Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WTF... Slag Globs?
- - By TimGary (****) Date 11-08-2012 12:31
We use a lot of carbon steel square tubing in our products.
Earlier this week, there was a noticible "rattling" coming from inside the tube while a product was being rotated in a positioner.
After shaking and listening to locate the source, the weld supervisor decided that one one the welders probably left his pliers in the tube before it was welded shut and had the offending tube cut open to remove the rattler, which turned out to be a large glob of previuosly melted steel that looks like a big slag ball. (see pics)
We then checked the rest of the tubes and found several more that were slightly stuck to the inside.
Has anyone ever had this problem before and can anyone tell me what caused it?
We consulted with the supplier first, and all they have said so far is "Oops, sorry."

Thanks,
Tim
Attachment: slag.JPG (126k)
Attachment: slags.JPG (81k)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2012 12:43
I've had backing bars that has fallen down inside the tubing before, but nothing like what you have pictured.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 11-08-2012 12:45
Hey Tim, sorry for the not so serious reply. But the foreign countries have found a way to dispose of their hazardous waste. LOL i hope-Ted
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 11-08-2012 13:49
:smile:

Maybe I should collect and try to sell them as meteorites...
Anybody want to buy one?

Tim
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-08-2012 15:22
Dangit...now look what you've done...I found some, not the same extreme as you did though...this is Canadian made tubing
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-08-2012 17:17
Material receiving or pre-fitup inspection may have eliminated cutting off the end cap.
Parent - - By pipetommy (*) Date 11-08-2012 17:26
The slag is from the seam weld at the mill.  Supplier has nothing to do with it, they just move it.  They are a broker.  Hey, I'll buy one!  lol

Tom
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-09-2012 03:05
You're absolutely correct PipeTommy!
I'm referring to the last pic. that is...:wink:

The other ones look like they're Iron Man's Sh!t for crying out loud!!!
Has he come to visit your shop more than once Tim???:lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-09-2012 04:22
Looks like You need to pull a chimney cleaner through every tube...:sad::sad:
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-09-2012 10:38
That obviously did not come from the flashing as it was seamed up.
Those pictures look to be refuse from a continuous casting process. I doubt very seriously it was part of the tube itself. Suggest a bit of research into the firm your source as it's more likely an employee chunking them into the finished product. That is only possible if the mill is also producing the tube.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WTF... Slag Globs?