Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 WPS qualification
- - By gastonM (**) Date 01-07-2013 14:10
If I make a test coupon of 25mm, in wich, every actual pass is 10% greater in current than previous pass. Starting from 160amp to 300 amp. Can i write a WPS with thickness 3mm to unlimited and a current from 160 to 300 amp? or i must to do one coupon for every range of current?

thanks in advance.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-09-2013 18:41
Amperage is an esential variable.  Check your procedure essential variables in chapter 4 on the process used for the percentage you can go above and below the actual min and max current used in qualifying your procedure.  So lets say your percentage is +-10% so you minimum would be 144 amps.  If you can weld 3mm thick steel at 144 amps using some process then your WPS is still good with the one supporting PQR.  If you need to go below that then you need to qualify another PQR using a different thickness to get you amps down in the range you need to support your WPS.  You can have multiple PQR's supporting one WPS.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-14-2013 14:42
Hello Gaston;

You didn't specify which D1 you are using and you didn't specify which welding process you are using. That can complicate the matter of providing you with a reasonable response, especially if you are trying to qualify a WPS that includes notch toughness testing.

In general, a welder is going to vary both voltage as well as welding amperage during the welding of a test coupon. To add to the "problem", travel speed is often varied unless the welding process is mechanized or automatic. What you propose is acceptable provided the welds deposited are acceptable. Your PQR would list the range of the parameters used, i.e., voltage, amperage, and travel speed.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 01-16-2013 18:42
Excuseme. I extend data

I use D1.1. Process GMAW (not mechanised) position 1G. CVN 34J +4ºC. Voltage 25-29. for all ranges  (highest voltage for highest current) and travel speed 34-56 cm/min (highest speed for highest current). highest heat input at the top, including Back-weld, (from which to extract CVN specimen, table 4.14). I think that is reasonable. In this way, I can use only one WPS with a chart that specifies, amperage, voltage and travel-speed for each range of tickness. All of this qualified by only one coupon.

Regards - Gastón
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-16-2013 20:45
If you were qualifying a standard WPS I would tend to agree with you, but when you are qualifying a WPS with notch toughness, the heat input should be more closely controlled and consistent from bead to bead, layer to layer. I personally believe you are missing the objective of qualifying the WPS with notch toughness in mind. In your case every layer has a different heat input, a different maximum interpass temperature, etc. What will be your calculated heat input for the welded assembly? What is the voltage used for the assembly? What is the amperage for the assembly? Are you going to use a running average? Are you going to use a weighted average? Are you going to use the median values?

The test results will be dependent on where the CVN samples are extracted. The values will not be representative of the aggregate.

While there will always be some fluctuation when welding the test assembly, the variation would be minimal. In your case, the variation is very large and not representative of what can be expected in production.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-17-2013 11:15
Al,

When you say "running average" and weighted average" what exactly do you mean?
Something to the effect of changing the machine settings to where he originally ran the test piece going up and down for each pass would be weighted? Versus just taking the average of the entire assembly would be running?

Thanks
Parent - By gastonM (**) Date 01-17-2013 13:53
"Table 4.6 item 9 says an increase in heat input" if i extract CVN specimen from where i expect the worst structure to resist impact loads, i suppose, that intermediate layers, with lower heat imput, will behave better. In production,Always above 16mm, if i do not exceed this heat imput, the steel product will be ok. I do not believe in average values ​​but in the worst effect of heat input
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2013 15:12 Edited 01-17-2013 15:45
There are a number of issues that must be addressed when qualifying a WPS that meets toughness requirements. AWS D1.1-2010, Table 4.6 lists the supplementary essential variables (in addition to the essential variables listed in Table 4.5). Right off the bat there is thickness limitations when notch toughness is a concern that is more restrictive than a "regular" WPS. For instance; Table 4.6, item 2 limits the minimum thickness to T or 5/8 inch, whichever is less. There goes the one test or unlimited thickness idea. 

My question regarding how the heat input will be calculation is simple. If the welding parameters are intentionally increased from one bead to the next, how is the heat input for the completed assembly going to be calculated? Is the heat input based on the average voltage and current used once the plate is welded? Is the heat input based on the average heat input calculated for each weld bead? Is the travel speed held constant or is it also a variable? Is the "average" representative of the heat input of the location where the CVN specimens are removed from the plate? My response would be that is does not when the root is intentionally deposited at low heat input and where the final weld beads are at high heat input (by design). In this case, there will be no correlation between heat input and the absorbed energy because the heat input of every weld bead, hence every layer will be different depending on which thickness the specimens are taken from. The values of absorbed energy would only represent the toughness of that specific location.

There will be some spread measured for the values of voltage, amperage, and travel speed when the welded assembly is welded manually. However, the spread is assumed to be within a relatively tight window because the welder should not be changing the parameters while welding the assembly. If the welder changes the welding parameters, the heat input is a variable that isn't controlled and nothing is "proven" by testing one specific location in the welded assembly.

The usual goal is to weld the assembly using the highest heat input anticipated in production to verify the welded assembly meets the toughness requirements of the project. There is no standard toughness requirement in AWS. The Engineer must specify what absorbed energy and what test temperature is required for that specific project. The design parameters can, and usually do, from one job to the next. If the test fails, the heat input or other variable is modified to produce the required values.

Let's consider Forest Gump making his trek across the USA. He starts out at a walk when he leaves the east coast and slowly increases his speed to the point he is running at the speed of light by the time he reaches the opposite shore. If his speed is clocked in Rhode Island, he is walking at a leisurely pace. By the time he is at the New York / Ohio border he is running at 1000 miles an hour, by the time he reaches Omaha he is going at 5/8 the speed of light and finally he is clocked doing the speed of light in San Diego just as he hits the water line. Poof, he disappears in a cloud of steam. Do we assume he is in a different dimension? That’s a different question for another time. Now you need to figure out if his running shoes were robust enough to withstand the rigors of high speed running. Where do you measure his speed? It varies from one location to the next. When and where did they fail? You only have one opportunity to check his feet to see if his shoes are still intact. You check him when he reaches Memphis. They are still on his feet. Good results. However, just because the shoes were intact when he passed through Memphis, does that mean they were still intact when he got to Kansas City, Denver, or San Diego? That is essential what the poster is trying to do. He is varying the heat input, continually increasing it, until at some point it may no longer meet the toughness requirement, but where did the heat input reach the point where toughness dropped below the acceptable value? Gaston is only testing his sample at one location. The code tells you where that location must be; in this case the shoes are check when Forest reaches .........  

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 01-17-2013 16:36
Then, the temper bead technique is a big lie ?

I think, that de location of CVN specimen have a verygood reason.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2013 16:43
If you have a plan and your customer buys into it, go for it.

Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. Married women; they have two, one they send to work.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2013 17:17
HEY!!  I resemble that remark!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 01-17-2013 17:19
what do you advises your clients? a full time inspector by welder to control closely the welding parameters?. This is a very good job. Very profitable indeed. Congratulations.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2013 18:49
You asked for an opinion. You got one. It cost you nothing. It is worth exactly what you paid for it. Do with it as you please. Ignore the advice if it doesn't agree with your preconceived notion of how the procedure should be qualified.

By the way, yes, I do record the parameters used by the welder for each and every weld bead as the test plate is welded. And you are correct, it is a great job.

As a matter of fact, I reject many PQRs that fail to record the welding parameters used when welding the test coupon for work that entails AWS D1.1 and D1.5.

If the WPS is qualified properly there is no need to have an inspector bird dogging the welder. However, proper supervision is a responsibility the contractor must bear. A burdensome responsibility, but that is what being in business is all about.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-17-2013 20:20
Al,
thanks for that explanation, that was good.
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 01-17-2013 20:30
Make no mistake, I appreciate your time and knowledge, which I disagree is the way that you express yourself, I find it very arrogant. Finally we come to what I was pointing. 100% agree that a PQR must record all parameters of all beads, what I wanted was to find an efficient way to control, at a low cost, 50 welders,at the same time, and furthermore, they are welding plates of different thicknesses each minute. You say that what I propose is not correct, you may be right, but at least I hoped, that you explained it, with an similar experience but not with the example of Forest or married women. If I could speak better English, i would have paved the way

Mis mayores resptos.

Saludos Cordiales.

Gastón.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2013 21:38
Bro Al is quite capable of coming to his own defense, BUT, I sure find it curious how people come here for information and then slap the hand that feeds them.

I read back through this entire thread and saw no hint of 'arrogant' responses, and especially from Al.  He kept responding with additional information to try and explain his position.  He did so with clarity and applicable references as to 'why' and 'how'.

Doing a PQR is quite different from doing TPI work or welder certifications.  You say 50 welders at one time, NOT FOR PQR's surely.  WHY?  Even to attempt to certify 50 welders at one time would not be a responsible task for ONE CWI.  You can't possibly monitor the ongoing activities properly.  BUT, most definitely not on PQR's.  You will make no progress since they will constantly be waiting for you while you are making your rounds to everyone else.  And how do you record volts/amps, WFS, TS, etc when you are somewhere else?  You have way to many things going on at once with your description of what you want to do. 

If you need 50 people certified/qualified to the same PQR, you would first qualify the pqr. THEN you test the others to the WPS written off the approved PQR.  At that point you have more flexibility and can monitor more people at one time.  BUT 50?  Not by yourself.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 01-18-2013 10:39
All welders are qualified with his corresponding test. The point is: If you can write a qualified WPS for all Thicknesses, you no need to inspect welder, continuosly, about he is using the correct WPS. Sometimes, when i have a problem, and i wish to solve it, and i am not sure about the idea. I look for advise of the experienced people, because i have no problem to help people (what is within my reach). Al is right, there is a tend to wish that the idea will be correct (we are human). but. from there, to disregard the time and goodwill of a colleague, there is a big difference.

Regards.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-18-2013 14:42
Gaston

If you have the desire to create a production environment with "one" WPS to cover 50 welders all working on different things thick and thin; and you don't want to supervise them;

How is that different from having 50 welders with ZERO procedures at all, and nobody supervising them?

Just asking.
Parent - By gastonM (**) Date 01-18-2013 19:23
Only for the same project and for the same steel. When i have many papers over the desk, relentlessly, i make mistakes, I think the same thing happens welders. I wish make a document with a fix range of travel speed (D1.1 admit +-25% of variation from PQR)  and a chart with Amp and volts values (in consecutive ranges allowed by the code) . This chart qualified by one or multiples coupons with fixed speed and ranges of Amp and volts just like i commented at the begin of te topic (if i would have money, i would do both and compare results). This gives me more peace of mind, due the inspection resources are limited.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2013 21:57 Edited 01-18-2013 12:56
They are called jokes here in the US. An attempt to lighten the mood. Sorry if you found no humor in them. Everyone's sense of humor is a little different. What is considered funny in one country isn't so funny in another.

The Forest Gump example was an analogy, an exaggeration, to make a point.

Since my way with words offended you, I will not make the mistake a second time.

I looked at the photos of some of the projects your employer has been involved with. Very nice.

Contractors/fabricators have many different ideas of what the purpose of a WPS is. They develop their WPSs to address the problems encountered in their respective shops. One shop may be welding on material types and thicknesses that are limited. Other shops are welding a variety of base metals and many different thicknesses. A company that has a large production run of one type of base metal and one widget will have a WPS that is specific to that one widget or just one particular weld. Other companies use a very general WPS that can be used for a range of material thicknesses.

In a similar manner, different codes have different requirements regarding how the WPS is to be qualified and documented. They may limit the thickness range as does ASME when qualifying GMAW using short circuiting transfer. The code may make the thickness range qualified more restrictive when notch toughness is required. Our job, whether it is as an engineer, inspector, or line supervisors is to ensure the welds made by the welders are sound and meet the requirements of the applicable code. The one working document we use to provide information to the welder is the WPS. It must be detailed sufficiently to provide them with the level of detail needed to make a code compliant weld.

For general structural fabrication of most structural steel composed of low carbon and high strength low alloy steels a general WPS with generous ranges for voltage, amperage, wire feed speed, travel speed, etc. is sufficient. However, when toughness is an additional requirement it is usually specified because the operating/service conditions involve impact loads and/or low temperature applications. Since different steels behave differently at low temperatures or because different rolling practices may be involved the codes are usually more restrictive on the thickness ranges qualified and the welding parameters used. Once again, the contractor depends on the welding engineer and the inspector knowing when to be generous with the ranges and when to be more restrictive with the ranges of welding parameters. We in turn, depend on the welding standards and codes to provide a certain level of direction. We cannot be all knowing, but the welding standards and codes cannot anticipate every conceivable situation. Engineering judgment and experience comes into play for the unusual situations we encounter. We are human, mistakes will be made. Once in a while a major tragedy will shake us from our complacency and hopefully we learn from our mistakes.

By the way, your English is fine. Much better than my Spanish.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By gastonM (**) Date 01-18-2013 19:38
Al, as a corollary:

You as engenier acting for owner and i as contractor.

Is the following affirmation correct?

You would never approve a WPS like this.

Pd: I would never do this for steel other than carbon or HSLA.

Thanks for your patience
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2013 20:06
I would reject it if the WPS is required to qualified with CVN.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 WPS qualification