Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Equipment
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-18-2013 14:52
We recieved two new Miller Invisions with dual MPA feeders.  (very much like the ones Allen posted about a month or so ago)

Put on the push pull gun and did just a couple of trials with 3/64  4043  using the "Profile Pulse" synergic programming.

Profile Pulse is a change in Millers synergic programming in that the current and the wire feed speed both pulse, with the intended result of a "GTAW" type ripple profile without whipping the gun.  Just a straight push by the operator and the current and wire feed increase and decrease in synchronized fashion.

The attached pic is of my very first try on .063 aluminum (16ga.)  Haven't yet programmed in hot start or crater fill;  but the weld went very nicely with just a very slight touch of spatter (which good surface prep would have eliminated) and ZERO burn thru on the back side of the weld.

It takes quite alot of practice and training to produce a GTAW fillet that size on thin material with no burn thru.  I made that weld the first try with only looking at the owners manual once...(touchpad is less intuative than the Lincoln 10M feeder)  With some TLC and trials I think it could do even better.
Parent - - By cddolan74 (**) Date 04-18-2013 16:56
would like to try this machine. Lawrence does that puddle look like it wets out nicely?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-18-2013 17:31
CD,

Yes!  It is actually very easy to see the root with this particular type of pulsation...  I would say there is less bridging at the root than with GTAW.

I've done some work on .093 and .125 this morning and the root fusion is even easier to see as the material thickens..  

This thing would make a dead sexy bassboat.

I will do some macros next week and verify....

The hot-start and crater fill settings are proving a bit mysterious on the first day so I have some cold starts and hot terminations on my coupons... But I'm confident that that can be dealt with with a little more practice or a visit from my Miller guy (Jim Maynard) who is really on top of his game.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-18-2013 18:35
Hello Lawrence, it definitely helps to have some of the folks directly from Miller to work with you when you first get ahold of one of these. I find that I am continually "forgetting/being unable to find" all of the hidden menus and adjustments that the Miller folks are rather adept at locating and using. We have had our machine out on various occasions since we got it. It definitely has capabilities that you won't find or be able to replicate on conventional CV machines. We have found that it is able to produce visually pleasing as well as mechanically sound welds on a wide array of material thicknesses of various alloys while not requiring the constant wire diameter match that is generally suggested or required with conventional GMAW welding of aluminum. We are currently using .047 diameter wire and having some pretty good success on a number of different challenges. Mainly 5356 and 4043 alloys. Enjoy and good luck, look forward to more commentary and pictures. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-18-2013 23:44
That is awesome!!!   First time I used a pulse setup on Al it was a very complicated ESAB unit...but it sure laid it down nicely and you could put a lot of weld in really hot without over pen.  That must have a heck of a feeder to pulse the wire speed in a timley fashion with the PS.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-19-2013 00:42
Tommy, there are a lot of the newer systems that literally advance and retract the wire in conjunction with the pulse frequency. When someone else is welding and you watch the wire spool on the feeder you can see this happening. I understand that this is how these systems are able to produce almost zero spatter and very precise bead profiles. I believe that Fronius, Miller, and Thermal Arc act in this way. I am not sure whether the Lincoln STT systems do this or if ESAB is up to speed yet.

Now we just need our high-speed welding camera system to capture this in a manner so that you can actually see it happening in the weld puddle. Have a great day and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By cddolan74 (**) Date 04-19-2013 15:25
Aevald,
I had the chance to weld with Fronius CMT and Lincoln STT. I believe I need to get a lincoln rep to show me the tricks because I dont see anything great about this machine they way they advertise it.
The Fronius took me some time to get the results I wanted, but really produced welds with no spatter and low heat input. I would likt to visit when you get that high speed camera.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-19-2013 15:53
Hello Chris, we are pursuing a camera system that is produced in Canada by a company called Invisual e Inc. There is a gentleman by the name Pierre Huot that has been great to work with and provide information and examples of how their system works and can be utilized. Our only issue has been the usual one....Funding. We're working on that and hoping to have something done in the next few months or so.

I say "when", we have it online, I will certainly share some of the results of how it can be utilized. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-24-2013 02:51
Allan I have never had the fortune to see such a system in action.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 04-19-2013 11:19
Impressive
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 04-19-2013 15:48
Looks good.  Out of curiosity, what shielding gas?
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 04-24-2013 01:53
tri-mix?
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 04-25-2013 12:08
How thin can you weld then with out using the pulse?? can you go below 1/8 inch aluminum but just have to move extremely fast?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-25-2013 12:49
Great question Chris.

1/8"  (11 ga) is pretty thin for traditional spray GMAW of aluminim, but it's doable, especially with smaller filler...  I won't say you can't on thinner stuff, but it will be very tricky.  Every time I say something can't be done I'm proven wrong.

Aluminum "can" be short circuit welded too (I'm told)... But fusion issues are always a problem... I have zero experience that way.
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 04-25-2013 15:02
I have done .100" without pulse, pretty much have to wear tennis shoes because you have to run to keep up! pulse sure makes life easier . They use to make .023" aluminum wire, bit tricky feeding but it helped on the thin stuff
- - By weldwade (***) Date 04-24-2013 03:01
I haven't welded with this new system from Miller, hopefully someday I will get the chance! Just a guess but I am going to say the weld pictured was with 100% argon.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 04-25-2013 01:17
Inside corners on aluminum are a challenge. Tacking up with TIG is doubly difficult because of the necessity of clamping without the clamping getting in the way. TIG welding inside aluminum corners in a smallish box is no fun - very difficult to make beautiful because of etching and less than optimal torch angles. An aluminum MIG that won't drive you crazy would be a valuable tool indeed so I'm very intrigued that you like this Miller Mig push-pull rig.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Equipment