Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / have a welding question
- - By mtcookson Date 05-26-2004 05:36
I'm very new to welding. I took a class recently on *how to* weld but there is still a lot stuff that I don't know and would like to know. One of the major things I'd like to know is what kind of mig wire should I use for welding your everyday steel? I was looking for mig wire on Ebay and there are so many different alloys and such that I'm not sure exactly what to get. I was hoping you guys could lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 05-26-2004 12:15
If you just want a simple quick answer, E70S-6 will do the job for most low carbon steel alloys, used with a 75/25 Argon-CO2 gas (C-25). If you want to know more, you would have to detail what equipment, process, (FCAW?) and application you are planning on using. If you really want to learn in depth about what you are asking, go to

http://weldreality.com/ASTM_A410-A643.htm

There is a great amount of useful material elsewhere on this site, as well as excellent and reasonably priced training materials.

Welcome to welding!
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-27-2004 03:08
Northwelder is right E70s6 is the call for filler material for machines check brwelder.com and do your own research you know what your skills are and what you want to do with it. There are many good units and brands my preferance is Miller and I've owned Lincoln and it was nice, even better I sold it to my buddies at the race garage so I still get to use it. My millermatic 210 is set up with gun-on-demand for regular mig and spoolgun for Aluminum, just dial up wirespeed and amperage and pull the trigger on the appropriate gun. This is a machine I built up to with a 110 volt lincoln weld pak100 with an additional mig kit. I've used many different units and liked most for individual reasons but still like Miller the best.
Safety is not usually someones first thought but I recomend safety gear first, electronic hood and leather jacket, leather gloves, boots. Any exposed skin is at risk of UV burns and UV induced Cancer. Be safe, have fun and always learn from others mistakes whenever you can.

Weld well, weld safe,
pjseaman
Parent - - By mtcookson Date 05-27-2004 03:51
thanks for the help guys! i'm definitely still learning a lot of stuff. i don't know much of the terms for welding stuff but i'm definitely hoping to learn.

for my welder i have a schumacher electronics 110 amp mig/flux core wire welder. it seems to do the job pretty well but could be better.
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 05-27-2004 12:18
The safety aspect should not be overlooked, especially for someone striking their first arc. The dangers to consider are: FIRE-probably the biggest consideration, especially if it's a home workshop environment. FUMES- There are lots of pontentially bad thngs which can and will fume-out from a weld in progress... ventilate. ELECTRICAL- Make sure the unit is wired properly and has the necessary grounds. (This could overlap the fire issue) WELD FAILURE- Probably not quite as common, but some welds can cause death, injury, or property damage if they fail. Often it's not so obvious whether or not they are "critical welds". This will be very much an issue if you try critical welds with a small mig. Migs in general are more capable of producing welds which visibly look sound, but are inferior. This is why gmaw are not prequalified for certain parameters. They must prove themselves for a each application. HIGH PRESSURE INERT GAS TANKS- If you get into using/storing these they have safety issues which basically focus on keeping the gas under control or inside the tank. Potential injury from high pressure release and asphisiation from oxygen displacement are a couple biggies to consider. PROTECTIVER GEAR- You will need to protect yourself from potential injury. Eye protection, face protection, skin protection. Consider all the aspects of welding including cutting, bending, pounding, arc rays, etc. Take a short class on the basics if you have it availible near you. You'll learn some stuff to give some foundation for the hands-on experience yet to come. Enjoy and be safe!

Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-30-2004 01:38
Great point, safety is an area that requires our greatest subconsious and consious efforts. Hazards are everywhere.
Thanks,
pjseaman
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / have a welding question