Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Permanent Mag Chuck as grinding aid
- - By devo (***) Date 12-12-2012 17:43
I was up at Small Tools in Euclid, OH picking up a drill press a few weeks ago, and I spied a little 5" x 10" B&S permanent magnetic chuck for $100.  I get tired of holding small pieces of flat bar and plate for grinding the edges, and putting it in the vice isn't always ideal.  This little thing is terrific.  It doesn't work for everything, but I need to grind all four edges and two corners on 324 pieces of 1/4" x 6" x 6" flat bar for a job this week, and my wrists are already thanking me.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-13-2012 00:03
post a picture of it please.
Parent - By devo (***) Date 12-13-2012 03:29
This is identical to the one I have, just a bit bigger
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-13-2012 06:17
If You will be welding, machining or need to clean the parts after removal from the magnet, demagnetizing is a good idea, as the parts will be magnatized to some degree.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-13-2012 16:37
ahhh  I remember those things, yes super handy.  Used them on surface grinders, never thought about putting one on the work table...good idea.  I would put a cloth over it when not in use, I hate trying to clean those things off.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 12-13-2012 18:25
Never really thought about the need to demagnetize.  I made up a couple of test pieces for the current job, and no problem with arc blow or residual magnetism.  The plates are only spending about thirty seconds on the chuck.  I wonder how long it would take to magnetize a part enough to cause arc blow?  I'll have to run an experiment....
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-14-2012 03:55
I doubt time has much to do with it. The residual magnetism might not be strong enough to cause problems in Your aplication.

In stamping dies, it can cause slugs to hang in the tool and jam or end up in places that cause problems.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-21-2012 19:55
That looks like a handy little tool right there!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-21-2012 21:22
Yea they are pretty strong Shawn...definitely strong enough to hold a piece while you grind it.  The electric ones are really stout.  Heck if I start getting enough shop work I might have to get one myself.
Parent - By devo (***) Date 01-15-2013 18:10
Update:
  Well this experiment paid off well.  The pic is of 108 caps for wooden posts, made of .25" CorTen steel.  Lots of grinding on these as the customer wanted a #1 finish on the corners i.e. ground smooth until no trace of weld remains.  There are supposed to be a few hundred more of these coming, so this mag chuck is going to be used more and more.  If anyone is thinking about buying a used one keep in mind the lever that moves the magnet can get real sticky.  Of the three I tried out at the used tool dealer, only one was easy to actuate.  I ended up dumping some Starrett M1 lube inside of it, and it moves pretty good now.
  In actual usage, I never even actuated the lever, I just left it on and set and removed each plate as needed.  After a few parts, I figured out where to set the plate to find the sweet spot between ample holding power and ease of removal, but for 6" x 6" pieces of .25" material, it was a breeze.  I will never ever go back to the bench vise for this type of work, its that good.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Permanent Mag Chuck as grinding aid