Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden... Is Screwed
- - By MMyers (**) Date 02-14-2013 15:25
I bumped into this yesterday and figured some guys here would like it.  I thought it was just going to be a historical account of what happened but there's quite a bit more in there than just a history lesson. 
http://www.esquire.com/print-this/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313?page=all
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-15-2013 13:15
Interesting reading.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-16-2013 19:24
Read some of this elsewhere but good reading.

Chaps my backside to no end when a soldier of this caliber is dumped on by the government. Three years shy of his 20, beat, bruised and battered from the 16 dedicated years he has put in and they raise the issue of being a few years short. I'm sure the next scumbag politician that goes to D.C and spends two years and leaves will get his healthcare, pension and who knows what else. Your standard soldier such as myself, if I left at 16 and they said no, well dummy, you should have done 4 more. But an elite operator like this? Are you kidding me?

They have said that our troops coming home are finding that our gub'ment is not supporting them. I think they compared it to the soldiers returning home from Vietnam.

Sad news for "the shooter", it took me about 10 years to get my disability benefits from the government. Countless letters, visits to private doctors, the VA.

As I said though, be happy that our Politicians will have benny's no matter how long they are in.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-16-2013 20:20
I thought this type of behaviour and attitude towards ex-servicemen was unique to the UK government. I was always under the impression that the US respected their veterans more, given the fact that airlines etc allow them to board early, people aren't afraid to wish uniformed people good will and thanks etc. I like that!
Seems like the US could be following the UK were service for the country is seen as an embarrassment.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-16-2013 20:51
Glyn,

Overall I feel your view is correct, our servicemen are greatly respected in most circles today.

BUT, I also see a reverting to the mentality of post Viet Nam vets who were very lowly esteemed by many.

I think as people's view of the war changes and as our current administration, regardless of their public rhetoric, runs down the military and current actions then we see more and more disregard for our servicepeople. 

I hate to think it could end up the same as a previous generation.  And we do have a good many liberals who don't think we should still be over there. 

God Bless all our servicemen and women.  Thanks for all you do and have done.  Wish I had work for this man.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-16-2013 23:31
Amen!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-17-2013 04:02
I can't say anything good about the situation...I will just spare yall my TIRADE BECAUSE it would take up the rest of the page.

GOD BLESS our troops and that includes Coast Guard....whether you dodged bullets or change tires in the shop...God Bless you for your service to me and my family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-17-2013 09:07
Well, I guess it's ok to throw the Puddle Pirates in there too.
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 02-20-2013 01:19
I know a lot of guys on here are not going to like this but, as a former active duty Marine I feel no pitty for this guy. He made the decision to exit before his 20 now he has to live with the decision he made. I now for a fact that with separation from service he set threw over a weeks worth of classes and days of more peper work on top of that and, every step along the way you are asked over and over to stay in service. Everyone that has ever raised their right hand and taken the oath to serve knows what is reguired of them to get the benifits they desire. I thank him for his service and what he did for this country but, he understood the regulations long before he pulled the triger that night.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-20-2013 11:44
Jaxddad

Dwight

My upbringing taught me to not speak bad of anyone, (if you can't say something good don't say anything at all).

So I will just say GOOD points, it seems this world we live in wants everything for nothing and pity-parties are running rampant.

Thanks  :cool:

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-20-2013 15:11
Jaxddad,

I hope you are wrong about many on here not liking your comment, there is much truth to that that no one can argue.

The main problem comes down to any military person having a problem finding work after military service.  In some cases they don't have the type of training that fits most job descriptions in civilian life, as I believe the case here shows.  If he really wants totally out of anything related to his military training then 'HE' has greatly limited his options.  But, there should be more companies out there who would take up the banner for these guys and help them get the training they need to fit in to a non-combat, civilian, productive, job. 

I hope all goes well for him and others.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-20-2013 16:16
It is not always so clear cut and dry.
You never what know what the other person is experiencing even if you are right there on the same mission.
Decisions are made every day (whether in haste or well thought out!) that can and do affect you for the rest of your life and other peoples lives... think "Butterfly Effect".
I've been in conflicts on 2 sides of the Asian continent and have my own unique perspectives from both arenas.
Latest issue is I can't go into a Porta-can at night without shining a flashlight onto the floor and into the bowl. A year and half ago after the spring thaw a mechanic in Kandahar got chased out of one by a Viper. The look in his eyes was comical (sorry dude!). The Army "tourist book" for Afghanistan lists the one he described as deadly poisonous, but so little is known about them that it is questionable whether they are neuro or hemo toxic. I'd sure hate to have carved on my tombstone that I died taking a #2.

One possible civillian job for the Seal in this discussion is to be a field operator or a consulting job for BlackWater type service companies. Being Blart the mall cop sure aint gonna cut it.
The story we read is only one of countless missions. Who knows what the others required of him. This was a high profile mission, historic in nature, but in probability, better planned (if there is such a thing) by the nature of the target than others... we'll never know.
Audie Murphy spent the rest of his nights sleeping with a .45 for a pillow. Just as many other combat Vets do.

You will always leave a part of yourself in the war zone, and bring home a piece of the war with you. The best one can hope for is that it makes you a better person.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-22-2013 17:57
Prior service Marine here as well and a guy like me who turned wrenches who (if I stayed in) had 16 years in and just decided I was done I can agree with what you said. However, I and most likely you were not elite operators like this guy. Spends an average of 300 days away from home, dropped in behind enemy lines on countless unspeakable missions, how many lives has he taken and how many times has he stuck his neck out wondering if he would ever see his family again. Our grunts do it too but not on the level of a SEAL operator, DELTA or any of the other secret non-existent special ops groups out there. Having to remain silent about what you did for the last 16 years, always looking over his shoulder. Sure, he knew what he was getting into when he signed the dotted line and started his path towards SEAL training but how is it some jackleg from Anycity, USA gets into congress then does a horrible job leading to his removal from office come election time get full bennies after two years of service? He get's voted out cause he sucked but still reaps the rewards? I'd gladly kick a 2 year congressman to the curb and give the retirement to "the shooter".

Four more years for guys like me and most likely you would have been a cake walk, a tour in the sandbox, bounce around stateside or something but nothing like four more years in SEAL Team 6. This guy survived years of being shot at, blown up at and God (and our government) only know what else and he made it through which to me means he is darn good at what he does. Will a measley $2300/month break the bank for our government? I doubt it, they whiz away more than that in a minute. Not to mention all of the cell phones I pay for that I never see. Should he have done his 20? Yeah, ok, but he dropped Osama, he's holding up his oath and maintaining his honor, code and not writing a book like the other guy, aka, blabber mouth.

Pitty for this guy, nope, I have no pitty either. Respect, darn tooting. This guy could bust in my room, pop me between the eyes before I even got my hand off my willy. Disappointing is the fact that they offered him work as a beer truck driver? Huh? I know when I was in there were plenty of civilian teachers. A guy like this would be a gold mine of knowledge. Say, "shooter" come on back, finish off your four as an instructor. Talk to some of their buddies, head down to the FBI, CIA and see Joe. Yeah, he chose to get out but he's not your average Joe.
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 02-23-2013 01:03
Prior service Army, and you it the nail on the head.Why do career politicans get treated better than someone who spent their time serving our country, while eating crap food and living in marginal conditions. Why do they have a gym, if they did everything they said, they would be to busy to use it.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-23-2013 02:49
"Why do career politicans get treated better than someone who spent their time serving our country, while eating crap food and living in marginal conditions"

The answer is rather simple, Our politicans were allowed to make the rules concerning their own retirement benifits, and our troups were not.
Is it fair ? No. Is it right ? No. Will it change ? Unfortunately, probably not.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-24-2013 14:52
That's what I was thinking Dave when I read the reply. The only job I know where you get hired in (elected) and you can vote for your own raise and benefits? Think our forefathers dropped the ball on that one!! LOL!!!

How much money could be saved if all politicians with less than 20 had their bennies cut off. Same rules apply, 20 and done or less than 20 and none. As you said though, we'd have better luck colonizing Jupiter than getting the rats in D.C to make that change.
- - By texwelder (***) Date 02-17-2013 13:44
I thought Obama killed him thats what he says ?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-17-2013 19:23
Darn Tex, your just trying to get the Obummer clan fired up aren't you!! :lol::lol:
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 02-18-2013 02:12
Nah I was just saying what I heard hehe
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden... Is Screwed