Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / what crack heads will sell..,
- - By makeithot (***) Date 09-08-2012 05:20
bought this old girl for 1200.00 she,s a bit of a fixher upper but still has the heart, back in the water next week. sailing south in the spring.
Attachment: thistle1.jpg (0B)
Attachment: thistle2.jpg (0B)
Attachment: thistle3.jpg (0B)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-08-2012 21:48
Nice find! Looks like it would be fun for sure!

I was going to the park with my wife the other day, she was driving and been down this road 100 times before when I noticed a guys house just before the park and he's got 5 or 6 sail boats, smaller than yours but got me to thinking as we have a couple good size lakes around here.

Looks like a blast man!! I'm jealous!!! :lol::lol:
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-09-2012 06:10
I cruised on My sailboat for most of 12 years ['91-'03] from Annapolis Md. to the Bahamas & Florida keys.

The plan was to sail south in the fall, but it was usually winter by the time I left. I was planning to head south in early January '04, but the Chesapeak Bay froze over and stayed pretty well frozen for 2 months, so I didn't leave 'till fall that year.

I stayed in the Bahamas the summer of '03 and Key West the summer of '05. There were close calls of tropical storms/huricanes in both places, so in the later years I made it a point to be back in Annapolis by August. There I anchored out in Back Creek in a really secure spot with high ground all around.

Those were good years, had My health continued, I would have kept doing it.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 09-09-2012 15:54
Dave , just starting out on this venture myself, have done a fair amount of sailing but it's a learn as you go think. what I was curious about the stepping of the mast's on this boat the mizzen mast is racked back a a few degrees and the main is more or less vertical. Question what determines this, weight of the boat, point of sail etc.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-10-2012 02:22
The rake of the mizzen will only have a slight effect on the helm loading, much less than that from sail trim of all the sails.

Is there a cable from the top of the mizzen to the top of the main mast? There is less support on a mizzen than on the mainmast, and it doesn't need as much because there is no headstay to fly a sail on like the jib on the mainmast. Some have no backstay, cant tell from Your pictures.

The important thing is that the mast is as straight as possible on both tacks, upwind and downwind when the boat is being driven hard.

It looks like You have aluminum masts, check for corosion at the mast step and all fittings & attachments on the mast.
on wood masts, You would have to check for rot, easy to see if they are varnished, harder to spot if painted.

Check the ends of all the rigging cables for broken strands, particularly at the ends, and split swage fittings.

Check for corosion of the chainplates & bolts, ocasionally they deteriate from crevice corosion, but this happens between the chainplate and hull, and on the bolts where they go through the chainplate & hull. This is causd from water ingress but no oxygen exposure to maintain the chrome oxide film that keeps stainless from rusting.

Be sure You have good ground tackle [anchors & rode].

An excellant book is "Ofshore Cruising Encyclopedia" By Linda & Steve Dashew. It is expensive but worth it. You can probably find a used copy for a lot less.

I understand that there is a nice cruising area around Anacortes Washington, never been there.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / what crack heads will sell..,