Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Dodge Dashboard
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-28-2013 13:10 Edited 03-28-2013 13:16
Finally!! The "Ram Tough" dash started cracking around two years ago in January. By May I could rappel into the cavern created. I bought a replacement dash from LMC truck and it has set in the office since, ohhh, around last January?? :lol::lol:

Have seen threads elsewhere of others replacing the dash pad, all day, having to cob things together(?) to get it to fit right, alter things and so on were stories I've heard. I waited for a time where I had nothing pressing going on. Well, yesterday came and I decided that I wanted nothing to do with fabricating, welding or contractors, being a mechanic on the other hand sounded like fun!! Yes, I was shocked at myself that I was enthusiastic about cranking wrenches again.

Started around 2:30, figured I had nothing going on for the next few days so if there were any issues I could handle them without being rushed. By 3:00 I had the old dash pad removed, dash assembly disconnected and rolled back. Spent 15 mintues cleaning years of dust off the inside of the dash with one hand while talking with one friend on the phone with the other. Once cleaned I popped in the new dash pad and got all the screw holes lined up then installed all of the front panel screws. Another phone call and speaker phone while I installed the defrost vent screws and mounting bracket screws on the back between the window. Pop dash back up, threw in screws to secure to the firewall, put steering comlumn back up and replaced the trim. 4 o'clock and spraying McGuires protectant on my new dash, new air freshener and complete.

No real issues, LMC dash replacement fit like a glove. The bezel around the gauges and heater/ac controls/radio has a small crack in it but I'm not spending $180 for that. Now I don't have to look thru my windshield and see the grand canyon replica, no more turning corners in the morning and watching my sunglasses falling into the abyss. Unfortunately though with the new dash I have now lost my convenient storage area for my otterbox case! Climb in the truck, clip into a broken piece of plastic hanging on what should be the dash. Think I'll be alright with that though, everytime I walk by the truck now I look at the dash and smile.

As far as doing it, easy peasy. Patience with some of the screws but pulling the dash or removing the windshield as one guy said he was going to do is overkill.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-28-2013 23:00
looks good Shawn! I like your gauge pod on the A pillar as well. I had to do some wrenching on my sons car last weekend. It was fun but not fun enough to ever want to do it full time again!!!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-29-2013 00:01
Your right there! It was fun while it lasted but no way I'm heading back to the dealership!

I used to have the pod on the dash but didn't really care for it. Went with the A pillar and it's pretty good except for the already existing blind spot supplied by Dodge with the A pillar. Add the pod and it's bigger!
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 03-29-2013 04:44
I have the same gauges in my 01. I tried to get them for my 05 but not available.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-29-2013 14:46
If you got Dipricol I wouldn't look hard for them. EGR gauge took a dumper after a year and a half, just quit working. Boost still works and fuel pressure gauge is ify. I'll never own the Dipricol again. I like them because they match the factory gauges pretty well but good lighting -vs- not working? LOL! Think I'm going to go with some white face LED type next. Luckily my Adrenaline has electronic fuel/egr on it but like to have the mechanical backup, especially on a Dodge. The only issue that is always around in the 8 years I've owned this truck has been fuel pressure.
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 03-29-2013 20:24
Wow, not a minute trouble in 6 years, fuel,boost,egt.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 04-02-2013 00:18
What year dodge I have a radio bezel illvsell it wont fit my Chevy and its nit cr cracked
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-05-2013 13:49
It's an '02 but it's got one small crack in it and ain't worth spending money on. The grand canyon is fixed and gone so thats the biggest concern. Put it out on one of those dodge websites, I'm sure you can sell it as this dash problem is like buttholes.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Dodge Dashboard