Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME -VS- API
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-29-2013 15:13
Getting ready to go do my ASME B31.1 test so I can have my own "papers".

Talking with the lab, guy is slick as greased owl poop (thanks Tommy! LOL!!) While chatting we talk about interpass temps, preheat, etc., etc. So I got to thinking. If I'm using an standard carbon steel pipe, say an A53. During my test I will have to wait for the pipe to cool down, no more than 350 degrees is what he told me. So, weld, check the temp, make sure its not above the maximum temperature so it does not "change the structure" of the material as we discussed. Sounds logical. Then as we are talking I stopped him and said, "wait a minute, API says a maximum of 5 minutes between passes??" He said, yes.

Ok??? If you take a X42-52 pipe, essentially the same thing as an A53 correct? On the API side your blowing thru as fast as possible and using the biggest baseball bat you can fit in a stinger to do it because that is what they want.(?) Where in ASME your putting in a pass, standing back and b.s'ing while your pipe cools before you put in the other pass but not to exceed a maximum number. Now they tell me it is so we do not change the "microstructure" of the steel but I guess I'm confused as to why the same type of pipe has two completely different standards. One concerned about the breakdown of the steel and the other, well, not so much??

I guess the other thing is the lab wants to connect a meter to my machine, monitor amperage, humidity that day, whether any ducks flew overhead while I was welding and the color of my beannie. Where API they say, what amperage you running, between 90-110 of course but that's it, no meter or nothing.

So, all of you 'perienced experts out there, educate me! I keep looking thru the multitude of information in API and ASME and probably have not figure it out or found it but was something that popped into my head the other day.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-29-2013 15:22
Shawn, just remember...

What pops in, must pop out.  Just give it time, it won't bother you any more.  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-29-2013 23:20
WHOAH  wait a minute...thanks tommy.    UHG   I hold neither a CWI or a CWE card despite popular convention and rumor.  Oh wait .....you mean the greased owl s**T comment....oh yea use that at will bro.   CARRY ON   BTW I got the same question.....microstructure my azz it is the same stuff!!   One has x amount of money leaning on the weld and the other has xxx amount VS> there income rate.   That is what determines how you spend money on insurance......the certs are just a form of the former, that is all.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-30-2013 00:01
Yeah, the greased owl dookie comment! :lol::lol:

Seems I've asked a question with a stump in it!! :lol::lol:
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-30-2013 00:10
With a doctorate in welding engineering from Texas A&M my instructor at the AWS CWI seminar told me "You can drive a truck through the API code."
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-30-2013 02:20 Edited 03-30-2013 07:44
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  letssee what does the api stand for uhhh American Petrole..........something like that.   Draw ur own conclusions.

I did not finish the name because they have more money then the Catholic Church.....I don't want a hit put out on me thank you very much.

Shawn I love ya to death and I will salute your body going in the dirt.....your doomed you just pointed out the obvious fact of BS in front of God and everyone else....a hit squad is on there way to you now....take a couple out with that crossbow before they get you...that would be super cool.

If I live through this thread I will certainly stand at your dirt house and keep my arm and body at full salute until eveyrbody leaves.......I will not give the spooks a chance to dig up ur bones either bro!  you rock
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-30-2013 11:56
Pointed it out, called them out, whatever. Hit squad coming to my house, they better be ready!! One things for certain, come to finish me off make sure I'm good and dead, that's all I'll say about that.

I thought for sure by now I would have had a scientific or reasonable answer. I'll go as far as saying, since the hit squad is already coming that the ASME code sounds like the code that does it correctly, scientifically speaking, metallurgically, etc., but I'm not a scientist, metallurgist either. API sounds a little like modified FC2002.  Born out of the oil field to fit their needs, or if I may borrow a quote, "quick and dirty" = maximum profit.

Perhaps the x42-52 is made up of slightly different material that allows this where the A53 is not? Again, I'm no metallurgist but wanting to give plenty of opportunity for an explanation, an education of me but so far nothing. I guess I could simply look at the two codes. API books stacked next to ASME books. ASME stacked looks like the Burj Khalifa building in Dubai, the API code, well, is kinda like your local autoparts store.

Just calling it how I see it boys, as I said, if I'm missing something educate me as I am willing to learn.
Parent - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 03-30-2013 12:19 Edited 03-30-2013 12:31
I'm by no means an expert, from what I've seen, studied(in school) ASME code welding usually has higher temps and psi running through it as compared to API.
So in my opinion post heat, pre heat and interpass temps are very critical for not changing microstructure so as to avoid catastrophic failure i.e. big boom.
"quick & dirty" with low temps and psi, catastrophic failure is not so big.
A lot of heat and then rapidly cooling(quench in oil, water) makes the mat'l harder and more brittle because you have increased the carbon content of the mat'l.
the higher the carbon content the harder the mat'l the harder it is to weld.

hope that might make more sense to you
if it doesnt pm me
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-30-2013 15:38
Your instructor is wrong. You can beat a contractor or a pipeline operator to death with API. See what PHMSA does with pipeline operators using those same documents your instructor said a truck can be driven through. You can fly a 747 though ASME (Always, Sometime, Maybe, Except).
Everyone looks at 1104 as a stand alone document. Put B31.4, 31.8 along with CFR's 192 and 195 along with all the supporting required documentation for the project and pound for pound API will equal ASME.
But that does not make any difference. They are different documents that cover different services.
And for all the bluster and bombast the number one failure cause on pipeline is NOT welding failures, it is third party damage, and second is corrosion. In refining service, it is corrosion.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-30-2013 14:37
While A53 and X42/52 have the same P-No., the A53 is a lower strength material. It is not sensitive to maximum interpass temp, so I don't understand why the owl poop guy wants to hold it below 350°F. A 600°F max interpass temp is fine for the A53 and X42/52 both.  The X42/52 is usually welded with non-low hydrogen rods and is a higher strength material, so it makes sense to keep it hot to avoid hydrogen cracking.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-30-2013 15:22
You are comparing apples to apple trees. You do not test to B31.1 you test to ASME Section IX.
API 1104 is a Standard. ASME Section IX is the welding and qualification section of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. Like 1104 Section IX is not a stand along code, as BPV is the code, Section IX is just a part of it.
The "Code" for pipelines is ASME B31.4 (49 CFR Part 195) for liquid pipelines and ASEM B31.8 (49 CFR Part 192) for natural gas pipeline. Reading B31.4 and .8 you will see the pipeline owner has the option of testing the welders to either ASME Section IX OR API 1104. That is the pipeline owners option, not the welders, inspectors or pipeline contractors. And if the pipeline operator decides to use 1104 they are required to follow the procedures set out in the standard for qualifying procedures and welders. If for some reason they decide to follow Section IX they have to follow the procedure and welder qualifications set out in that document. What ever document they use they are required to follow the accept/reject criteria of that document. You cannot use 1104 with ASME Section V accept/reject criteria.
If you are testing on 16 inch API 5LX60 0.375 for a cross country pipeline there are different welding issues than if you are welding on a P1  Sch. 80 carbon steel material that will be in a 300 degree service. Yes they are both carbon steel moving liquids but the SERVICE is different.
If you are testing so you can have your own "papers" the inspector conducting the test should have a welding procedure and procedure qualification that will address the interpass temp, time between passes, cleaning process and all essential and non essential variables that YOU have given him. You cannot have the tester pull a welding procedure out of his file cabinet or body orifice and qualify you to it. That procedure is only good for the company that wrote and only for their welders. If all you are doing is making a weld to have the person witness the test and test the coupons, then you should have saved you the time and aggravation and just made up your own form, made a weld, take it to a x ray company, have them radiograph it and tell them to grade it to, 1104, ASME, what ever it takes to pass. Doing that will make your "papers" just as legit.
I give you credit though, you are at least trying to do it right. Better than the pencil whipped forms I have seen over the years.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-30-2013 17:07 Edited 03-30-2013 20:48
Thanks for the reply Kahunna. I get what your saying, a mainline near my house is running 750 psi but not at 300 degrees where a line in a factory somewhere trucking 300 degree water all day long and all night at 750 psi will have different effects.

As far as the "papers" go I know how it is supposed to be in the code world. I have several guys I talk to in this area and others and we live in the real world. When somebody around here calls and says they have "carbon steel pipe" usually the extent of their knowledge on that pipe other than the obvious...it's round, about 21 feet long and has x diameter. Typically a chiller system, oil seperator, water line of some sort, basic run of the mill stuff. These folks read somewhere that they needed a certified welder or they have heard of the mythical demi-god creature with the gold plated "rig" truck that is a "certified welder". Regardless of how they have found out they ask when you get on the jobsite, "are you certified to weld pipe? structural?" That's usually as far as it goes because they think one paper is the coverall do all, stainless, aluminum, carbon and anything else.

I understand where your coming from as far as having papers written and agree. However, in the real world of chiller pipe, heat, oil seperators they want you to be "ceritified"(to what code they have no clue) and do not want to hear that it will cost them a small fortune to have a wps written to cover this job so it can be tested to. My reasoning for testing and procedures is to cover these bases, if they cannot provide me with more detail on what they actually want me certified to. A test on a SA-105, 2" schedule 80 carbon steel will cover pretty much all of my "certified welder" guys that are clueless and want to see papers. If they want to see them it will have ASME on there some place and numbers and pictures that they will get lost in. Next main reason, a phone number on that same piece of paper if they want to call.

A contractor I worked for said he has seen several guys come out and when asked to produce paperwork they either have it or don't. He said he learned to call about them as guys will make fakes. He told me he called on one guy and they never heard of the dude. He then said me made some official looking envelope with legal mumbo jumbo all in it about the guys fabricated paperwork from the main client. Gave it to the guy one morning before he started work, told him the client gave it to him to deliver to the welder. He told me he watched the guy read this "official" paperwork and guy started sweating. The project manager let him sweat for a few minutes then told him it was all b.s but that his paperwork was only useful as toilet paper as the CWI never heard of the guy. Then broke the news to the welder, get off my job. I liked working for this guy overall.

I get what your saying about the API -vs- ASME though and have seen several other publications, API 510, 530, 534, 573, 653, 751, 2015, 2201 and so much more, a lot more there than just 1104 as you said. Also clicked about the different service environments, makes sense.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 04-24-2013 15:22
Hi Cumminsguy71

Spent a lot of time reading this thread, and seen a lot of points (and rants) made, so thought I would add my 2c worth. First off, to answer your "technical" question regards the difference between requirements in B31.1 (ASME IX welding code) and API. (I assume 1104)

I suspect that the facts are being confused with the normal practice. First off, there is no maximum interpass temperature requirement of 350F for C-Mn steel in ASME IX. ASME IX requires that you meet certain mechanical properties, and that you then record certain variables while doing your test welds. Based on acceptable test results, you then have certain ranges over which you can apply the relevant variables. If the test coupon was welded with a 600F interpass temperature, and it passed the mechanical tests, then no problem using such high values during production welding. (By the way, increased interpass temperature is only a supplementary essential variable in ASME IX, so only applicable for impact test applications.) Possibly the WPS you had to use for the "lab test" had this as a requirement, but that does not mean that it is some global value. This value is merely what was asked for on that particular WPS. High interpass temperatures typically result in lower strength welds with lower impact toughness than welds with lower interpass temperatures, for your standard C-Mn steels. (Within limits.) Also, the maximum time interval between runs for API is not a global value. It is a requirement under certain circumstances. In particular, when depositing root runs with cellulosic electrodes, the hot pass needs to be deposited to aid in driving off the hydrogen before the root run cracks due to "cold cracking". In API this interval is an essential variable, whereas it is not an essential variable in ASME IX, because welding to ASME IX is not geared towards this type of high productivity welding where cellulosic electrodes are used.

The bottom line is that you will find many different WPS's out there for welding exactly the same materials, with exactly the same fillers and processes, but have different variable ranges. This is the nature of the code qualification process, not a law of nature.

Now, regarding the whole issue of "Getting your own papers": While ASME IX has very strict rules for getting "portability" of WPQ's between fabricators, the referencing codes such as B31.3 and B31.1 have clauses in them that "over-rule" the ASME IX requirements. Let me give you the clause out of B31.1:

127.5.3 Qualification Responsibility
(B) Welders and Welding Operators. Each employer
shall be responsible for qualifying all the welders and
welding operators employed by him/her.
However, to avoid duplication of effort, he/she may
accept a Welder/Welding Operator Performance
Qualification (WPQ) made by a previous employer (sub-
ject to the approval of the owner or his/her agent) on
piping using the same or an equivalent procedure
wherein the essential variables are within the limits
established in Section IX, ASME Boiler and Pressure
Vessel Code. An employer accepting such qualification
tests by a previous employer shall obtain a copy of the
original WPQ, showing the name of the employer by
whom the welders or welding operators were qualified,
the dates of such qualification, and evidence that the
welder or welding operator has maintained qualification
in accordance with QW-322 of Section IX, ASME Boiler
and Pressure Vessel Code. The evidence of process usage
to maintain continuity may be obtained from employers
other than the original qualifying employer. The
employer shall then prepare and sign the record required
in para. 127.6 accepting responsibility for the ability of
the welder or welding operator.

So, you can certainly use your "lab" WPQ, as long as the conditions given above are met. Basically this means that you need to make sure that you keep your WPQ current by getting it signed up at least every 6 months, although actually by every fabricator you work for, if less than 6 months, as that fabricator should actually make a copy of the WPQ to keep for his records. Obviously this assumes that the fabricator actually has the right WPS available to do the job, but that is another issue altogether!

I think that in the new "smaller, connected" world we live in, where we need to get smarter and more productive, migration of welder qualifications will become a norm, once adequate electronic systems are available for this purpose. Let's face it, most of the qualifications that welders do, are just duplicates of tests they have done many times before. A centralised system where qualifications can be stored, and welder qualifications re-validated, and where welder performance can be tracked is much more productive, and will discourage "fly-by-night" types who would not be able to pass a test in any case. I know that there are people making money from all these re-qualifications, so there will be resistance to changing this practice, but the real cost to society is not the "small potatoes" money being made by these people, but rather the time and effort wasted by a whole bunch of people organising these tests and performing these tests, while projects and production facilities are standing.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-24-2013 17:27
Thanks Niekie! Good reading!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-30-2013 21:04 Edited 03-31-2013 04:08
Call me stupid if you want, but I was under the impression that if the welder is testing to API 1104 he had to test to the contractor's qualified WPS.

Likewise, if testing to Section IX, the welder has to follow the contractor's qualified WPS or SWPS and the company (employer) has to have a representative present during the test.

This is one of the many problems I have with testing welders at a "lab." All too often the lab fails to comply with the appropriate welding standard or code. The situation doesn't get any better just because the welder uses an AWS ATF.

As for being a metallurgist, this character providing insight to the welder has a wooden leg and I hate to say this, but it is on fire. Changing the "structure of the material"? You are absolutely right, you are changing the structure, it is called "melting"!

As for preheat, interpass temperature, time between weld beads, that is suppose to be defined by the WPS you are following when you weld the test coupons. Again, the WPS is suppose to be provided by the welder's employer, not the lab.

Al
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-31-2013 00:50
Guys,
Two things spring to mind and I stress they are purely personal opinions.
API 1104 is a lot less stringent than ASME B31.3 based on a variety of reasons but I believe the most important is dirt - thousands of pounds of dirt !
A buried pipeline can run for hundreds of miles carrying oil - fabricated in accordance with API 1104 and the minute that pipe breaks the surface the first welded joint (or flanged joint) changes to ASME B31.3 where it penetrates the refinery fence. Same product, same pressure, similar material (API 5L changed to A106 Gr B) - only difference is the amount of cover (dirt) on the buried pipe.
That is why they have a "Right of Way" on a pipeline which is basically an exclusion zone above and beside a buried pipeline so nobody can build a house on top of it.
Refineries do not have the luxury of protective cover around the pipe as people have to work in close proximity to the pressurised pipe so the fabrication standards and acceptance criterias are increased.
Damage from an exploding pipe is going to be significantly less if it is "dampened" by thousands of pounds of dirt.

Shawn,
Be very careful with the "certified" papers - especially to ASME.
The reason the employer is asking for "certification" is so if the brown stuff hits the fan he is supposedly covered.Only problem, when it ends up in court and the prosecution calls Al Moore as an expert witness it takes 5 minutes to determine the welder is not actually certified and the welder and employer are then knee deep in brown stuff,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-31-2013 13:36
I get what you and Al are saying but if it is like this and the owner, client, head cheese is supposed to supply the wps, etc., then apparently the AWS, ASME and API or somebody is not doing their job policing and enforcing it. As I RARELY run across anybody, (A) that has a clue (B) wants me to test to their qualifications on a particular job, qualifications when asked they get the deer in the headlight look.

As I said, real world and code world are two different things. I'm out here to do the job right, try and make chump change while doing it and my job is not to police contractors, essentially cut my own throat. People out there want it done in a certain way or want to be code police then start with the large contractors, use your money. I'm willing to test for jobs according to their "code" but as I said, 95% are clueless. I worked a job once. All welded uphill, looked good. They (contractor) screwed up. They had their pipefitter come in, change around bunch of 6 inch that was routed wrong(because of their hourly fitter...oh, excuse me electrician...or was he a fitter???). He then proceeded to weld it back together with a Lincoln "Home Depot" 135 wire welder. They called me later, had me come out to put on a weld -o- let. Job boss asked what I thought about the guys welds, I told him they were atrocious. Looked like tree warts. They then screwed me out of $7000. I called the codes department in the town they did the building in. Guess what, he tells me, "they're supposed to have a third party inspection on that pipe". No way in God's Universe would the welds this guy put down pass, never. I don't think anything was ever done about the tree wart welds. The town inspector probably "looked into it" until his pocket was lined or something.

Sounds to me like the system does not work. To much dependence on contractors to do the right thing, heck, 30% of the time they cannot be depended upon to actually pay their small subs let alone care about what code it was welded to. If everything I am doing, millions in insurance, wasted money on papers, tests is all for not then why even bother? Just sell my truck, throw a mig in my little car and go with it. No taxes on tools I've already paid taxes on, no taxes on income, no insurance bills or any of that non essential stuff. I know several that do it near me, make better money than me. If I'm trying to do it right and I'll just end up in jail because of Al then what is the sense in it? If not for guys like me trying to to it the right way hacks would run amuck, how many jobs have I done the right way and kept the guy off the chill pipe job that just "butts the two ends together and runs a single pass" or the guy out of the church welding gas pipe that "is only 2 psi". Regardless of pressure, location or content my welds are taken seriously.

Another job not worth doing. Try to do things right and the only people that succeed are the shytebirds and hacks, scammers, b.s'ers and the like while the experts in the "code world" sit up on their high horses making rules that they have no way to enforce.

Not mad at you or Al, just venting I guess. The "Code people" relying on contractors to do the ethical thing, when money is involved the ethical thing is whatever saves them a buck. When a guy like me comes along and gets his own wps, tests to them for a certain p material to have something that proves that yes, he has tested to XXX code, passed with flying colors and yet is made out to be the bad guy and thrown in the same pool as the hack who has nothing at all.

I have to say, honestly, this has to be one of THE most f'd up, unregulated screwy arse industries in the world, or at least in this country. If the contractor is supposed to relay to me what code then apparently AWS, ASME and API have not enlightened them as to the importance of this or if they have the contractors don't care. The only jobs I've been on where they called out a code have been for the places I weld gas pipe. API and that's becaue they get audited every year. Everybody else is "certified welder". They don't know what it means and frankly, on my measley income compared to AWS, ASME and API folks it's not my job to inform or educate them. Now, I can dig thru prints and see if the engineer actually calls out any type of code but when it comes to chill piping around here I'm lucky I have got the little squiggly lines on the prints, let alone actual code that it is supposed to be welded to. If I find the code then I can inform them of the "correct way" to go about having me "certified" on their job where they will tell me that they no longer need my services, call the next guy and that will be it. In the real world they don't want to hear that they must go have their own procedures written for this job, test welders to these procedures for this particular job before they can start putting in  "just a water line".

I wonder, have the folks that run AWS, ASME and API been in the real world? Honestly, have they worked the jobs like I have to work with the contractors MOST guys in this industry have to work with or have they been hand coddled in "strict code environments" for their whole career? In the correct world every mechanic puts back every single bolt and it is put in place properly, threaded correctly and then torqued properly. In the real world we have what is know as "frodis" bolts or screws, I've seen guys put engine mounts on in difficult places and get it cross threaded. A 1/2" air impact and it was run up and torqued to German torque. His quote on the cross threading, "cross threading is better than locktite". Correct world and real world.

I'm trying to work in "Correct World" but the reality is, I live in a real world. If I'm trying to get some sort of paperwork for a carbon steel, according to ASME and I'm still going to be branded as the bad guy then why bother with it at all. I really appreciate all the opinions and guys on here and respect as well but sometimes I wonder if you guys have been out of the real world for to long? I've got my AWS paperwork, but apparently they don't mean squat in code world when I go work for any contractor who needs an AWS welder certified on carbon steel. I know my API stuff is in order as they are the same procedures as the places I work for.

Trying to do it right but learning it's becoming a Not worth trying situation. I talk to a bunch of other guys, local and abroad and we all talk about this same type of stuff so this is not just my opinion on the "Code World", "Real World", guess I'm just one to bring it out into the open without worries of any goon squads heading to my house. LOL!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-31-2013 15:48
Okay, Come on Shawn.  I've sat back and followed this without posting because ASME and API are not really my specialties.  I'm a structural guy though I have welded to ASME and API on many occassions.  I thought you were having a quantry moment that would pass with a little time and reason to get you back on track. 

Now, you know as well as I or anyone else here that there are always fly-by-night, shade tree mechanics/welders, wanna-be's, that will cut any and all corners to make as much as possible off the job and make themselves look good because they got the job done so much faster than those other guys (the ones who follow all the rules and take care to make sure all is right in codeland).  But, every code has different perspectives.  There are good reasons pipe codes are different than structural codes and pressure pipe is different than flowing pipe.  So many things have been taken into account.  I will admit, some codes could use some changes.  They appear to be behind the times and/or allow for procedures that many of us have a hard time swallowing.  But, different applications with different research and usage records to justify the procedures as regulated by the applicable code are there for the protection of everyone: customer, General Contractor, Fabricator, Welder, but most importantly- the PUBLIC. 

BUT, who is the last man standing when something does go wrong, which has happened plenty often of late in refineries, on pipelines, buildings collapsing, cranes toppling, etc?  When the police knock on the door with crimminal warrants issued because it was found contractors had cut corners and you are in court 20 years from now how ridiculous are these arguements going to look from the witness box?  The 'Real World' versus 'Code World' is not the argument!  The question is, can you stand before the Judge of ALL the Earth and truly say, I did everything I could to the best of my ability and knowledge to follow all the applicable codes and protect human life as well as give the customer the best possible product for his money. 

There is no 'Real World' or 'Code World' question.  There are 'CHEATS, THIEVES, and MURDERERS' and there are 'HONEST CRAFTSMEN, CONTRACTORS'.  You have to decide which side of the line you stand on.  Which side of the legal courtroom you will be sitting on.  What answer you are going to give WHEN people die (not 'IF'). 

You may be able to say, none of my work has ever failed.  And I say 'YET'.  You may not live long enough to see it fail.  But that doesn't mean you did it right and to the best of your ability and honestly made your living from this honorable profession. 

Don't fall into the trap of pitting inspectors against fabricators, code against 'reality', etc.  The battle is right against wrong.  The battle is greed against honesty.  The battle is self against righteousness. 

Do right Shawn. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-31-2013 16:06
I'm not going to do it wrong, if that's what they want I'll come home and watch the cooking channel. :lol::lol:
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-31-2013 16:06
You do not have to worry about a goon squad coming after you. See, these groups work by consensuses so by the time they get together, have a meeting on what size of baseball bat's and the voting that will have to go on and then you have the wood side vs. the aluminum side then they agree they will use a wood bat, then you have the kneecap side vs. the smack you in the back of the head bunch. You are looking at 2 years just to get agreement they will come after you with a wooden bat and kneecap you. Then you start all over on who they will send after you. It could take 6 years to decide to get someone to come after you. Then they have to get the company members to agree to pay the goons to come out an kneecap you. Yea, good luck on that.
These groups represent their industry members. It is up to the industry to police itself. If a member company agrees it will adopt the use of ASME, API, AWS, etc it is up to that company to see the rules are followed. The only enforcement will come from the company when they discover the rules are not followed. When OSHA, PHMSA, EPA or the myriad of federal and state regulators come out of the woodwork when a failure occurs. And regardless of what the company people tell you, the regulators will not be after one individual welder or inspector. They may drag you into deposition but when it gets to that level, little ole you are pretty much off the hook.
What is comes down to is how you feel about doing it right. Is for the $$$, then what the heck. Do the best you can and go on. There are a lot of individuals and companies that know how to do their work right. They just do not. What can you do. You have two choices, do it the way they want, or move on.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-31-2013 17:55
hahahaha  Kahunna.   I was just trying to inject some humor...you did it way better.

I do agree with Shawn on how screwed up it gets.  85% of the time I ask to be put in touch with the engineer to clarify the mud.  50% of the time they cannot do so without being led by the nose to the water trough.  99% of the time the contractors are clueless about the job they are on.  RECENT example:  This is an AISC job on a federally funded project....who is your inspector, where is your spec book.  We have went through the specs, there is no inspection..?!?!  Ummm Ya there is going to be some, I would like to speak with him and the engineer before we start...(really bad fits).  There ain't no inspection lets get this welded up now, we are behind.  The code is clear, the quals are not however, unlimited certs should cover the bases....grrrrrrrrr.  The best you may get on the paperwork is welder shall be certified D1.1 with 70xx electrodes, no positions, no thickness ranges nothing.  Ok carry on.  Well three weeks later the guy comes to look it all over for doing the UT,  He looked at my papers and a few welds and said not worried about this guy.....yea well.  I have been on at least a dozen jobs in the last year that SHOULD have third party inspection, nada.  I could send these guys a cert that said I could chew bubblegum and pack it in the joint as long as the Easter Bunny was on my shoulder watching and they would NEVER know the difference.  If I sat and waited for a company to pop up with thier ducks in a row or even the willingness to listen and get it straight....I would be on the street with a sign (will weld for food).  I got no problems with inspection of my work, if you can talk to the guy beforehand and clear up any questions is almost always goes smoothly. 

As far as the most of the world out there is concerned:  Certified Welder means that you went through the buds school of welding and you can weld on the space shuttle or a plastic coke bottle....everything you do will be perfect and you are all knowing.  You are just a step below a brain surgeon or something.....it is ridiculous.  Sorry for the double down on rant...it is really frustrating....part of the game I just could do without.

Carry on, I am getting some insight on this thread.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-31-2013 21:58
Yep, you pretty much said what I am thinking. Easter bunny, chewing bubble gum, you got that cert too?? LOL!!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2013 16:27 Edited 03-31-2013 20:34
OK, so now that you have vented your frustrations, I hope you can sit down, collect your thoughts, and think straight again.

As for the “Real World”; you have to be honest with yourself before you can carry on an honest conversation. The real world in which codes and standards are ignored are ticking time bombs that end up costing everyone huge sums of money because the natural reaction of politicians is to develop “new rules to ensure this will not happen again.” The truth of the matter is that the majority of catastrophic mishaps involve the congruence of events where the entities involved did not do their job and did not meet the requirements of the existing legal statutes, codes, or drawings.   

The organizations such as API, ASME, NFPA, and AWS are not charged with policing the work performed by various contractors or engineering firms. They do not check the welder’s qualifications or whether the contractor had WPSs on the job site. The contractor is responsible to meet the applicable statues, codes, drawings, etc. Many codes do not obligate the Owner to provide verification inspection (some ASME piping codes are the exception). The responsible Owner will retain the services of an engineering firm for the purpose of design and to ensure the work is completed properly. Each municipality that has adopted a building code has someone that is entrusted to check the work performed by the contractor is per the applicable code, but in many cases they are not experts in every construction discipline. They depend on the engineer retained by the Owner to provide the oversight necessary to comply with the appropriate building code or statute that has jurisdiction over the project.

You have heard it from me before, 10% of those in any profession are experts that excel at what they do, 80% do an adequate job, and 10% should be doing something else. Usually the lower 10% get fired, run off the job, or put out of business.

Do you own a truck that has to meet federal requirements for hazardous materials, driver rest periods, etc.? Why do you follow the rules? Fear of risk! You do what is required to minimize risk. You do not want to risk getting caught and incur the fines and penalties that are assessed when you do get caught.

How does our system function? FEAR! Fear of being sued and fear of huge judgments that can put a company out of business! Some companies look at penalties as a cost of doing business, but that is very short sighted and they do not stay in business very long.

Construction is very high risk venture. As a result, it is very expensive to purchase insurance and bonds. New companies are started every day and everyday a certain percentage is going to go belly up for any number of reasons. The reasons for going out of business are many, but common reasons include being sued, bad business decisions such as growing too fast, running out of cash, failure to secure the necessary insurance or performance bonds. For a very few, construction offers good returns on their investment and for many others it is a quick trip to the poor house. Some companies are revived under new ownership and some companies simply put themselves out of their misery and fold up their tent to do something else with their time.

Construction involves risk. Those companies that thrive usually do everything in their power to reduce risk. They take steps to minimize risk and financial ruin. They chose their projects carefully so not to overextend their resources or capability. They do things right the first time. They construct things as per the approved drawings, they meet the requirements of the applicable statutes, they do the best they can to build a reputation for doing things right. They work with reputable contractors and owners that mitigate risk. They recognize their limitations and hire reputable experts to help them when they do not have the expertise in-house. They shun those projects that are high risk and where there is a high probability of failure.

Those individuals that think they can outsmart the system do get away with their shenanigans for a while. Shoddy workmanship, late delivery, use of substandard materials, etc. serves as the basis of their acquired reputation. If their reputation is bad, their client list usually consists of the bad actors as well. Ultimately, the brown stuff hits the fan and everyone suffers the consequence. When I say everyone, I mean everyone, including the building official that didn’t do his job.

The "real world"; it is a cruel place where the smart ones survive and the others usually do not survive for long. It is a case of Darwin at work.

People that have been wronged hire experts and lawyers to recoup their loses. The Hired Guns understand the real world all too well. They are the tracker that looks for signs and interpret those signs to the benefit of their client. They are the abattoir that put the malicious or suffering contractor out of their misery. It a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Happy Easter. Don't eat the brown ones, they may not be candy!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-31-2013 17:38
:grin::grin:

Happy Easter back Al!
Parent - By Jacob Reverb Date 04-24-2013 00:01
"cross threading is better than locktite"

I don't care who ya are, that right there is FUNNY!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2013 21:52
Many of us can recall instances where the “system” failed in one way or another. As I wrote previously; major catastrophes are usually the result of many small things going wrong at the same time. There can be a cascading effect where the smallest detail causes something else to go wrong, while at the same time another small detail is missed and it affects something else.

I believe we all play an important part in any project. It does not matter whether the project is a simple hand rail or a multi-million dollar structure, we have accepted responsibility for the work we do when we accept the paycheck. It is our responsibility to do the work to the best of our ability. If we have a question about how the work is to be done, we have a responsibility to ask someone that has the authority and ability to answer the question.

The system works when everyone does his part. Everyone suffers the consequences when one or more players decide they do not need to work within the framework of the applicable code.

For those jobs that went poorly, there are usually several jobs where things went as planned. We tend to forget all the jobs that were completed without problems.

My personal perspective is that I weed out the bad customers and concentrate my efforts on the good customers. 90% of the problems can be attributed to 10% of the customers. They are the 10% you have to eliminate. I cannot attribute that approach as being originated by me. I read it somewhere and it seems to make sense. The book also made the recommendation that you fire that 10% of your customer base that causes most of the headaches. That's an interesting thought.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-01-2013 00:39 Edited 04-01-2013 00:57
Al,

If we stood fast to what we KNOW should be done on paper, most of us would be unemployed.  What Shawn said, leaving this **** up to the honor system is not working.  Maybe there needs to be some investigation and verification by qualifying authorities before they give that blessing to some contractor....something besides pay your membership fee!@!!!  AISC is a joke btw because of that reason.......they always refer to other entities to get thier code to use.   NOBODY verifies these so called professionals are doing jack.....not that way in most other trades...why is it that way with welding>? 

I guess I am just a welder and you can tell I am one but you cannot tell me much.  Why because I am stupid?  Electromagnetic exposure has made me stupid....or maybe because I got a pair and I am not scared to call BS>?   I am done with this subject because it seems endless....it is beyond my meager influence and I just must accept it or walk away....hmmmmm.  OK then.

Lets just play by Darwins rules!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2013 02:13 Edited 04-01-2013 02:15
It has nothing to do with being smart or stupid.

You are the craftsman plying your skills. You, in many cases, call the shots if you stick to your guns and do what is correct and proper. 

You are the contractor; you are responsible for the work you do. There is no one else to point the finger at if something is wrong and it is discovered the work is not up to code.

If you want to take unnecessary risks and gamble with your business and financial wellbeing there are few people to step in and tell you not to jump over the cliff. There is no suicide hot line for contractors. 

When I was mentoring young welders I told them that at the end of the day it isn't the foreman that is going to get fired because the welds are rejected. It isn't the foreman that is going to get the reputation of being a half-assed welder when the inspector does not accept the welds. I taught them the correct way of doing things and it was up to them to do it properly or do be a half-assed welder and take short cuts just because the foreman was an idiot. I have worked for a few contractors from the bottom 10%. It never lasted because we soon parted ways. In the long run meeting the code paid off because it was rare that I was out of work for any duration. There were always contractors that wanted the work done properly the first time. They were not willing to gamble the inspector would not discover the short cuts. They knew it was a fool’s game to play. Whether the inspector was on the job or not, we did what was specified by the drawings and we followed the code. It paid dividends because we didn't have to go back a second time to repair what we just completed.   

It is no different now for the independent owner/operator.

I have never been in a discussion where I overheard an owner say, "I ran him off because he insisted in doing the right way."

It is entirely up to you to determine what type of welding contractor you are going to be. You and only you are responsible for your reputation. That reputation will precede you where ever you go. Are you known as a "ham and egger" that slaps it together and hit the next job or are you known as a skilled tradesman that knows how to do the work correctly and efficiently?

How many times have we read that some fly by night outfit screwed up the work and "we" had to go in cut out their work and redo everything? Do you really believe the Owner is going to call the first contractor back on the next job? Hell no, unless the Owner is a complete moron. The Owner is going to bring back the contractor that was called in to fix the work the first contractor screwed up. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-01-2013 13:12
Ok AL

I will tell you one thing for sure....I need to get better about walking away from the bad ones.  I have had some jobs that really pushed me to the edge of what I could live with.  Seen quite a few in the last year or so and have told a couple flat out I cannot work for you because your a lawsuit waiting to happen.   I have been run off for doing it right...but it sounds more like " He is too picky....primadonna...MR perfection etc."  They want one of those "ham and egger" guys...that will turn their head when it is AFU...."just nail it".   

Cheers
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2013 14:42
It is highly improbable that you will regret doing what your conscience or your gut tells you. Most of us can "read" a person pretty good by the time we reach adulthood. If it is feels wrong, it probably is. You save yourself a lot of worry when you walk away from those contractors that have little regard for the safety of their workers, their client, or the general public.

“Just make it stick” is a phrase that always perks my ears up. It is a red flag to be wary of what is coming next.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-06-2013 22:14
A wise man once taught me that "integrity" means doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. Words to live by at home and on the job.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-10-2013 05:35
Integrity also means walking away when those in authority over you have none. :grin::evil::cool:

BTw THIS THREAD HAS gotten far away from the subject matter. My Fault....let us let IT die.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME -VS- API