..!  If think it out Shad and bid it right you will make almost double what we do in a rig yard. There was a time in 2007 that I was making 10k a week by myself.  There is money in it and there are major headaches if you run into the wrong job..!
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-02-2012 17:07
Good idea thanks my brother will be helping me so the hourly will be 100 an hr that should keep things strait.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-03-2012 21:44
$3 or $6 per square foot is pretty darn good. Did some math today and not to shabby. Working for family is a pain when they want to pay. Causes to much tensions if something goes wrong that is not your fault but something you'll have to figure out how to remedy. Think I'll have to look into some steel building stuff around here!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal buildings