Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heard of what ever that can weld pipe from the inside?
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 09-28-2012 13:20
Ladies and Gentlemen,
        You know a robot or heard of whatever that can weld pipe from the inside? My concern is 20 inch -30 inch diameter steam pipes that would wet hot and have no pressure with coming from an opening more than 50 feet away. Any info appreciated.
Sincerely
Len Andersen CWI - Engineer weld@spemail.org
914-536-7101 , 212-839-6599 8-4 New York Time , 914-237-7689 (H) www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 09-28-2012 15:29 Edited 09-28-2012 15:42
Sir,

not sure honestly after I was reading Mr Shane Feder's post*, whether this subject could be some sort of "joke"?

I nonetheless seem to recall TOSHIBA had developed a remotely controlled system for internal bore or nozzle application in the nuclear field.

Unfortunately I'm uncertain whether this wasn't dealing with LASER.

However, I mean to have saved a technical paper on this somewhere in the depths of the innards of this machine here and will give it a try to find that.

My general recommendation is to look toward nuclear**. If even something similar exists in this direction then it's been developed there.

The US of America do certainly accommodate some of the worldwide leading top-notch companies (AMI, LIBURDI,...) and maybe they do have something available in this respect?

If not even a robot, perhaps something semi-automatic.

*) Certainly not meant offending.
**) Im almost certain though you did already do that.

EDIT: Have attached the mentioned paper. As I was suspecting. It even deals with LASER Peening. However, maybe it proves interesting nonetheless.
Attachment: 4A-03.pdf (570k)
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-28-2012 16:51
As daft as this sounds, some years ago I was tasked with just such a project!
Len, AMI Orbital welding company should be able to help you, I can't add too many details but it is possible and they supplied the equipment. Please feel free to PM me if you need further info.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-28-2012 22:29
Welding a 20 inches (500 millimeters) diameter pipe from the inside? It's amazing what robots can do!
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-30-2012 22:17
Len

Honey Bee Robotics, right there in Manhattan has the "WISOR". (Welding inspection and steam operations robot. Con Edison uses it.  Bob Waite did the some of the Welding Procedure Qualification work-ups for Honey Bee..

Joe Kane
- By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-28-2012 14:33 Edited 10-01-2012 11:05
:confused:
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heard of what ever that can weld pipe from the inside?