Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Edition year
- - By Bill M (***) Date 02-13-2013 21:32
When will the next edition year of D1.1 Code come out? 

I have to decide on either buying a 2010 or wait ?? to buy the next edition.

I have a 2006 but borrowing a 2010 from down the office hall is getting old. 

thnx
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-13-2013 21:48
2015. AWS has gone to a 5 year revision for D1.1.

jrw159
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-14-2013 03:19
Hello Bill;

Just because AWS publishes a new edition of D1.1 is no reason to rush out to buy a copy. You need to use the edition that is invoked by the building code or by the customer/Owner.

Most states are several years behind in adopting a specific edition of AWS D1.1. In my state the applicable edition is dependent on whether the Engineer uses the Allowable Stress Design or the Load Reduction Factored Design. The state building code invokes either the 1988 edition or the 2000 edition depending on which design parameters the Engineer elects to use. The Engineer may elect to specify a more recent edition, but it must be noted in the project documents.

All sorts of havoc can erupt if the inspector or the fabricator arbitrarily uses the wrong edition because the requirements contained in D1.1 change from edition to edition. It opens the offending party to all sorts of problems including financial ruin.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 02-18-2013 15:39
I understand your point Al, but I see a lot of RFQ's stating welding requirements "to comply with the latest edition of D1.1".
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-18-2013 16:44
Very true Bill, but, in other locations of the GSN and Job Specifications it will often call out the edition that was used when in design and sometimes that is to be used for inspections while somewhere else stating the "latest edition".  I have gotten the response that '2006 was the latest edition when it was designed, permitted, and approved for construction'. 

So, which is it?  The latest edition when the engineer designed it? Or the latest edition period?  Either way, I usually have my 2006, 2008, and 2010 editions on hand.  If there is a conflict we take it to the engineer. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2013 19:08
I have a few editions of various codes lying around in the office. Hate having to buy new ones, but that's why we make the big bucks!
Rule #1) You just don't get to keep all the money... no matter what the business, there's always overhead and hidden expenses.
Rule #2) It's ALL TAX DEDUCTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 02-18-2013 21:16
Thanks Guys,

Now If we could train the sales guys....there wouldn't be an issue!

"SURE we can build it to WHATEVER Code you want...yeah we build it to the New Zealand underwater earthquake proof section of that new South Iceland code before....Same Price...we'll just add some buzz words to the contract later...no need to talk to engineering...just sign here and we'll be on our way!"
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Edition year