Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dynasty 350 Question
- - By Blaster (***) Date 03-07-2013 23:33
Will the newest Dynasty 350s light up a used pure tungsten electrode reliably without a bunch of misfires like the older Dynasty 300s?  Even at low current levels?

Thanks
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-07-2013 23:46
I don't think that Miller recommends the use of pure tungsten with the  Dynasty 350.

M.G.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-08-2013 00:14
Why the heck can't a state of the art heliarc machine light every tungsten ever made?
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-09-2013 00:24
Did you get manual with your Dynasty 350? The company that I work for bought three of the Dynasty 350 and it takes a lot of getting use to, but when you do you will not want to use any other welding machine.Will back to the manual you can go to the Miller web site and put the serial number in and you can make a copy of the manual the reason that I know this is I had a friend bought one used and he didn't get one.

M.G.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 03-09-2013 01:19
Hi Milton - I don't have one yet.  I am just thinking of getting one.  I know Miller didn't recommend pure with the Dynasty 300, and for good reason - the arc starting was horrible after the first arc start when the electrode end would become round.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-08-2013 04:20
The answer is yes because you can adjust the machine so it will not melt the pure like a cheap candle. For what its worth and this is just my opinion, if you like and only want to use a balled tungsten get a Syncrowave. The Dynasty machines are not designed to use pure tungsten with AC. I can't stand using a balled tungsten on aluminum anymore! 2% lanthanated is what I use on everything with my Dynasty. I can keep a nice sharp point on any material I weld on. The Dynasty allows me to adjust to any and every condition I have ever come across. I would never consider a transformer type machine because they are too big, use too much power and they just don't have the versatility of a Dynasty IMO. I do a lot of thick material to thin tubing in aluminum. Being able to stomp on the pedal and keep a sharp point with absolutely no wondering arc at all is what I love about the machine.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 03-08-2013 21:42
Thanks weldwade - I missed this the first time, but you say it will are start reliably?  Thanks for the info!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-08-2013 06:26 Edited 03-08-2013 06:40
Pure tungsten electrodes should have been taken off the market 20 years ago.

They have ZERO benefit above any other type of electrode for any GTAW application.

Throw them away...  Do not spend another dime on pure tungsten electrodes.

Low melt point... Poor emitter... Bad bad bad...

The difference between a 10 pack of Pure and a pack of Lanthanum or Cerium electrodes?   A couple bucks

What I don't understand is why the Vendors still sell the stupid things.

I have Dynastys, Aerowaves, Synchrowaves and Powerwaves.... Transformer... Inverter... For all of them I prep my tungsten electrode with a pointed end for AC operations on aluminum...

Why Lar... you ask...."Why Lar can you do this with $7,000 inverters and also Synchrowave transformers???   Well I'm glad you asked...   90% of production work on aluminum with AC current done with inverters is produced with  AC balence that could be obtained by a Synchrowave.

With a water cooled torch there is NO NEED TO BALL A TUNGSTEN

If you are spending $7,000 Dollars for a Dynasty 350.... Why not spend $150 on a water cooled torch and a tungsten thats worth a ****?

Boeing's Aluminum tubing shop uses friggin Thoriated tungstens for ALL of there work, which is all 100% X-ray... All pointed... They just don't overheat their electrodes..... It's really that simple.

::::::::::Drops microphone and exits the building

Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 03-08-2013 21:28
Haha, I almost prefaced my post with "Please don't tell me pure isn't a good choice on an advanced featured inverter"  as I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, and I KNEW someone would want to helpfully correct me.

I currently have Sync 250, Precision TIG 375, Dynasty 300, Dynasty 700, and Lincoln Invertec V311s, and have time on the Aerowave and several other TIG power sources.  Not new to TIG welding, variable output frequency, exteneded balance control, pulsed welding, asymmetric wave forms, or alloyed tungstens.  I use all the common alloys every day:  La, Ce, Th, and pure, including AC use of La and Ce in circumstances where they provide a meaningful benefit.

My Lincoln inverters will light a pure on AC with no problem at all. 

I prefer pure with relatively low amperage on modest aluminum thickness (3/32 - 3/16) when I want good arc stability and I don't want to listen to the buzz of a fast AC output cycle.  I also like the tip never erroding in shape to were it needs to be redressed.

Thanks so far, but I would still like to know if anyone can answer my question.  I have no plans to change my ways!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-08-2013 22:28 Edited 03-08-2013 22:33
Hey I know you're an old hand...   

Just felt uppity last night  :)

If "All" I was welding was aluminum and I wanted to keep the arc right at the tip of the tungsten at low current levels I would go with Zirconium...     When it naturally balls up over time, it does not become misshapen like other types do from time to time...   In my experience... Which is pretty extensive... Zirconium has the best low amp AC arc and it's not even close.

I hate the effect when you tail off the current on AC and the arc spins around the end of the tungsten... This happens regularly at low current levels and 60 hz... It happens way less with Zirconium.. Especially if it is pointed (yes with a transformer)

Zirconium just isn't versatile so I don't recommend it much any more...   But it has much higher current carrying capacity than Pure... Melts the same and is WAY better as an emitter (arc starts and stabelization across the zero point)

With due respect Your excellent knowledge Blaster.... Please forgive my little rant........  You are entitled to "your ways"   even if I disagree for what I think are compelling reasons  :)

I have a Saturday class tomorrow...   I prolly have time to find some pure tungsten in the scrap tungsten drawer......  I'll put some on my dynasty and give you a review old friend.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 03-08-2013 22:56
Thanks Lawrence, its all good. ;)  That would be great if you had a chance to try it and could let me know.  I would certainly appreciate it!

You are quite right about Zirc!  I have used a fair amount of it and it is an excellent electrode for AC use.  I like to taper it down quite a bit and then melt a round tip (not ball) on the end.  Only down side I have found is that at low current levels an extra step may be required to form a nice evenly rounded tip prior to welding.  I either fire up on scrap and ease up the current until a good tip shape is formed, or add a little EP, get a nice tip, and then put the balance back where I want it for the weld.

Because of this I usually use La or Ce for more "technical" AC welds, particularly for thin or thick sections, and pure for the really easy stuff.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-09-2013 01:23
Lawrence you are a dangerously funny man.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dynasty 350 Question