Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Non-Union Not Wanted
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-02-2012 12:14
Haha!! Saw this on the news this morning and did a quick search and found this,

"12:32 a.m. Report: Alabama non-union repair crews turned away

A Huntsville, Ala. television station is reporting non-union repair crews from Huntsville Utilities, Decatur Utilities and Trinity Electric were turned away from performing any recovery efforts or emergency repairs in Seaside Heights and other New Jersey locations because they are non-union workers.

WAFF-TV Channel 48 in Huntsville reported Thursday night the crews were rerouted to Long Island because “they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't do any work there since they're not union employees,” according to Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers." (APP.com http://www.app.com/viewart/20121102/NJNEWS/311010021/Report-Alabama-non-union-repair-crews-turned-away?odyssey=nav|head )

Guess that answered my question about donating money to help, good luck NJ, think I'll go buy a new printer with my now saved donation money since it was non-union anyhow you probably wouldn't want it. We're just a bunch of dumb hicks down here anyhow peeing in outhouses, living by candles and lanterns so we don't know anytin about dat dar olectrik stuf.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-03-2012 00:01
Reminds me of when a co. from down south came to work at the local diesel terminal that supplied fuel for mass transit (bus)!! All thru the bickering union/non the people that needed the transit didn't care they  were standing out in the  early morning freeze going " WHERES' MY F##kin' BUS"!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: Sometimes people are just plain STUPID:yell::yell::yell::yell:
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-03-2012 02:16
Racketeering....some people thing they can't live without it.  Down here we can fend for ourselves if we have to....groceries, fuel, or housing.  When it all goes to crap just remember, we love our guns too.:grin:
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 11-03-2012 05:09
Thats right Tommy a country boy can sruvive
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-03-2012 04:45
Perhaps they should have asked what the customers [residents] thought...
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-03-2012 08:08
That's what I was thinking Dave, if they are qualified then what's it matter union or not they're there to help get your power on so people don't die. All comes back to common sense, a quality that seems to be dying off in today's world.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-04-2012 03:20
"Common Sense" is only "common" to those who HAVE it.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-04-2012 04:32
Common sense is not that common anymore.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-05-2012 12:44
Where I work "common sense" has been replaced by a policy or procedure. We are told there is no place for "common sense". So far I am still resisting the cool aid. I preach common sense to my kids all the time. Maybe we can keep the tradition alive.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-05-2012 20:46
I teach my kids about it all the time! They don't seem to get that much any where else!
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 11-05-2012 23:31
My daughter is 18 and out of school, she was A honor role most of high school, I mention Paul Revere to the wife or something (dont remember) but the daughter ask who is Paul Revere? I liked to have fell out. I was told they dont need to know that old stuff anymore.HAHAHA
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-06-2012 02:22 Edited 11-06-2012 02:24
That sure is a shame that real American History is being ignored...

One day, there will be a need for it, and they will not know where to find it except for going online and having it explained too you by someone who may or may not have been taught about the topic in school, so the only reference this person will be what ever they have just finished reading as opposed to really learning about for example: Paul Revere, and I mean the real Paul Revere and not the other silversmith who also existed back in those days as well.

What goes around - Comes around!:eek::wink::cool:

Btw, I hope your Daughter gets to really learn about the Paul Revere who played an important part in the beginning of
American History.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 11-06-2012 03:09
She did, after the hard time I gave her she did some reserch.:lol:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-06-2012 10:35
I ask my kids all the time about school or mention something from history. Lately they have been telling me about books they have read and I hit them with other book names and they say no, we have not read that. Got my oldest reading Animal Farm with my other two kids to follow when the oldest is finished. I have to commend my son though. He was in class and the teacher was doing some political type of thing if they were president and all of the kids(12-13) were going to give away money to everybody, you don't have to work, you don't pay taxes and my son countered them with the if you don't work and don't pay taxes where is the money going to come from and he laid out a really well thought of plan, logical and full of sense! It feels good to see things you've been preaching for years are actually getting thru!! I think my kids might be alright in the future!

I hear about what kids are learning at school and I worry sometimes. Our government can force them to teach what they want them to learn. My kids have to do a new program and if they(the school) wants to keep the $2 million dollars(County) they have to participate and do these things. Sounds a little hinky to me so I need to turn up the studies here an home and keep up with the questions about what's going on at school.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-06-2012 17:07
Shawn, I am just curious about yoour feelings on the Union / non-Union issue. You just made statements concerning history and how things came to be the way they are and I was wondering if you were aware of working contitions and wages before organized labor came about.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-06-2012 21:30
Really have no problem with the Union. By union made shirts and have several union made vehicles....although as a former mechanic who got arse raped by the manufacturers while the employees got the goodies I do have a bit of a thorn there but with the manufacturer not actually the folks doing the job, they are doing what anybody would do, "your gonna pay me $20/hour to push a broom with full bennies?? OK!!".

Yep, know lots about history and the work before Unions, heck my grandpa used to drive truck back in the 20's and I would here stories about how hard it was, guess that's why he retired from driving truck and ran gin instead!! Unions did a lot for safety, wages, benefits and set employers straight many moons ago. Like I said, no problem with the Union, if I had a project big enough I'd gladly hire some union hands.

Guess my point above with the New Jersey thing is not against the Union but the moron who turned away a qualified helping hand. The boys from Alabama know a thing or two about disasters, the recent tornado's that rolled thru there a year or two ago and they go up to help and get turned away like they're just some weekend warriors that decided they'd outfit a truck to look like electrical workers. That's what I had issue with, not the Union folks. We have a problem down here I sure as heck won't complain about a guy being Union from New Jersey if he's gonna fix the power lines in my area, I'll make him some hot coffee or lunch, guys away from home working his behind off, don't matter if he's union or not, just a qualified linesman is all I need to know.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-06-2012 21:46
Sean, I really was just asking. I did not believe you were taking a hard line. But as far as the Jack Asses that turned away help, they need there butt's turned away as well.

The goal is to get the power back on but unfortunately some see it as an opportunity to make some big bucks and when there is potential for that all kinds of critters come out of the wood work.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-06-2012 22:07
I got ya, no problem. Yeah, get the power on and how petty can one be to turn away assistance right!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Non-Union Not Wanted