Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Changes without re-qualification
- - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-01-2013 00:47
I am working as a resident inspector on a project, and found several WPS/PQR that are out of criteria to D1.1 table 4.5 for essential variables.  The WPS (GTAW) list gas flow rate at 42 cfm, (20 l/min).  The PQR supporting it lists gas flow rate at 25 cfm, (12 l/min).  Per D1.1 table 4.5, +50/-20%, it requires re-qualification.  This WPS and PQR are 5 years old, and the manufacturer wants to simply change the WPS to meet the PQR.  I have rejected this idea and manufacturer states it is an error on the WPS.  Again 5 years old documentation with no other evidence.  My contention is re-qualify....
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 02:20
All other things being equal, why would you insist they spend the money to requalify when you could just write a new WPS and make the gas flow read from 20-30 cfm?  5 years old is not a big deal if they are still doing the same work, same materials, etc.  They paid for it for that application, just change the WPS.  It's a lot cheaper and meets the requirements.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-01-2013 02:47
It was qualified outside the limits of the code.  The test result could very likely be different if tested to what the actual WPS says.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 03:30
When you say 'the PQR that supports the WPS', that says to me that you are referring to a WPS that was written for production purposes off of the tested and approved PQR.  That means that it can be thrown away and write a new one that is within the variables of the approved PQR which would only require a change in gas flow requirements.  Since the PQR was tested with gas flow at 25 and you have a range of +50% to -20% you would be within the variables to write the gas flow at 20-30 cfm. 

Now, maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant and you are referencing a WPS that was written for the purpose of giving the welder direction for the sample.  So, when they recorded the actual flow for the PQR it was different.  Off hand I'm not sure that would be an issue.  Once the PQR sample has been tested and approved it becomes your baseline if all readings were monitored and recorded properly.  Then you write your production WPS's off of it.  You can issue several with various values as long as they are within the boundaries of the essential variables. 

I also could be miscommunicating what I am trying to say.  So, just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-01-2013 04:24
What you say makes perfect sense, BUT, for 5 years the welding has supposedly been conducted following the WPS, with "supposedly" those variables, per D1.1 production welds must follow the WPS.  The PQR which was tested was tested to different variables.  Don't you think testing to the past 5 years of welding would be a prudent step to take or are codes just something that is written and not followed, and manufacturers simply change numbers and magically meet the code??
Parent - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-01-2013 02:49
Oh by the way, they pay for nothing, my client pays for everything and are over charged.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 02:21
OOOHHH,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-01-2013 03:43
Sir may I know why you rejected my 5yrs old documents?:cry:

The use of earlier edition is allowed in our contract spec.:eek: Is it a violation to revise my WPS to meet the specific values in PQR?:confused:

Before you say rejected, I need to receive your non-conformance report:roll:. Let me know at which clauses of the spec or codes I did not comply:sad:.

Hoping for your kind consideration.

:cool::yell::lol:
     ~Joey~
Parent - - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-01-2013 04:25
Please see my response to Mr. Welderbrent
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-01-2013 06:39
wgaryr,
I think you may be getting a bit too involved here.
It is absolutely none of your business what a company has been doing with their WPS/PQRs for the last 5 years.
You are the resident inspector on a project and they have submitted the WPS/PQRs to you for review - review them and then comment on them - accept them or reject them.
The only thing that is non compliant is the WPS - as Brent said just write a new WPS and get on with it.
If they write a new WPS with 20 - 30 cfm that is fine, you just have to ensure they are following that requirement  - if you then catch the welders using 42 cfm, then it is time to start jumping up and down
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-01-2013 08:39
Why jump up and down then, they are using that now, with no evidence (PQR), that, that range was ever qualified.  A contractural requirement by the way..  It seems to me that the code and contract requirements, can be ignored for some things I guess, but not others.  Really confusing.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-01-2013 11:57
wgaryr,
Now you are confusing me.
Who are you working for as the Resident Inspector - the client or the contractor ?
If you are the clients inspector you or your companies Welding Engineer should have reviewed and approved the WPS/PQR before the contractor struck an arc on your project.
Based on what you have stated the WPS should have been rejected as it did not comply with the code allowed range based on the PQR.
The contractor writes another WPS that is in compliance with the PQR and then they are allowed to start welding.
Your job is then to ensure they are welding in accordance with the approved WPS.

"Why jump up and down then, they are using that now, with no evidence (PQR), that, that range was ever qualified.  A contractural requirement by the way..  It seems to me that the code and contract requirements, can be ignored for some things I guess, but not others.  Really confusing."

Why are you allowing them to continue welding if they do not have an approved WPS - either approved by you or your companies Welding Engineer ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 14:23
Same question I was coming to Shane, who does he work for?  To me, when he calls himself a 'resident inspector' I took it to mean he worked for the contractor/fabricator.  But at the moment I'm not sure. 

And to me, either way, for the ongoing work, all they need do is write a WPS lining up with the essential variables from the PQR.  Then, with an NCR on the work already started for his project, if it has already started, then let the engineer decide if he will accept work previously completed, maybe with some additional spot tests of some kind.

He keeps referring to work done for the past 5 years.  Unless that work was on his project, SO WHAT!  It has no bearing on where he is at to my thinking.  All water under the bridge and only applicable to the customers whose jobs they worked on.  If they have been bought off, just pray that a little more gas flow didn't do anything besides give them better shielding and/or maybe wasted some gas and cost them some money.  As long as the PQR fits his current jobs specs and requirements then just write a proper WPS for it and get rolling accordingly. 

Yes, the codes are to be followed Wgaryr.  They are there for a reason.  The questions really are, 1) who do you represent; 2) at what stage is the job in; and 3) do you understand your job specifications? 

You can't technically go back and qualify a procedure for work already completed.  If the engineer says that that is how he will accept it then you can go there.  But that is not your call no matter whose inspector you are.  Your immediate concern is to get the job requirements in compliance from right now.  Testing a new PQR is not the way to accomplish that, just write a new WPS off of the existing PQR. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-01-2013 15:09
WelderBrent,
Resident Inspector.
What I've found concerning postings for hiring for this job title is contracting companies that don't want to pay perdiem for TPI and are seeking locals.
As opposed to an "in house" or direct hire employee of the facility.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 16:04
Never heard it termed like that before.  When I do local erection inspections it is as a Special Inspector.  When I go into a shop for the customer/engineer it is as a TPI/outside/Special Inspector.  Most of my jobs are in shops for out of state customers so they don't have to pay for someone's travel, lodging, food, etc.  Still never been called a 'Resident Inspector'. 

But thanks for explaining that.  So he is probably not an in house inspector.

But, what that shop has done for the past 5 years is still not relevant to him or his current job unless they have been working on his job for that long.  Even then, just change it for everything going on forward and see what the engineer says about past work.  Seems odd that no one else caught this item for 5 years if they have been on his job that whole time. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 02-01-2013 12:40
This could be a sticky situation.

Let's not forget the big picture, which is that WPS are written to define variables in which were proven to reliably reproduce compliant welds as performed in a PQR.
Essential variables are based on functions performed during a PQR that if altered out of range may affect weld integrity.
If you're seeing that welds already made have been performed outside of the variable range of a PQR, there is reason to believe those welds may not be suitable to meet design requirements.
In this case, a new PQR should be performed within the parameter ranges actually used to verify existing weld integrity.
If the new PQR fails, then the welds made with those parameters are rejectable.
If the new PQR is acceptable, then the welds made may be acceptable and a new WPS written to match.
Ultimately, it's the EOR's responsibility to accept or reject this situation.
The Inspector's responsibility is simply to notify the EOR of conformant / non-conformant situations, which is best remembered in order to avoid liability issues.
If I were the Engineer, and the new PQR passed, before accepting the welds I would require an additional document review of all procedures and weld inspection requirements to see if this was a simple mistake or indicative of a more broad range of inattention to code/quality requirements by the Contractor.

If you're checking PQR and WPS validity before the job starts, which is how it's supposed to work, then a new PQR does not have to be performed, rather a revised WPS with the correct essential variable ranges can be issued.

Good Luck,
Tim Gary
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-01-2013 15:56 Edited 02-02-2013 03:06
If the work is being performed in accordance with AWS D1.1, the WPSs and supporting PQRs do not wear out, they do not spoil, they do not lose their flavor, and they have no expiration date.

The PQR can be used to support a new WPS to a later revision of the code or the WPS can be revised to make a correction or to meet new code requirements provided the limitations of the permissible ranges are not violated. This can be required when the F numbers of the filler metals are changed. This is happening in some cases as I type this response. The filler metal specifications for GMAW and FCAW are being revised, one is complete and being marketed as I type.

The two new filler metal specifications are A5.34 and A5.36. The A5.34 will incorporate A5.18 and A5.28. The metal cored electrodes are not included in A5.34. The metal cored electrodes are moved to A5.36 which will incorporate A5.20 and A5.29. This will necessitate the revision of WPSs for GMAW and FCAW. The contractors are not required to requalify the WPSs, it is simple a revision in most cases.

PQRs are usually cast in stone once they are qualified and properly documented. Due to the change in filler metal specifications it is permissible for the contractor to edit the PQR to list the new filler metal specification. Personally, I would strike out the old filler metal specification with a single line and write in the new filler metal specification, initial and date the PQR and continue on with my life. By the way, if metal core electrode is used, the welding process has to be changed to FCAW. The changes would be taken care of in the same manner as the listing of the filler metal specification. 

The job responsibilities of the resident CWI/Inspector are defined by the Engineer if the CWI is acting as the Verification Inspector. If the CWI is the Contractor's Inspector the responsibilities are more fully defined by the code and supplemented by the employer. With the assumption that the CWI is the Verification Inspector, he should report back to the Enginee, the individual who is responsible to resolve nonconformancies. The Engineer can take steps to have the contractor correct the situation or he can accept it as is and go on with his life. The Verification Inspector's job is to report discrepancies to the Engineer. The VI is the Engineer's eyes and ears on the project; The VI has no authority to require corrective actions without the Engineer's blessing. The VI is not the arresting officer, prosecutor, judge, or jury. The Verification Inspector observes and reports to the Engineer.

As for the shielding gas range listed on the WPS, bring it to the Engineer’s attention. He is given the responsibility to review and approve WPSs under the auspices of D1.1. It is his responsibility to decide if the WPSs need to the revised or if any other corrective action is needed. He may ask for the VI's opinion, but the responsibility is still the Engineer’s to accept, reject, to accept as is, or require the contractor to do corrective work.

The VI can accept the Engineer’s decisions or find a different job if his decisions are so horribly unjustified the VI cannot live with them. It happens. I have made that decision, i.e., I left the project because I did not want my name associated with the goings on of the project.  

Before I forget; is the contractor using the maximum gas shielding flow rate listed by the current WPS? If not, is the flow rate within the accepted range if it was listed correctly? In other words, if the contractor insists on using the maximum flow rate that is beyond the premissible range based on the flow rate recorded on the PQR, then there is a concern. If the maximum flow rate is needed to weld, then I agree that a new WPS using the higher flow rate must be qualified. If the flow rate being used by the welder is within the acceptable ranges based on the flow rate recorded on the PQR, correct the flow rate on the WPS and reissue it as a revision and continue with the work. As for rejecting work already completed, it is nonconforming only if the contractor is exceeding the permitted flow rate based on the flow rate recorded by the PQR. The Engineer must make make the final call if the flow rate is too high.

Best regards- Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 16:07
AMEN!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 02-04-2013 12:11
Who reviews and approves the WPS's prior to production starting? In my line it is the Engineer (from the Contractor and Owners side) and all the Inspector is looking for is an approved WPS.

Don't know how you convert CFM to LTRM. Does not look right to me!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-04-2013 13:07
I do believe the CFM is a Typo error. I cannot recall seeing a flowmeter in the USA graduated for CFM. All the shielding gas metering devices and procedures I've ever used are Cubic Feet per HOUR.
At 25 CFM, a 220 cu. ft. bottle would last just long enough to asphyxiate the welder...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2013 13:10 Edited 02-04-2013 13:19
I think you are right "CFH" is what all of my flow meters have on the glass....along with the metric counterpart on the reverse side.

EDIT*
BTW, Here is the conversion for CFH to L/min

1 cubic foot/hour = 0.471 947 449 99 liter/minute

L/min to CFH

1 liter/minute = 2.118 879 972 8 cubic foot/hour

online conversions for flow rates for volume can be found here:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/flow_rate_volume.htm
Parent - By rsneha Date 12-28-2018 11:04 Edited 12-14-2019 07:08
measurment converter
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2013 14:18
SF,

While technically correct, I believe I have been as guilty as many welders in shops and elsewhere of calling it 'CFM' instead of 'CFH'.  I am going to guess that it is partly because our air compressors and several other devices use a cfm rating for air flow/capacity. 

Besides that, if he types like me  :roll:  it is just a typo.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-04-2013 15:01
Uhhhh, ahemm... Me Too!
Just pointing it out for clarification of a previous post concerning the CFM to CLPM is all.
Not my fault, comes with us "Old School" types that went through high school bragging about our 1150 CFM carburators. Remember those Gm/Rochester  "Quadra Drink" (Quadra-Jet) carbs that would spit gas out the tail pipe when the secondaries kicked in?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-04-2013 15:10
SF
You were right because he did the conversions correctly for CFH (when rounded... I came up with 25cfh = 11.7L/min)
CFM would have been alot different as you pointed out.

>gas flow rate at 25 cfm, (12 l/min).

Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-04-2013 16:17
Like the 74 GMC 2500 4X4 with a 350 and Quadra-Jet.  But, for it's time that was one of the best P/U's I have had.  Put over 200,000 miles on it pulling RV's and welders all over the country. 

Though, for pulling my old 40' Mayflower RV with tip outs I must admit my 78 Chev 350 with a 454 did a right fine job.

OOPPS, sorry for the hijack guys, SF got me remembering "the good old days".  :lol:  :confused:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-05-2013 13:45

>Gm/Rochester  "Quadra Drink" (Quadra-Jet)

I was thinking more along the lines of Quadra-junk ....LOL, they were good carbs when new, but unless somebody knew their Quadra-jets well, they didn't rebuild them very well. A common problem was after they had some age on them they leaked around the throttle shafts. A good rebuilder would take the shafts out (if worn) and drill the body/throttle plate bores oversize and press a bushing of the correct diameter into the body/throttle plate so the shafts didn't leak anymore.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-07-2013 21:17
Hello;
I apologize for taking part in topic side-tracking but my yearnings for the old days is strong. I was never much of a fan of the old Rochester Q-Jet. I had several that would load up and you had to sit until it was ready to go again or get something and tap on it; thinking stuck needle valve. But, if you had a good one and opened up the secondary, there has never been a better sounding four barrel. That is just an opinion of course. A guy in my neighborhood had one on an old Cutlass. You could hear him coming from a mile away when he opened it up................ ah, the good old days.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-04-2013 16:42
Hey Nantong

Have not seen you in a long time.

It's good!
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 02-05-2013 12:50
Hi Superflux what is CLPM? Is is it related to SLPM (square litres per minute)! Sorry I always try and look at the funny side no disrespect intended.

If he is out by a couple of litres how do you know the flow metres are accurate to that level? I have never seen them calibrated? How about if your argon hose is double the length of the one used on the procedure. You will not have the same flow at the torch if it is twice as long.

Hi Lawrence, I think 46 has a point. Forum has the same old faces and not much in the way of new interesting topics.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-05-2013 13:34
Uhhhhhmmmm...

This is volumetric not linear/two dimensional, so it has to be "Cubic Litres"!
How else can you accurately measure a litre if you don't cram it into a cube. I never took calculus so verifying a litre milk or water bottle is to much math for this brain dead welder.
Good catch on my "Cranial Cramp". I would have really felt mentally deficient had I posted flow rate in Cubic Pounds per square inch.

We use flow meters with a soft seal that fits over GMAW and FCAW nozzles to verify flow.

Thanks for dropping by nantong and jazzing up the site, and catching me in my faux pas.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2013 14:41 Edited 02-05-2013 14:44
Nantong,

I would 'slightly' disagree with the complaint expressed to Lawrence about the forum being the same old faces and no new material. 

We are always welcoming new members/posters.  And, they occassionally ask questions that take different directions than others I have seen.  Now, I have only been active here for about 4 years plus lurking a couple of years before that (had to change my log in when I got active because somewhere along the lines I forgot 'exactly' how I had signed up the first time.).

I think it is important to remember that the purpose of this forum is not neccessarily to INTRODUCE new topics of discussion that will intrigue and inform members of all education, certification, and IQ levels.  It is here though for members of any level to bounce ideas off of, ask questions when in doubt of various applications, and/or just see what is going on in the welding community.

Now, I for one don't mind members such as yourself bringing up topics from time to time just for the sake of sparking a discussion.  Lawrence did a fine job of that recently on behalf of one of his students who finally got involved in the discussion personally and then came back later with some more questions.  Young, inquisitive minds can really give all of us a fresh perspective and inspire us to seek deeper understanding of our profession as we seek to answer their questions.

In that same line of thought, I would think that if you, 46.00 and electrode had and would take the time to frequent here more often and offer good conversation direction and participation that the forum would indeed be better off.  But for some reason, and it may not be on purpose, but the way you guys ask questions tends to come across as condesending and snobish and just ends up causing tension and arguing.  Not always, in fact I highly commend electrode for his participation in Lawrence's/Kara's thread.  He was really helpful and enlightening even though a part of it went over most of the heads here.  But if one followed the thread through it answered a lot of question and brought out a lot of conversation without bickering, belittling, and degrading others. 

I am not saying that those conflicts are always your fault.  Just as recently with my exhausted, sick state I misunderstood Henry and I was the one who actually responded wrong.  Thankfully Henry responded kindly and explained himself further, and Lawrence helped.  I was humbled by their patience and kindness and desire to see the conflict cleared up, and not, as too often happens, just start a battle that ends up ruining a thread with all the verbal assualts made.  We all make mistakes.  Communication is so fragile and easy to misunderstand, especially on an open forum like this.  We all need to try to clear up those times and not just blow them up and shoot our own wounded and scare off the newbies.

I do thank you for coming in here every so often even though you are discouraged with the current content.  Why don't you start some discussions that you feel would be of benefit for the participants here?  One can either do so by asking a question to see how others would interpret/apply/inform from their perspective OR just start an information thread similar to writing an article.  In fact, if you wanted to write an article and send it to the Welding Journal or Inspection Trends and then watch the comments start flowing here.  Both of them could use some good new authors contributing articles. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-06-2013 10:06
welderbrent,

I don't believe I have ever belittled or degraded others on this forum?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-06-2013 16:24

Just for the record, I re-read my own post to make sure, I didn't say you did.  But that is where problems come about some times.  Misunderstanding about the way someone else says something. 

But there are times when ALL OF US can accidentally offend someone else by the way we say something.  And, sometimes it is unavoidable.  Some people just seem to look for a reason to start a rant. 

I'm just asking you to get more involved instead of just saying there is nothing new here.  So, take the bull by the horns and start something.  A subject of interest that you are doing research on anyway.  Something specific to a work situation, maybe you have the answer and have cleared it up at work but HEY, it may be interesting for us to see how you reached the decision.  So many options.  But, as most of us know so little about each other, we don't know what types of things you are looking for to be worth your time to respond to and keep your interest. 

And, one of my earlier points may be better summarized as... sometimes other people are actually intimidated by others.  And the words used, sentence structure, and many other things make them get their back up.  Or, questions get asked instead of answers given that for their own reasons makes them feel like the person asking thinks they are stupid.  That doesn't have to be the intent.  It just happens.  We have all seen relationships- work, family, friends, destroyed by poor communications and/or misunderstandings. 

At any rate, challenge our knowledge so all of us can advance.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-07-2013 13:28
Hi Brent!

Thanks for your reply. I guess we are covering old ground again. But I fully agree, it is very, very easy to misunderstand each other on these technical type or indeed most internet forums, even more so when different cultures are involved. Having been over here in the US for the past year or so and having had an American education, I should be familiar with the difference in nuances but sometimes I find myself still being caught out!

I have tried on one or two occasions to forward a 'Topic' just to stimulate the forum, sometime's a 'rant' can be the start of interesting debate!

Europeans tend to use a formal structured sentence layout which may seem stand offish (or superior) to our American cousins. By the same token, it is easy to appear arrogant and bullheaded to Europeans by the American directness of communication. These are stereotypes inherent in internet communications. I have had several hot debates with certain members of this forum, and had PM's which were at least borderline if not outright threats! I have absolutely no problem with this, but I can imagine most Europeans would.

I know Stephan and more recently Electrode have probably fallen foul of this phenomenon, even going back to 3.2, I doubt you will see these people return. Nantong seems to keep coming back now and again, I guess for tips on how to stop the ageing process, probably one subject he is not expert at!

Regards your 'Intimidation' comment, wow, I am working with an ex-military person (20+ years service), he was pulled by safety for not clipping on correctly to a man lift, anyhow he gave a flippant remark and was reported for 'looking' intimidating! Knowing this person, he is a pussy cat in mountain lion fur, but the fact is, given the very nature of his appearance, he was judged.

No one should be subjected to any form of intimidation and as I am an overweight 40+ something ex-office dweller, I am the last person to intimidate anyone (not accusing anyone of blaming me of being so!), I can't even educate my dogs!
I believe as an Welding Inspector/Professional , you should be pretty immune to intimidation of any sort and if you feel the need to try and intimidate some one, then you have pretty much have lost any respect and defiantly your argument!

I fully believe that this is most likely the best welding site at present in the world, each and every one of the contributors are a mound of information! No one is stupid for asking a question....ever!

Regards
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-05-2013 15:20
Nantong

My face gets older every day..

What is to be done?
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-06-2013 10:07
Botox!
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 02-07-2013 10:46
Welderbrent I am not complaining just making an observation. With regard to posting queries myself I would find it hard. If I have a problem/query on the job I go back to the designers who write the specs (which can sometimes be embarrassing for them!) as it is their responsibility to answer. As a Professional Member of TWI I am in the fortunate position of being able to ask them for expert advice I do not want to sit down and write hypothetical questions for this forum as I think that would be pointless.

Lawrence are you worried about getting older? Shame on you!

46.00 where can I buy this Botax ha!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-07-2013 11:27
When I worked for United Airlines we partnered with both EWI and TWI...  Great resources!

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.  The eggheads at TWI could learn a thing or two from some of the folks right here... Don't doubt it.

Nantong... I'm not worried about getting old.    A place has been prepared for me from before the day that the first star was set into the heavens.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-07-2013 14:13
AMEN!!

And guys, thank you (Nantong, 46.00) for your comments.  46.00, I hope you are wrong about Electrode not returning.  I really enjoyed our discussion and his input while going through Kara's original question. 

Hypothetical...okay, maybe not in that exact course.  But, why not just a topic that at some point comes to mind and you start doing research on?  Why can't we be part of someone else's learning curve?  Asking more questions that may actually lead to the answer?  Maybe coming up with a previously unthought of resource?  Maybe even having the answer? 

And I have often started threads having to do with a problem that came up during an inspection for informational purposes.  And, more than once, someone challenged my thinking on how I had resolved it in a way that caused me to rethink my interpretation.  But even if one doesn't change his stand, challenge makes us research and make even more dedicated and informed of a stand. 

I love going through this forum because I feel I learn from it everyday.  Maybe only something about the quirks of a welding machine, or the type of suspension the guys are using on their trucks, or the UT equipment that someone prefers and why.  But, my favorites are the D1 and Inspections discussions. 

Above all, I just want people to feel appreciated for their comments even when we disagree.  There is no need for putting up walls and drawing battle lines.  Just choose to agree to disagree.  But come away with another perspective and be open minded enough to think about it. 

Well, I have probably been off the actual topic of this thread long enough.  Just know that you are all appreciated to me.  I always learn something even when I side against someone in a topic. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By wgaryr (*) Date 02-18-2013 07:29
Gentlemen,

You have all gotten way off track of the question and point.  Regardless of CFM or CFH, the question is a WPS, per D1.1 requires requalification, if the essential variables don't meet the requirements of table 4.5.  The WPS does meet the requirement of the code, but not the PQR which supports it and was the qualifying document.  This is a passenger safety related structural product paid for with Federal and State tax dollars, and the operational authoirity has liability for any and all mishaps.  If the original WPS, which was qualified by the PQR had the correct flow when qualified and the current WPS does not how does simply changing the WPS to meet the PQR, satisfy the code requirements, or the tax payers? 

Tough crowd !
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-18-2013 08:25
Do you think an increase in gas flow is going to alter the mechanical properties of the welded pieces? I suppose given all the information, you must call for Requalification!
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-18-2013 10:22
wgaryr,
Why don't you answer the questions that were put to you previously ?

Shane Feder
Why are you allowing them to continue welding if they do not have an approved WPS - either approved by you or your companies Welding Engineer ?

Welderbrent
The questions really are, 1) who do you represent; 2) at what stage is the job in; and 3) do you understand your job specifications?

Nantong
Who reviews and approves the WPS's prior to production starting? In my line it is the Engineer (from the Contractor and Owners side) and all the Inspector is looking for is an approved WPS.

It seems like you have made up your mind and you came on here to try and find someone to agree with you - unfortunately everyone disagrees with your stance.

PQRs/WPSs are supposed to be reviewed and accepted prior to an arc being struck.
If they have been previously approved by someone in your company take the issue up with them.
If they haven't been approved it might be a good idea to find out why not ?

Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-07-2013 11:50
Houbiaoying Rd 83号, 210007 Nanking, China
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Changes without re-qualification