Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In Uniform Getting Out Soon What About Mil Qualification ?
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 09-11-2012 12:53
e-mail in asking question on level II NDT equivalent out in 12 months!
My answer
      In broad terms going beyond your question I strongly suggest going to www.gibill.va.gov and calling 1-888-442-4551. In specific to your qualifications with an ETS date in hand sending resumes to perspective employers with a cover letter will give answers you can take to the bank. The www.anst.org would give you good answers. A college degree engineering - technician speaks Loud. My ETS was 3 Nov 1968. Qualifications machine gunner etc.. Got an engineering degree. I hope this helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen CWI- Welding Instructor Private US Army - Dockbuilder - Engineer weld@spemail.org
914-536-7101 , 212-839-6599 8-4 New York Time , 914-237-7689 (H) www.lenandersen.com Len Andersen - Construction Project Manager - CWI - Marine Diver - BSChE - Welding Inspection Instructor

Veterans are asking. What is your answer?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-11-2012 15:17
This is a good post Len.  Thank you.

The AWS has actually made progress with the DOD and all branches that do Aviation work by adopting AWS D17.1 and allowing it to superseed Mil-STD-1595A  and MIL-STD-2219

While welding certs (especially D17) are not often transferrable from Active duty to civillian production work..  Having a homogenous standard does allow civillian contractors to "understand" what they are looking at when a Veteran presents a resume' listing DOD performance qualifications.

Shared standards work both ways....  Civillian trainers can prepare people for military duty and when they enlist actually be billeted in jobs/tasks which they have a running start on (Crazy right?).......... Plus Veterans leave with qualifications that are actually understood in Non-DOD contracting...  (a true win-win)

More of this is needed......... (Are you Listening U.S. Navy??????????)
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 09-11-2012 16:53
Larry, I think the Navy won't much listen as long as they build submarines and reactors.  That's quite an exclusive little club there, and it is well-funded and backed by a huge contingent of political types.  You would think that they would give up 1688 and 1689, though, still.  It would simply allow greater flexibility in the second tier contracts, so smaller subs could make some of the ancillary welded assemblies where those two specs are required.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-11-2012 16:37
On all levels I think our system has seen some major changes: Until about the time of Vietnam being a veteran was a very distinguished status.  Then, Vietnam vets really took a hit and so did veterans from many backgrounds for several years.  I believe it has finally come back around to being something that is a very honorable and recognized status.

Thankfully, as Lawrence pointed out, many of their military experiences and training are also being broadly recognized in the private sector now.  But you do have to watch what skills and education you go with in the service.  You may greatly limit your opportunities.  And, sometimes you don't have much of a choice.  You go where they want/need you. 

Another advantage for all, high school grads, college grads, military personnel, is the internet and the ability to search for jobs as well as the education and skills required for those jobs so you can prep yourself and build a marketable resume.  Get used to a computer and working the internet, it can be one of your best friends if used correctly and not abused with games and other nonsense time wasters.  Networking on forums like this one, online classes, job searches, etc. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.  But with some military background and, if I read Len's post correctly, an engineering degree there should be many opportunities awaiting.  But you will have to work hard to get the job in the first place.  Then, work hard to try and keep it. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-11-2012 19:03
Good points Brent.
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 09-11-2012 21:39
I would agree that one should try to focus their AFSC / MOS / Rating to reflect marketable skills on the outside, but also try to go into jobs that allow for security clearances above simply confidential. In most STEM job fields having a clearance especially in an active status is very marketable. The clearance usually is active for ~two-years post separation and if one is going to college after separating active duty  he or she may want to look into transitioning into a slot in the guard / reserve. Transitioning into a slow in the guard / reserve would allow them to possibly keep their clearance active through their new AFSC / MOS / Rating if required. Going into the guard / reserve also allows for not only the GI Bill (pre or post 9/11) to be used, but also for the state's tuition assistance and drill check.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In Uniform Getting Out Soon What About Mil Qualification ?