Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / moment welds
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-28-2013 01:45
You can actually torch out moment welds after the iron is connected and make decent bevels.   You have to have a really good die grinder and carbide rotary files but it can be done.:mad:
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 03-31-2013 23:44
you can really tell how well you did if they were shop welded with outershield and your going to reweld them with innershield.     if you missed any of the original filler metal you will know it when you try and weld over with the new filler.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-01-2013 00:22
No no cut outs here,  I would arc gouge that if allowed. 

naw it is just extremely amateur field fitting....unfortunately on a lot of them after i clean them up I am sure they are exceeding gap size by a LOT.  I am screaming to hear from engineer but nobody is listening....I have a feeling I must leave them to sit in their own excrement.  I am stamping and painting all my work...as I know they will bring in some jackass to finish up.   Just sad deal man....these guys pay quick and rairly ***** about the bill....now I am the bad guy cause they got in way over their heads.  I just am so pissed because I have saved them from doom on so many jobs....you cannot do this call the architect and engineer, we will make a plan and get it handled.  How many hours do I have in unpaid doing that......now I am a jackass?

One day I hope I am kicking it like you and working on that first 7 figure year.  Right now the growing pains and reality of dealing with companies is kicking me in the balls.  Thank you for the support tho.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 04-01-2013 01:02 Edited 04-01-2013 01:07
I feel your pain.   its very rare that I will erect iron that my shop didn't fab.     If it is then its strait time across the board at full field labor rates I always have to remind them that I have WAY cooler ways to loose money than busting my ass for them.     

I take it no 3rd party inspector to take the heat for mile wide fitups?

More money more problems, seven figure years bring six figure tax bills.    I would much rather have five 10K jobs in a week than one 50K job.     Your going through a period of being jaded,   some times you gotta step back and figure out I your need to find something else to venture into.   For me it was the fact that this is all I know how to do.    I could do something else im sure, but this is all I really formally know what to do.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-08-2013 00:28
That's kinda how I like it. After a few years I'm becoming a bit more picky about jobs, how much I want to make. Last year I turned away some work and did a lot of goofing off. Made enough to keep me happy, paid the bills and hoping I won't have to worry about paying in on taxes. As long as I'm making some profit I don't think there is any government b.s that says I can't regulate how much I make in a year so I don't have to worry about paying out the wazu in taxes! If work keeps going like it has been I figure around August I'll hang up my phone and take the rest of the year off. :lol::lol:
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / moment welds