Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Ethanol in Gas
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-20-2013 22:59 Edited 04-20-2013 23:56
Boy, this stuff sucks the dingle berries off the back of dead mule arse. Ever since these 'tards started shoving this trash down my throat I dread spring time. You drain gas off your mower, chainsaw, weed wacker and everything else. Run everything until it runs out of gas then use stabil on everything as well. When spring time hits nothing starts or if it does start like the 1-1/2 year old $500 mower, it runs like it has radical cam in it then about 15-20 seconds later it peter's out and stalls. $500 chainsaw idles fine but try to put a load on it and it says no thanks, bogs down and dies. Lucky for me the weedeater has an electric start option so you just hook it up and spin it til the pig starts.

Reading thru other sites lawnmower mechanics are talking about rebuilding carbs every year or replacing them every year due to the shelf life-less Ethanol/gas trash. 25-30 years ago I would have loved it. It would have meant I did not have to mow our yard as a kid(well, can't complain now though, don't give a rats arse about mowing grass now). We'd leave gas in the mower all winter long, spring would come and some sandpaper across the spark plug and the stupid mower would start and run for the rest of the summer.

Now the weird thing is this. I can go out to that old chevy I have. Has not hit a lick in 7,8 or more months. I can throw some jumper cables on it, crank it over and the s.o.b will start right up and run, drive and never miss a beat. Kinda feels like I'm getting shafted by the mower companies wanting me to buy a new mower every darn spring. Think this year I'm buying T posts and wire. Finish fencing the property and turn the free lawnmowers loose, my goats. Neighbor wants me to fence off about an acre of her property and turn my goats loose at her place too. Economical, ecologically sound, they eat and fertilize all at once.

Ok, guess my rant is over. Just exceptionally p.o'd.....This time I walked away from the mower and the chainsaw. Years ago I would have rolled the mower off the side of our big hill and grabbed the chainsaw by the blade and used it as a ax to cut the tree down. Just walk away....breathe, breathe.....
Parent - By SMTatham (**) Date 04-20-2013 23:46
Couldn't agree more!!  Expensive......but the fix some use is to buy "Trufuel" or the equivalent......without ethanol obviously for that last tankful of the year.....it does help.  I was changing fuel lines yearly in some stuff before doing that.   Sitting in that crap would split the line.....next thing ya know it's suckin' air!!  WTH!!!  Very frustrating!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-22-2013 00:01
We have some local stations that have 100 percent gas for a premium price. That premium is dirt cheap compared to the constant reworking of the yard equipment.
My push mower meet an untimely end last year for this reason. None of my equipment will ever again receive the ethanol crap again.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-22-2013 00:33
You pretty much said it,

"ethanol crap"

:lol:
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-22-2013 01:35
If you fill your yard cans with premium you can avoid the ethanol all together.  I don't know of anyone mixing ethanol in the premium gas.  Makes the stuff run a little better anyway.  That is all I use in my weed wackers and other small engines and I have not had any real issues.  My chainsaw, lawnmower etc all start and run as they should with many seasons on them.  I do run em dry when they get stored.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-22-2013 12:56
Here is Oregon all three grades of gasoline at the pumps in the city are 10% ethanol.  In order to get non-ethanol gasoline we have to travel to rural area gasoline stations.

Before leaving out on a motorcycle trip I try to locate these particular stations on the internet.

QCRobert
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-23-2013 00:58
ur too close to CALIFORNIA Robert!!!!!   Sorry Dualie:grin:
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 04-23-2013 05:33
Trust me i know.   if i wasn't such a fair weather fat kid at heart i would set off for less hippy infested pastures
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-24-2013 12:41
ur too close to CALIFORNIA Robert!!!!!  

Altho Orygun (an open carry state) is a blue state, it's worlds away from Kalifornicate!

QCRobert
- - By Dualie (***) Date 04-22-2013 01:54
ALL im going to say is the stuff is so bad you cant even put it through a pipeline, why the hell would i want to put it in my engine.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-23-2013 15:53
The sad thing is they are mandating even more ethanol in the gasoline.

No one ever said you have to be smart to be a politician.

Al
- By weldwade (***) Date 04-23-2013 18:44
For years we had a family trucking company delivering fuel. We sold out last year because of the horrible economy... Thanks a lot Bush and Obama! Anyway, I still buy red diesel and raw gas from Arizona Petrolium. When I get diesel it's a 100gal minimum and gas is 50gal. They gave me two used slightly damaged oil totes to store the product in. Most of the tank farms that I have been to have a place where businesses can buy fuel, I know of several in Az, Nm and Texas. I use Sta-Bil in the gas and the 50 gallons lasts me all year for the yard tools and chainsaw. Works out well for me and saves me quite a bit in a years time using the red diesel in my welder and backhoe.
- - By wytruckwrench Date 04-26-2013 04:41
I buy av gas and run that in all of my small engines. My cat pony motors are the worst. It will last for several years and most bulk plants can get it for you.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-26-2013 20:37
you use to be able to buy it at the local airport...with HS I dunno now.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 04-28-2013 15:16
I have used alot of junk equipment over the years and to think of all the money I would have saved if I just bought a very well made product the first time.  I am no small engine expert.  But I have an Echo weed eater and chain saw that have run faithfully since I bought them and thats with me who cant rember what the oil to fuel ratio is so I guess and then forgett to put the up  the gass and it gets rained on. Shawn just thought it might be a product line you might look into. 

I dont think anyone makes stuff like they used too.  The two most trust worthy pieces of equipment I own just happen to be the oldest. My 53 shorthood and my 1948 Ford 2N. Both get no special treatment and yet they  due what there supposed to do every time.
Parent - By mike wiebe 3 (*) Date 04-29-2013 01:04
It's amazing on the old junk .  My Dad just recently rebuilt an ol' 1926 McCormich Dearing tractor that was designed to run on gas deisel or kerosine whatever was the cheapest at the time
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-29-2013 01:17
I got an echo, paid out the wazoo for it. One season of government force fed ethanol and the rubber priming bulb was rotten, not to mention it would not start either. It was another, run it til it stalled before putting it up for the season and that s.o.b died to. Actually got it around here somewhere. Found a place near here that sells REAL gasoline so going to fill my 5 gallon with real gas and treat it with some sta-bil. Got seafoam to try and clean everything else out when I get a chance. Got a size 10-1/2 boot I'd like to stick straight up the arse of the fool who thought this grand idea up though. :mad:

Thanks for the thought though Stan!! :cool: Trying to catch the guy who mows my neighbors yard, gonna let him have a wack at this shathole until I get more fence up then I'll just let the goatmowers loose and be done with it!
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 04-29-2013 01:40
i got a guy that comes by bi weekly for $100 a month.  best money i can spend and i haven't had to screw with a string trimmer in several years.    well worth the price.    But the two stroke cut off saw is still something i have to screw with occasionally
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-30-2013 14:41
Our neighbors have "a guy", thinking when I see him again he'll be "our guy". We can do like you do, every other week. I can actually go longer than that but once every two weeks keeps it looking decent. Yep, got the seafoam and some time today, going back to mechanic Shawn!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-01-2013 02:43
well If they would make a four wheel drive version of this stuff.....

http://www.gizmag.com/husqvarna-reveals-solar-electric-hybrid-robot-lawn-mower/8955/

http://www.paradiserobotics.com/lawnbottrobotmowers/lawnbottlb3250lb3210lb3200.htm#.UYCAP0oplAo

http://www.robomow.com/en-USA/

Even a dang John Deere  http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_INT/products/equipment/autonomous_mower/tango_e5/tango_e5.page

Some of those charge themselves up and just do their thing.  I think at your place Shawn the goats will be way more efficient on that hill.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Ethanol in Gas