Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 1.75" Stud crack/break
- - By Mac L (*) Date 03-20-2013 17:43 Edited 03-20-2013 17:53
I recently had a failure in a welded member that I am having trouble figuring out. The failure occurred about 2" from the weld itself. The part is a heat treated C1018 1.75" threaded stud (heat treated to 1650 F to obtain a 40RC hardness) that is welded into a notch on the end of a .5" thick piece of A572 grade 50 plate. The stud is welded with 3 passes on one side and a single pass on the other. Each pass is allowed to cool below 400 F before the next can be started. I have almost no experience with heat treated material and I did not write the procedure. We have had only one failure like this in the past and have been using this procedure for years. My question is first how do I determine if the failure is a material issue or a procedural issue? Second, is a pre/post heat something that I should institute? If so, how do I determine the temps?

Any input is appreciated

Mac
Attachment: P1030050.JPG - Both Failures (104k)
Attachment: P1030051.JPG (100k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-20-2013 18:18
Hi Mac, I heard about this the other day from Adam. Did you guys ever figure out what grade of 1018 you're using? Maybe it is listed on the purchase order somewhere or in the MTRs?
Parent - By Mac L (*) Date 03-20-2013 18:31
Hi John, I actually posted this for Addam. He has been driving it, I have just been helping him out. I believe he is still looking into it.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-20-2013 20:14
Before attempting to give any answer, I'd like to know what kind of steel is C1018.
I'd say that it has nothing to see with SAE/AISI 1018. This latter steel is plain carbon steel with a carbon content of 0,18%. With such a low carbon content it would never reach a hardness of 40 HRC, no matter what heat treatment it will undergo. 
Another question is the following: you say that the stud is heat treated to obtain 40 HRC hardness. Does the heat treatment take place before or after welding?
Looking at the photos you attached, a very preliminary opinion (and I repeat very preliminar) is that a mistake in heat treatment and/or preheating and interpass temperature created a very hard, and hence fragile, region close to the weld that broke when the nut was tightened. Even if you don't mention it, I assume that the stud broke when the nut was tightened.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-21-2013 12:06

>I'd like to know what kind of steel is C1018.

Giovanni, I was trying to get to the bottom of this also....it's hard to investigate if you can't figure out what materials you're dealing with.

I'm hoping they(Mac and Adam) can find a ASTM number or AISI number on something, a Purchase Order, MTR, some paperwork the purchasing department used in purchasing the materials for the project...something to give us some direction. I googled C1018 and found mention of threaded fasteners made of this material and that several articles stated Carbon %'s typical of regular mild steel as you mentioned. However there seem to be many, many ASTM numbers governing this material.

It is my understanding the heat treatment is done "before" welding.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-21-2013 12:16
After another google search, I came up with this...not sure if this is the material they used or not, but this says that C1018 is a cold finished round bar that is drawn through dies, ASTM A108. (sort of like cold rolled, but not exactly)
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/coldfin2.phtml?page=round
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 03-21-2013 13:23
I found a reference to C1018 here:
http://www.imageindustries.com/pdf/cat_ms_mechprop.pdf
It calls out A307, which is a threaded bolt/stud/rod spec up to 60 ksi.   Unfortunately, I don't have access to ASTM specs, so I can't confirm if the spec calls out composition.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-21-2013 14:13
Hi Mike, that is what I found when searching for C1018...several ASTMs, A307 was "one" of the many.
A29 was another common spec that I found several references to, like when purchasing... "the chemical composition to be as A29". Which is where I found carbon %'s similar to most mild steel. One reference says the manganese content is much higher for C1018 than with many mild steels....so IDK exactly what they have. I think the material ASTM needs to be nailed down before we can guess what may have happened to the threaded rod.
Parent - By Mac L (*) Date 03-21-2013 13:42
I think this is the material used. The spec that is used states that "the threaded rods are to have a C1018 cold finish"
Parent - - By Mac L (*) Date 03-21-2013 13:45 Edited 03-21-2013 13:52
Giovanni, I am still working on the specific material that is used. The spec that I have only refers to the material as "C1018 cold finish". Yes, all heat treatment is done before welding and there is no further treatment afterwards. Yes the stud did break when the nut was tightened. The heat treatment is specified as "heated to 1650 F in a carburizing salt bath and water quenched temper at 350-375 C to obtain 40-44RC hardness. To limit the case thickness between .0005 to .002, leave in bath only until parts reach temperature." Most of this is greek to me and the spec was written in 1994.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-21-2013 18:21
Think you might find it's equivalent is ASTM A108
Parent - - By Mac L (*) Date 03-22-2013 15:04
Yes sir it is, I did find some documentation that we are working with ASTM A108-7
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2013 15:40
Now that you know what you're dealing with, go pull the MTRs that came with that piece and look them over to see if the numbers are within tolerance for ASTM A108...just to see if anything jumps out as being out of spec for A108 material.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-22-2013 05:21 Edited 03-22-2013 05:28
OK, now You have told Me something usefull.

You have a low carbon, case hardened part, and the part IS drawn [tempered] after quench, and the case hardened depth is specified at .0005"-.002".

The case hardening and tempering is not for the overall strength of the part, but to provide a harder surface where the nut engages the threads to reduce the chances of galling when tightened.

The core of the stud is intended to remain soft enough so that notch sensitivity is less of a problem in and near the weld, where the heat treatment will be affected by the heat from welding.

I question the effectiveness of the 400 F interpass limit with regards to cracking and believe it is in place to attempt to keep from tempering the threaded portion softer than the 40 R "C". specified.

The chemistry of Your stud is in all probability much like SAE 1018, a mild steel. It is cold finished. You need more information to know for sure.

***** At THIS point I read Giovanni's post further down the page*******

I agree with what He posted.

Something You might check is the hardness of the core of the broken studs, and if possible the ductility.

With regard to aevald's comment about the bottom [route] of the thread being sharp, the lower picture looks like that might be true. The softer the core of the stud, the less of an issue this presents as cracks don't propagate as well in soft materials, but a smoothly radiused bottom is always better as it is less of a stress riser, and less likely to crack when quenched.

Another posibility is that a few of the studs might have been made from A36 or some other substituted material that has less predictable and at times greater hardnability, which would agravate all the other conditions mentioned that might have led to failure.

You did mention pre/post weld heat treatment in the OP. The issue here is that You don't want to temper the part softer than the minimum 40 R"C" specified. This means You would not want to post heat above 350-375, and that pre heat would have to be kept enough below that so the threaded portion did not get above350-375 while welding.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-21-2013 02:10
IF the material is SAE 1018 [really big IF], the only way to get 40 R"C" would require carburization [case hardening] and the depth would be shallow.  If this was done, and the stud quenched but not tempered, the case would be much harder than 40 R"C" and the core would be much softer.

I agree with Giovanni that this C1018 material is probably not SAE 1018 if the other information is correct.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-21-2013 16:39 Edited 03-21-2013 18:33
Mac L,
I would recommend you send your pieces out for failure analysis. From my perspective that is the only way to determine failure. St. Louis Testing or S.I out of Austin Tx. does alot of this kind of work.

thanks
Jim
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-21-2013 19:35
Hello Mac L, I have been following your thread for a while now and I might just interject one other consideration here. First, a question, were these cut or rolled on threads? If they were cut, I would be interested to know if the bottom of the treads had a nice radiused juncture or if they appeared to be exceptionally sharp. Obviously, if they are sharply cut they would be much more prone to the sort of failure that you have included here.

In any way are you able to see any discoloration along the edges of the broken off portion other than the crystalline appearance that might indicate a micro-crack that could have propogated into the failure that you included pictures of? Here again, this might lead away from a completely metalurgical failure to possibly include a mistake in the machining process. Just a bit of food for thought. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-21-2013 22:09
I'm beginning to understand the whole thing.
C1018 is a standard for threaded bars, rods and the like. The material is cold drawn mild (i.e., low carbon) steel. The cold draw operation increases the material hardness and decreases ductility. After having been cold drawn, the threads are cut in a lathe.

Then the piece is case hardened and quenched. As a matter of fact, low carbon steel will never reach 40 HRC, even if cold drawn, and that's the reason for case hardening: have the stud surface  reach a superficial hardness of 40 HRC. I said superficial, i.e., the hardness is limited to a very thin layer in the stud surface. Mac himself says that the hardened thickness is limited to 0,0005 to 0,002 inches. The stud inside is much softer, its hardness being approx. 120 Brinell, as one of the references posted above states. Why such a low hardened thickness? Because the surface hardness purpose is just to resist the rubbing produced by the nut. Apparently, in this application the nut has to be tightened and loosened frequently.

Then, the stud is welded onto the plate. If the whole stud body had a 40 HRC hardness, welding would be impossible, or at least extremely difficult. But only a very thin superficial layer is that hard, and this layer is easily molten down during the first seconds of welding. So, welding can proceed with no difficulty.

Now, after all of these treatments, the stud broke down when the nut was tightened. In my opinion, the fracture looks like a fragile one, not ductile. This would indicate that the fault is not on the material, but on the treatments the stud was subjected to.

Possibility n° 1. As Allan said, the threads bottom might have been cut sharply instead of leaving a radius.
Possibility n° 2. A mistake in case hardening and quenching. The temperatures and/or times were different than those stated by Mac, producing a thicker hardened (and therefore more fragile) layer that didn't resist the stress posed by the nut tightening. Initially a very little crack, the failure propagated to the whole stud section.   
Possibility n° 3. A mistake in the cold drawing operation. The bar was drawn into a smaller dye than the regular one, thus increasing the material hardness and fragility.
Possibility n° 4: ?

Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-22-2013 09:17 Edited 03-22-2013 17:02
Possibility n° 4: ? spatter or a stray arc strike?

Giovanni, what is 'Fragile' fracture?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-22-2013 21:37
before answering your question, I'll have to grab the dear old Marks & Baumeister, which is available in Mackenzie's library, and see how are some Portuguese words translated into English.
What's the translation of "encruamento" and "estricao"?
Unless someone, possibly Al or Henry, are ready to explain you what the fragile fracture is.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-23-2013 02:48
Giovanni, I think frágil is what you are trying to say which translates into Brittle in English.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-23-2013 14:37
You're perfectly right!
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2013 12:14

>Apparently, in this application the nut has to be tightened and loosened frequently.

When speaking with Adam on the phone the other day, he mentioned that this bolted connection will be in service for 30 plus years and they do not want to have to go back and tighten the connection and to his understanding that was the reason he was told that they case hardened the threaded bar.

I suppose they didn't want to gall these threads when tightening the nut?
Wonder if it is possible to double nut this connection so they don't have to worry about the connection loosening over time(30+ years)?

Wondering if the radius at the root of the threads are too sharp as noted by Allan caused this to fail?
Parent - By Mac L (*) Date 03-22-2013 12:54
Yes, the nut is ideally only tightened once. John you're correct in the reason for the case hardening being to prevent the nut from galling. If that does happen there is an enormous amount of work that has to be done to repair the stud. You are also correct in us using a jam nut to prevent any loosening.
Parent - - By Mac L (*) Date 03-22-2013 13:09
Giovanni, thank you for your help in this problem. Your explanation has helped out tremendously. I am leaning towards explanation number 2. Possibly a combination of 1 and 2. After reviewing Allan's post and your own it is noted that there is discoloration. I am guessing that this indicates the starting point of the failure, wich is on the same side and thread in both failures. Most likely from a small crack due too an over hardening??? I have attached some more pictures that may help some other more experienced eyes form an opinion.
Attachment: Image12.jpg - Discoloration (825k)
Attachment: Image13.jpg - There appears to be small cracks along the edge?? (0B)
Attachment: Image19.jpg - profile of the threads (0B)
Attachment: Stud1-3.JPG (0B)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2013 13:19
Mac,
Maybe in the future, the machinist can radius those root transitions vs leaving them square as shown in your picture.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2013 13:37
Mac,
1)Is the C1018 mandatory for the material or can something else be substituted?
2)Also can anti-seize be used on the threads of the nut to prevent galling vs case hardening?
3)Does the nut run up on the threads by hand all the way easily?
4)Is there any slop in the threads?
5)Is it trying to gall while hand tightening?

just a few more questions....
Parent - By Mac L (*) Date 03-22-2013 14:59
Ha no worries on the questions John, I always appreciate the help.

1) I'm not sure about the material, the spec was written in 94. If the person who made the decision on material is still around they may not even remember the reasoning for the C1018. We will need to look into the history a little more.

2) I don't believe that any kind of ant-seize will be allowed because of the contamination issues.

3) Yes the nut usually runs up and down the stud by hand. Except when we get some spatter on them .

4) There is very little, if any slop in the threads.

5) Usually doesn't gall when hand tightening.
- By F-17 (**) Date 03-22-2013 16:04
Welding any threaded components shows a true lack of talent in the engineering department
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 1.75" Stud crack/break