Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / UT of PJP welds per D1.1
- - By trapdoor (**) Date 02-28-2013 05:07
Clause 6, 6.20.1 states that the procedures set forth in Part F shall govern the UT of groove welds and heat affected zones............

Do you feel the procedures set forth in Part F provide for the UT of partial joint penetration groove welds? I have'nt seen this adressed in the book of D1.1 interpretations. Is it me or does this seem intentionaly vauge? I would love to hear what others think about this, I know how I feel.

All opinions are welcome.
Ramon
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 03-01-2013 04:05
nothin huh?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-01-2013 12:27
I'm not sure what you are really asking. D1.1 gives the UT guy some direction as how to perform his/her job, and in some cases they nail down certain things like what transducer to use(size, frequency etc), and if you deviate, then you have to prove your method by testing(just like a prequalified vs a qualified WPS).
What is it that you think is too vague?(be a bit more specific), maybe somebody has some insight that can help you.

Do you have a Level III that you work under who can help?

Are you wanting to know exactly how to UT a PJP or a fillet weld? If so start out by mapping out the joint so that you can see ahead of time what to expect on the screen while scanning.

I'm just not clear what the question is...or if you just want an opinion of what someone thinks about D1.1
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-01-2013 13:59
I’m with John on this post.

D1.1 addresses the testing of complete joint penetration groove welds on plate and structural shapes and tubulars larger than 12 3/4 inches. PJP, fillet welds, tubulars smaller than 12 3/4 inch must be qualified by testing to demonstrate they can detect discontinuities of interest. Procedures for testing materials less than 5/16 inch thick must be qualified by testing as well.

Developing NDT procedures is usually beyond the Level II's capability and in many cases beyond the capability of the anointed Level III. Developing a procedure for unusual configurations requires the expertise of someone that really understands ultrasonic theory, not simply the of  mechanics how UT works.

It is often the case that developing and qualifying a procedure for UT is not cost effective for small jobs that entail a limited number of joints.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By trapdoor (**) Date 03-02-2013 03:21
Thanks for the responses. My reasons for asking are purely for the sake of conversation.

Al I totally agree with what you have said. But to play the devils advocate D1.1 Clause 6 Part F does not specifically say that the procedures in part F are for CJP welds only. A person with the right knowledge and experiance would come to the conclusion that the procedures in Part F do not really lend themselves to UT of a PJP weld yet 6.20.1 does not clearly say this. I was just wondering why the code is silent on this.

If I am totally missing something here please let me know.

6.20.1 Procedures and Standards. The procedures and
standards set forth in Part F shall govern the UT of groove
welds and HAZs between the thicknesses of 5/16 in and
8 in [8 mm and 200 mm] inclusive
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / UT of PJP welds per D1.1