Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / How to TIG Weld 6" Pipe in the 5G Position
- - By Weld.com Date 06-11-2012 19:52 Edited 07-31-2012 21:28
http://www.weld.com/index.php/tig-time-episode-20-tig-welding-6q-steel-pipe-in-the-5g-position.html

TIG Time is on location at Mr. TIG's Alma mater, Cowley College, in Arkansas City, KS. We met up with Bob Moffatt, Welding Instructor and Department Chair for Career and Technical Education to see how they have been teaching the students about TIG welding for the pipeline industry.

In this episode you will learn tactics like "Walking the Cup" and how to feed your wire through the inside of the pipe to get X-Ray quality fusion.

The lesson starts out with some welding tips and explaining why many of these tactics are used. Soon after Bob gets to showing you how to weld 6" steel pipe in the 5G position using a TIG root and fill pass and then finishing it with a MIG cap.

For more Information on TIG welding, check out Mr. TIG's channel on Weld.com:
http://www.weld.com/index.php/mr-tig
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-25-2012 11:30
Where are the videos located? I didn't see anything in either link that was posted.

Since this is your first post, I'm leaving it up for now..but...If this is just spam advertising, this thread will get the axe.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-25-2012 14:46
I found it on both links posted. Very well made videos with exceptional clarity on full screen.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-25-2012 14:58
Thanks Superflux....I have to be honest, I didn't have time to look very closely at those links, I had tables of material ready and waiting to have the welds inspected.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-13-2012 22:29
Great video! Thanks for posting, like Superflux said, great clarity while welding.
Parent - - By MadcapMagician Date 10-16-2012 21:22
feeding the filler rod into the weld from inside the pipe?? how is this any better than the lay wire technique?  I only ask because that is the method I was taught. I am not a huge TiG welder, but would like to be able to qualify on 6g pipe with Tig.  =)
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-17-2012 00:43
Hello MadcapMagician, I believe this technique will aid in making welds with limited access in both the visual sense and physical sense. If you can't get your head in to see what is going on on the backside of a pipe or if the pipe is particularly close to a wall, floor, or other obstruction then completing the root properly can be an extreme challenge. The fill passes are generally a little bit easier to deal with (ie. mirror or other choices). I am sure there are others who could be much more specific or present a different line of reasoning. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By F-17 (**) Date 10-17-2012 16:51
Thru feeding overcomes gravity on the dead bottom and eliminates the suckback.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 10-23-2012 00:13
Feeding seems to give me better control of how much reinforcement I put in on the root. I can see through the bevel and add as much or little as I need. As a plus, it gives you practice for when you have to do exotics where walking over the wire doesn't work....like inconel, monel, duplex, etc.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / How to TIG Weld 6" Pipe in the 5G Position