Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder extension cord
- - By ddxmountain Date 04-16-2013 22:32
I have the desire to make myself an extension cord for my welder. 

But here's the thing, I don't just want it to be specific to the welder I currently own. I may want to change welders at some point in the future but ideally not have to change extension cords. 

I have been trying to piece together what kind of setup i need from reading different forums and I still don't quite feel satisfied.

I currently have a Lincoln electric AC/DC 225/125 "tombstone" welder.  I will be running it off a 50amp breaker. 

The plans that I have pieced together:
Between 25'-40' of 8 gauge SOOW power cable. With 50amp female and male plugs on either end.

Again, I have read that this should be safe for ANY 50 amp welder available. Is this the case? Or have I been misled?
Parent - - By handymanlondon Date 04-17-2013 05:35
I'm not sure if you are referring for SOOW 18/2  that have 10amps.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-17-2013 14:20
Why would they use a cord that would melt when you turned the machine on?  That is not even close to adequate.

More than likely the reference to 8 gauge is very close, but, not being an electrician and not having a chance to look up the recommendations for gauge at that length I have not bothered to comment thus far.  50 amps capacity should be ample power for that machine.  The question is the length and how it will carry current that far.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-17-2013 15:13 Edited 04-17-2013 17:46
Check with your local welding supply. I know a few around me carry a 25' extension cord already made up. If it's not set up with the right plug configuration then you read the package and find out what size cord it is, amperage rating and then build your own from Home Depot components. I've got a 10 gauge set up I use for my Tig and mig machine around the shop but its only 15-20 feet long. Never had an issue. Longer run, larger wire. Going with an 8 gauge would likely be enough but I'm not an electrician either so if something goes wrong that's my disclaimer.

Here's a few links that would give you an idea,

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-c-d-c/332632-wire-size-whos-right.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_wire_size_will_carry_50_amp_load_for_50_feet
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 04-20-2013 15:59
6 or 8 guage cable will work we have done it before.  Always figured it for 60 amps.  If welding long periods at high amps stop to let things cool off though or you can burn up any kind of input wire.
- - By ddxmountain Date 04-18-2013 00:15
So I went into a welding supply shop today and an electrical supply shop and I got the same advice at both locations, as follows:

Technically 8 gauge is rated for fifty amps and will do the job. However, welders draw a whole lot of amps, you want to be have sufficient copper there so that you will never have a problem with overheating. The SOOW power cable is also insulated so if you heat up your cable by not having a thick enough gauge, it has trouble releasing that heat due to the insulation of the cable. If you continue to run power through a cable that is too hot, it will damage your cable and your welder.  

It was suggested that to be safe instead of riding that edge, that 6 gauge would be more than ample in anyone's book. Again this is for my welder that draws 50 amps.

So there you have it. I dropped $100 on the 25' cord itself. That is without the 50 amp plug ends.

Side note, one of the electrical guys told me if I was going to have a cord longer than 100' that I would lose volts. I told him probably only a thirty foot cord, and he said that would be no problem. I know a lot of people have made mention that the longer the cord is, that you have problems with it not carrying the current.

I'm sure that some people would say that 6 gauge is a waste of money when 8 or even 10 is sufficient. I just decided to trust the experts and go with safe instead of cheap.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-18-2013 03:53
Good idea.

Now, don't go cheap on the ends either.  An electrical supply store is better for advice than Home Depot, Lumberman's, ACE, etc.  Though some of them also carry decent electrical parts. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 04-21-2013 15:12
Safe is always better than cheap, and because of your 20 % duty cycle and the time it takes to change rods and remove flux, I don't think you are ever going to overheat that cable!

However, on the cheapER side, I have three of these

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/welder-extension-cord-8-3-25/

which I have used for several years, and once, working steadily using a similar input, but higher output machine, with 5/32" - 7018. Cable and outlets never even got  perceptibly warm. I got them for $25 each on sale at Princess Auto, the Canadian version of HF. But, even if you have an old 60% duty-cycle tombstone, I think you will be super safe, and prepared for any future machine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder extension cord