Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heavy Haul trailer welding Question
- - By Mac L (*) Date 03-13-2013 15:19
I work for a company that builds mobile power substations that are built onto a heavy haul trailer. Our normal spec to the trailer manufacturer calls for all joints to be welded completely with no stops. This applies to every joint on the trailer wether it is necessary or not. The purpose of this spec is to prevent corrosion. We have recently used a new manufacurer who does not want to comply with the spec, claiming that certain joints are left unwelded to allow the trailer to flex without cracking welds. This explanation does make sense to me, but I am not an engineer, and I am not familiar with any trailer code (if there is one out there). The problem is that the two trailer manufacturers are in conflict about wether or not this is an issue. It seems to me that without allowing flex the welds will crack eventually, wich will rust, and the cracks will most likely propagate into a worse situation than leaving the areas unwelded in the first place. Does anyone out there have an answer?

Mac
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 03-17-2013 13:19
this probably isnt the answer your looking for but ive seen alot of trailers and other equipment where joints and seams are filled with heavy duty caulking or glue to seal out water where its not welded.
- - By F-17 (**) Date 03-13-2013 15:36
Built trailers for years myself................. if you weld across the rail you stymie the motion of the ocean and will have a broken frame rail,always weld with the rail never across it.I'd buy a trailer from the outfit that won't weld across the rail myself,as they are right and your drawing is wrong.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-13-2013 17:09
Mac
You have found yourself in a situation that alot of us have been in many times; but untimately if you are the QC person or even the point person you have to make sure the parts either meet the approved drawings, or carry this issue further up the food chain and have someone who knows what the code requires/ allows, and how it affects this member.
I have never worked on trailers but I understand their position and I almost agree that there probably are areas that should not be wrapped/ welded so as to reduce/ minimize the chance for cracking.  But more importantly it's not your decision to make.  Either it matches the drawing or it doesn't.  Write an NCR and inform someone of the discrepancy and if the fabricator is correct, get the drawings corrected, or a sketch or e-mail, something to cover your ass.
Think if 10 yrs down the line this trailer breaks in half going 65 mph on the highway veers off and takes out a mini van full of church members and after a thourough investigation they discover you signed off on the welds..then what.
Good Luck
- By 803056 (*****) Date 03-13-2013 19:58
You did not say whether your employer designed the heavy hauler and provided the approved drawings to the fabricator or if the fabricator is responsible for designing t heavy hauler to meet criteria established by your employer.  

There are two completely different situations that result in different responses.

If your employer provided the fabricator with a set of design drawings the fabricator has an obligation to construct the heavy hauler per the approved drawings. Any deviation is a noncompliance unless your employer gives them permission to change the design.

If your employer provided the fabricator specific criteria and the fabricator has the responsibility to design and construct the heavy hauler, then the fabricator can pretty must do as they wish as long as the criteria is met.

If the latter is the case, I would expect your employer to have an opportunity to review the proposed design before giving the fabricator the "go ahead" to begin construction. If your employer didn't review the design, shame on your employer.

Over the road vehicles are subject to fatigue. The designer must factor in conditions like changes in thickness, changes in width, sharp corners, or changes in geometry that tend to concentrate stresses and promote fatigue failure. Companies that have a long history of building heavy haul trailers usually have plenty of experience designing with fatigue in mind. They know what does and what doesn't work. I would consider the fabricator's history as part of the selection process.

Whichever scenario fits your situation, the fabricator has an obligation to construct the heavy hauler in accordance with the approved design drawings regardless of who actually designed it.

Best regards - Al
- By Dualie (***) Date 03-17-2013 23:12
seems as if corrosion was such a problem where you are they would specify the trailers be hot dip galvanized?
- By Mac L (*) Date 03-20-2013 17:17
Thanks everyone for your input. It turns out that Al is correct. We only provided the manufacturer with a set of specs and they were responsible for the design/build. In the design review with our engineers the areas that were left unwelded was accidentally overlooked. For all future jobs the manufacturer has reluctantly decided to meet our spec and weld every joint completely.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heavy Haul trailer welding Question