Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Seismic questions
- - By jdrmmr (*) Date 03-01-2013 01:13
Will be starting a job with seismic implications soon and was reading all the “stuff”.  Tried several searches and not many returns on D1.8

AWS D1.8 2009 Clause 6.1 ….WPSs shall be prequalified, or shall be qualified by test….
        Question, are they referring to the prequalified WPSs in D1.1?
        Just have the additional requirements added to the prequalified WPS per D1.8, Clause 6.1?

I assume the welder must follow same layer sequence on the restricted test as is mandated in D1.8 Clause 6.14 for production? Everybody knows what assume means, so I need to find the correct answer from the correct people.

Again as always thank all of you for your help. This site is amazing.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 03-01-2013 04:47
Since you are going to be doing seismic work, I'm sure you have a copy of AWS D1.8 2009 close at hand.  If you open the front cover and look to the bottom of the page you'll see that AWS D1.8 supplements the requirements of AWS D1.1.  Your assumption is correct.
Parent - - By jdrmmr (*) Date 03-02-2013 00:40
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have a 2009 copy of the code.

Having not used D1.8 I was only trying to reinforce my thoughts.

I’ve got a meet and greet coming up soon and was making a list as to what the erector is going to find new. There are lots of new information and requirements for erectors that find D1.1 hard to accept and now we’re going to change gears and start using a supplemental code that has additional restrictions.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-02-2013 17:08
Sounds like these folks would be better off using FC 2002.

You might be just the person to recommend using FC 2002 as an alternative to D1.1/D1.8. After all, that dang D1.1 is so difficult to read (it could use a few more pictures) and even worse to implement.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Seismic questions