Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / 4130 f Number
- - By zinnan (*) Date 11-26-2012 22:55
Does this dang rod have an F number? Our qualification system currently uses the same test for our f4 rods to qualify the 4130. All essential variables stay the same, just the electrode changes and I have looked every where I know to find an f number for this electrode to no avail. Anybody help?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-27-2012 01:25
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-27-2012 02:06 Edited 11-27-2012 02:13
Great link Lawrence, thanks.

OOPPSS.  After I went to it the first time it keeps coming up with a server error. 

Oh well.  I presume the OP doesn't have B2.1?  I'll have to check some of my other references tomorrow, don't have any of them here at the house tonight.  Left them all at the job site office.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-28-2012 03:00 Edited 11-28-2012 03:05
4130 is not a standard AWS filler metal, thus there is no AWS filler metal specification or classification for that filler metal. No AWS/ASME specification or classification means there is no F-number for it.

There are AWS/ASME filler metal classifications that can be used to weld AISI 4130 steels. There are ASTM/ASME base metal specifications that have similar chemistry as the AISI 4130. However, AISI steels do not have specified mechanical properties because the MP are dependent on the state of heat treatment as well as the chemistry. Since AISI steels do not have published mechanical properties, they are never listed in ASME or AWS welding codes.

Al
Parent - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 11-28-2012 05:28 Edited 11-30-2012 04:26
Agree with Al:cool:.

Electrodes and welding rods not covered by ASME SFA-5.XX(AWS A5.XX) specifications are not assigned by QW-432 with F-Number.

QW-431:
F-Number grouping of electrodes and welding rods in table QW-432 is based essentially on their usability characteristics, which fundamentally determine the ability of welders to make satisfactory welds with a given filler metal. This grouping is made to reduce the number of welding procedure and performance qualifications, where this can logically be done.

So, if we do not care about the number of welding procedure and performance qualifications, we won't need the F-Number for an unassigned electrode or welding rod.

This reminds me of the SA213-T23 not assigned with P-No by QW-422. Code Case 2199-6 requires "Separate weld procedure qualification shall be required for this material."

Qualify the welder or procedure separately with that rod then we meet and exceed the Code requirement.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / 4130 f Number