Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D14.1 or D1.1 / D1.5
- - By Gerry Byrnes Date 04-12-2013 12:59
Can a wedler qualified under D1.1 or D1.5 perform welds specified on a drawing that references D14.1 or does the welder have to qualify per D14.1?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-12-2013 14:33
Gerry,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

If you run the welders qualification papers through the customer/engineer for approval he can choose to accept or reject those qualifications.  They are very similar tests and may even be so similar that you can set things up to run one test that would qualify the welders for all three.  You have to set up the WPS and other paperwork to reflect the combination of quals.

I know you can do one test that covers most D1.5 AND D1.1 qualifications.  I would have to look over D14.1 and I believe 14.3 to see what qualification tests they using. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 04-17-2013 11:07
For those of us not familiar with D14.1, what is it?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-17-2013 12:44
eekpod

Chris

D14.1/D14.1M:2005 SPECIFICATION FOR WELDING OF INDUSTRIAL AND MILL CRANES AND OTHER MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT

http://pubs.aws.org/product_info.php?products_id=339

Marshall
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-17-2013 14:16
Chris,

And 14.3 is 'Specification for Welding Earthmoving, Construction, and Agricultural Equipment'. 

They apply to all kinds of heavy equipment from trackhoes, cats, log stackers, bucket loaders, etc. to overhead cranes, conveyors and other kinds of material handling equipment.

They are very similar in many ways to D1.1 but obviously in epuipment you have some unique configurations/designs.  They are becoming more a stand alone code but, as with D1.5 and 1.1 there may be enough similarity for welder quals that a test could be used that would qualify the welder for several applications from all three codes.  Just haven't had time to follow through and see what is in it currently.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By gastonM (**) Date 06-13-2013 14:19
D14.1
7.3 Welders, Welding Operators, and Tack Welders
7.3.1 All welders, welding operators, and tack welders
to be employed under this speciication shall have been
qualiied by tests as prescribed in Parts C, D, and E of
this section. Purchaser's representatives, at their discretion, should accept evidence of previous qualifĂ­cation of
the welders, welding operators, and tack welders to be
employed. A suggested form showing the information
required is shown in Appendix A.
- - By jbarnes Date 05-01-2013 15:26
which table and sub clause in d1.1 does it talk about the "WPQR" on welding 5/8" thick material to 2" thick material using gmaw & fcaw there is a slight dispute within my company in regards to the 3/8" 3g wpqr qualification being sufficient enough,but i'm almost positive that is not right i think the welders need to be re qualified on the 1" unlimited test could someone help me with this please i am at home and my code book is at work the ceo of the company just called me asking if i knew the exact page this was stated i told him it would be in clause 4 and around table 4.10
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-10-2013 20:05 Edited 05-10-2013 20:16
You're correct jbarnes.

For unlimited T welder qual, refer to Figure 4.21 for all position or the optional Figure 4.29 Horizontal position test configuration where you'll see the thickness of the plate being 1"

For limited Thickness welder qual, refer to figure 4.30 for all position or the optional 4.31 Horizontal position test configuration that clearly shows a 3/8" plate T...

Table 4.10 does describe the limit for a 3/8" T plate, showing a Minimum of 1/8"T & maximum T of 3/4" with a reference to note 3.

The caveat to this is if the T of plate is: 3/8"< T< 1" then the maximum T is 2T with a reference to note 3 also.

Note 3: Also qualifies for welding any fillet or PJP weld size on any thickness of plate, pipe or tubing...

Now if you look below(1) "Test on Plate," you'll notice another section which refers to Production Fillet welds (T-joint and Skewed)... I believe the person who's disputing your claim is inadvertently referring to that section instead because in that section, you'll notice that it shows a groove for the first three types of test welds and the first one shows a "Nominal Test Plate Thickness, T, in." of 3/8" and if you go across to find the "Nominal Plate Thickness qualified, in." and it shows a maximum of "unlimited" which is probably why there's a debate in the first place... In other words, right table, wrong category.:lol::lol::wink:

HENRY
- - By edwin20 Date 07-29-2013 23:11
Hi everybody! I have a question about D14.3 with this code, I can disign Truck bodies??? or what is the code?

Thanks for your answer :grin:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-30-2013 03:46
Truck bodies?? Or frames??  :confused: 

Would be either automotive or sheet steel (not structural - D1.3, would be D9.1 I believe or automotive which number I don't remember at the moment.).

Oh, Welcome to the AWS Welding Forum.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By edwin20 Date 07-30-2013 05:04
Sorry but I want to disign dump truck with hardox 450 and  I don't know what is the code for this application .
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-30-2013 12:38
Try a combination of:

AWS D14.1 - Specification for the design of welded joints in machinery and equipment
and
D14.3 - Specification for welding earthmoving, construction, and agricultural equipment

also incude any applicable DOT regulations.

Tim
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-30-2013 16:58
I agree with Tim.  The D14 codes should take care of you but if it will be on the highway you need to check your DOT regs as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D14.1 or D1.1 / D1.5