Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Sheet Metal
- - By calebmacc Date 06-01-2004 21:31
I would like to get into welding for arts and crafts mainly. I will be welding mostly 24 gauge sheet metal and NO structural steel. I am looking for a good, inexpensive welder. I did find a Lincoln Electric Hobby Welder (model #K1790-1) but they do not give a minimum steel thickness. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 06-02-2004 10:56
That's thin stuff for a mig. You may have some burn through problems if your technique is off it's mark. You will want a mig which has shielding gas as the fluxcore variety tend to burn through worse. (deeper penetration) Is the welder you mentioned a fluxcore wire unit or a small stick welder. The stick would be even worse for burn through than mig or fluxcore. Tig would be best, but I have no experience with it other than to understand it offers better low end heat control than any other process.
Parent - By calebmacc Date 06-02-2004 13:54
The welder I mentioned is a small stick welder so I guess that option is out. It sounds like I need to go with a small shielding gas mig and just be carefull. I appreciate the input. Thanks for responding.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 06-02-2004 14:25
The best luck I have with thin sheet metal is brazing with an oxy-actylene outfit. You would get less distortion that way also, since you don't take the metal up to as high of a temperature. You would have to design different joints and be able to tolerate a different colored joint though. An oxy-acteylene kit is a less expensive than a tig or mig welder too. As a bonus, you can use it to cut.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-02-2004 16:01
Depending on the sizes and shapes of your arts and crafts you might want to try a spot welder. I understand that companies like Harbor Freight sell them.
Chet Guilford
Parent - By Grumpy Date 06-14-2004 10:50
Check http://www.eastwood.com (1-800-345-1178 / stitch welder, stk no 19045) a gizmo that attaches to your hobby welder that reduces the current to about half. I have one but haven't tried it. They claim it will do sheet metal as thin as 22ga and it likes 1/16" drag rod.

In fact, if you haven't purchased yet, they also have a hobby welder and a spot weld gun that may just work for your hobby welding. Good luck and shoot us some pictures. Grumpy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Sheet Metal