Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hello
- - By unclematt (***) Date 01-26-2013 07:58
Hello all;
I am not the most talkative in the group. I would rather sit back in the crowd and listen to and learn all the knowledge and expertise you could impart. I have about twenty years of this mess under my hat though a lot slips out, unaware, until I am asked by some high-er up why this goes there or why do we preheat this material to such a precise temp before continuing? Maybe not as much gets out because I usually have the number stored somewhere for just this sort of emergency. I have gotten to read more here lately due to a few health problems that have had me down. The first was a crushed spinal nerve. I worked with it for about eight years. I was finally able to find a job where I enjoyed working and the people were good to be around so I decided to have it fixed. They were to remove the crushed disc and fuse the joint at C5-C6. Took about an hour on the table with the doc saying "You should be feeling a lot better real soon". That was on July 25th of last year. The pain only got worse so he decided that he would go through the back of my neck where he found bone spurs and space restrictions that weren't found before.He made an inch and a half vertical incision and had to cut through four inches of muscle to get to my spine. Well, today is my first day home with it and am told I will have to give it at least two months to see how this one is gonna turn out.I am hopeful to return to the industry that I; and dare say, you love too. It is not usual for me to be on here at 1:45 am but can't sleep with the pain. Not meant a a sob story. Just writing a few things down. I really do enjoy reading all your posts. I do owe some of y'all some type of royalty or residuals from using what I have learned. Maybe if I ever ran across one or two of you, I could supply a drink of choice or a venison back strap sandwich. I do sincerely hope all is well with each and everyone of you.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-26-2013 08:55
Hi Matt,
I too have been ill these past couple of weeks and found myself on this site at daft times of the morning! I have learnt so much! I can fully understand where you are coming from!
Sorry to hear that your recovery is gunna take longer than you anticipated but don't try and rush what is not meant to be! I hope I manage to run across you one day, I could really do with some back strap! We don't tend to get this delicacy in the UK and I have developed quite a taste!
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-26-2013 10:57 Edited 01-26-2013 16:53
Thanks for the kind words. If I ever run across you or anyone in here and I have some, I'd be more than willing to share.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-26-2013 18:25
Dang Matt, sorry to hear that you have not been well. Prayers and thoughts coming your way from Virginia....hoping you will feel better soon.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2013 21:07
I got a friend that is still working on getting himself right again after several crushed vertebrae and some other injuries.  I can relate to what your going thru watching him over the last year.  SHHHHHHH on the royalty thing for garnered knowledge!! :grin:  I could not possibly afford my share on here!

I hope the healing goes quickly for you and you get the results you need.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-27-2013 03:41
Thanks jwright650 and Tommy for the kind words and wishes. Hope to be in the saddle again soon.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By Tex (**) Date 01-27-2013 07:16
Matt, been there, done that. October 28, 2009 I fell at work and broke my back. I was down a little over 2 1/2 years. I spent alot of times on a few different boards. I can honestly say that talking to guys in  the industry helped. Do exactly what the doc says, but try to stay off of the meds. They are a ***** to get off of. Trust me. There will come a point where you ask yourself if you really hurt or if it is the meds telling you that you hurt. Make damn sure that you have a good doc and you trust his  word. Very Very important.

I hope all works out to the best for you. If you need an ear let me know, pardner.

Tex
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-28-2013 05:45
Thanks Tex and Dave.  Thanks for the offer Tex.

Hope y'all have a good one;
Matt
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-28-2013 04:17
Good luck with Your recovery. I am on here late too from time to time.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hello