Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tanks
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-04-2013 03:20
How many welders have had the opportunity to put large tanks together with a bunch of 20 something know it all "welders"...?

I have. I lost 14 pounds.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-04-2013 03:56 Edited 05-04-2013 04:01
uhhhh  i HAVE DONE IT WHEN   I WAS  a twenty something and it sucked,,,,I have done it when I was not a twenty something,,,,guess what?,,,,it still sucked.   It ain't your age bro....fabbing tank farms just sucks......painful would be a better way to put it.   It is hard ass work I do not care how you slice it you can be a great welder and it is still hard ass work.  Love ya man   take care
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-04-2013 03:59
Well....I'm sitting here in my room, crippled, burned, and stitched....and I am happy I did it!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-04-2013 04:00
And so damn happy I'm goin home to see my beautiful babies after I wake up tomorrow!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-04-2013 23:40
I used to do it when I was in my twenties but I work with an older gentleman that would knock the breath out of you if you didn't do what he said. So you learned real quick. He tought me a lot but some times I knowed he wanted to kill me.LOL

M.G.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 05-05-2013 06:48
Theres something to be said about that teaching method.    More often than not you remembered what you were taught.  

Lately i think i been to damn easy on these dumb kid greenhorns,  Maybe Monday i will put on my hardass hat and start cracking skulls.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-05-2013 15:07
Bullshift!
That way taught poor safety skills. Those type foremen were only for production. I knew one that had killed 3 men. He never had any regret for what had happened to men he had taught. You run enough on plate you are going to fall. I catch a worker running on a project I ream the foreman. I catch another worker running I call the company safety person and he, the foreman and I have a prayer meeting. There is no third time.
I see a lot of foreman and supt's with poor people skills run off good quality craftsmen. Workers today will not put up with that type of behavior. And why should they. There are too many opportunities for good, skilled workers to put up with these bullies.
I will say, the major erection companies do not tolerate this when it is not tolerated by the owner. Sure there are tank operators and owners that care less about the way workers are treated. But the consequences of actions by the contractor are the responsibility of the operator/owner.
The hardass hat cracking skulls results in where quality people will not work for you or the POS company that will tolerate your behavior!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-05-2013 15:44
I was treated like that when I just started welding and I didn't like it then but I had to put up with it because I was learning a trade,but I wouldnot treat any human being like that now ever.It might have worked back in the early 70's but not today. I agree with dbigkahunna people wouldn't and shouldn't be treated in such a way.

M.G.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 05-05-2013 19:39 Edited 05-05-2013 20:57
I'm tired of all these hands coming in thinking everyone gets a ribbon and a prize.    You're here to work not get a spiritual experience unless a paycheck is spiritual to you.   IF i tell em to do something at the end of the day I'M The one on the hook for their well being.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-05-2013 22:45
Dualie I know where you are coming from.  I think it comes from very green people who do not know how to leave thier feelings at home when they come to work.  I have earned my "stripes" so to speak under great foreman and very poor ones.  There is such a thing as being too nice over mistakes, and lackluster performance and sometimes a boot up the arse is necessary with some employees.  This thing here is more a misunderstanding of intentions I think.

I have also seen those cresent wrench/hardhat throwing/pushing shoving strawbosses that inevitably get thier butt stomped out on a job.  I agree there is no place for that s((t on any job.  When I run guys I can be pretty harsh, I do have a very limited f88k up/screw up absorbtion tank....however I also understand that everybody has a different kinda soul and you should pay attention to that and treat that soul according to what will get you the best results.  It takes effort to deal with groups of people and bring the most out of them.

My two cents
carry on
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-06-2013 19:03
I'm one of those people who cant leave their feelings at home....heh heh......If someone treats me shabby, they better have strong bones...lmfao!!

On a serious note...I have had 11 regular jobs since 2012. I went into the jobs overqualified, knowing I could land another similar job the day after dragging up. I did this as a challenge from a special lady friend that believed I couldn't hold regular employment for a solid year. All of this while getting rigged out and fully ready to hit the road and be back in my element again. She and I hadn't discussed holding the same job for a year, so in 8 weeks she loses the challenge, and I'll get the prize. That being my way...lol!

Every one of these jobs started great. good welds, good xrays, great treatment...but they all ended the same way: diminished respect for my consistent quality work, promises not kept by the employer, and over all hostile conditions, until I left with some of their clients. It's all the same kind of treatment as what you would get in the 70's, just not physical. It's every employers job to beat down the workers emotionally, and financially, so they don't ever go onto anything better for them and their families....it's good business these days! Show me someone who does consistently good work, (who has sufficient self esteem), who doesn't drag up and give that particular company the bird, when the particular company begins it's systematic degradation shenanigans....? The people who will tolerate it feel like they have no other option. It makes me as sick as watching one of my good buddies cow toe to his nagging wife. GAG!!!

But....if there weren't good little sheep in this world, it would be a mess I suppose....
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-06-2013 21:10
sourdough says:

It's every employers job to beat down the workers emotionally, and financially, so they don't ever go onto anything better for them and their families....it's good business these days!

I say:

No not really. No doubt some do, many don't.
As an employer I've always figured MY job was to find really solid hands, give them work they completely understand, supply them with the most efficient methods and tools available, keep the work in front of them, pay them more than THEY think they're worth, and watch the good things happen.
That, and grill on Saturday. And ice a watermelon every day for break time.
Other employers take different paths but mine has kept everybody content, loyal, well paid and well fed for several years. If we can't have fun doing welding stuff then what are we gonna do for a living?

dbigcahunna is right, a working man brings his skills and enthusiasm to the employer (at whatever level they are) and trades them for dollars to feed the family and fuel the Harley (only to feed the Harley if he's single : )). Not abuse (as already mentioned that's a trip to the hospital for some bosses), not yellin, not stupidity. Those bosses aren't going to get any more than the minimum effort out of any hand. Minimum effort never equals maximum profit.
Those jobs usually pay low, get low. Treat hands poor, get poor hands.

Safety trumps price even in this economy because safety IS price. Bid low, get the work, hurt a couple men on the job and guess what, your price just went thru the roof and nobody even bothers to start a lawsuit at a million anymore so I really mean thru the roof.
Lawyers are uber expensive, workmans comp more so, bad press kills in terms of $$$ and future work. So the safety ($$$) factor plays into more than any employee understands.

Got an old school foreman who wants to clock a guy on the job? Get ready to lose your insurance max in court (after it drags out several years) and give up all future work.
Not to say they're not still out there, but they won't survive much longer.

J

Just my take based on my observations, experience and upbringing.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 05-07-2013 02:46
Sourdough..... I'm with JTMcC on this one..... Have had the same 3 employees for 20 plus years.. One that I lost to the pipeline (was my helper.... when I drug up for vacation he stayed on as somebody elses helper) has had enough and wants to come back to the family.....:red::red::red::red:   All employers aren't a**holes ,we have get togethers outside of work( #1 rule no shop talk) If you keep looking you'll find a good employer, if you can't maybe you need to look in the mirror..... No offence but some people just aren't wired to work for somebody .....need to be in business for themselves......:roll::roll::roll::roll: I know cause I'm one of them....hang in there buddy!!!!!!
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 05-13-2013 17:27
Your my kinda guy JTMcC.
Your spot on the safety as well. We have companies we work for that we have to submit our safety numbers every quarter to retain the job we do for them. We cannot be above the industry average for more than a quarter or our $$ goes down.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-15-2013 20:42 Edited 05-15-2013 21:01
I've had customers where a small scrape or cut, that only requires a bandaid, results in a court of inquiry. Everyone present at the time is interviewed seperatly by a "commitee". And they would ban a contractor at will over too many scrapes and bruises.

It's a money thing to them.

My two employees who work the most for me are my Son and my best friend. They (the owner) don't understand that I take the hands safety more serious than any company safety man ever will because it's not a money thing to me, it's a moral thing, and I really like to sleep at night.
Even if a guy is working for me that I personally don't like, I'm not going to do anything to get them hurt.

As my favorite safety sticker says: We only come to work, we don't come to die.

I've never seen a welding job that was sooo important that a man/woman should get hurt over it. Show up on time, earn your pay, enjoy the work day, go home at night. That's about it. I've banned myself off of sites where that wasn't possible in spite of the $$$ involved, it's never worth it. Maybe that's why we aren't filthy rich : ) : )

J
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-14-2013 16:24
Well, it must be different in Colorado. Aside from being treated shabby, you get pushers who shave hours or per diem off your pay....so that they get their bonuses. Don't know how many times in the last year and a half I actually got paid without having to dispute my check.

JT, if you treat your hands with respect and dignity...that's awesome. I'm just saying that I haven't been treated that way. I've been treated like its some kind of privilege to bust my ass, be top dog welder, and make the company money. I've actually been told on starting day once that there's a hundred guys just like me standing in line for my job. I replied, "then let's see what you get", and promptly hopped in my truck and blazed. His ad for a qualified welder is still running, and is 6 months old now. See what I'm saying? There are a ton of people out there who are either socially retarded, or just plain ignorant when it comes to respecting another man. It shouldn't matter if you sign the paychecks. If I show up on time, rock out the layout, slam stuff together, and throw down some killer welds and a lot of feet per day.....should you not appreciate that and treat me like an asset, instead of an expendable commodity?

This has been my experience in the last year or so. You guys who understand that we are all human, and who are discerning and witty enough to be the juggler behind the scenes....my hat's off to you! Some people just don't have enough sense to run a business efficiently. Unfortunately I have run into a bunch of folks who oughta have jumper cables applied to their nuts.

And....it is true what was implied about me not being one of those guys who can't just be a worker bee. Totally true. I'm an innovator, a thinker, and a hustler. I like to work as efficiently as possible, and make money doing that. I don't enjoy doing that for a smaller wage, unless the outfit I work for gives me the freedom to be who I am. I'm good at what I do, and it hurts a little when an employer is scared to let me know it for fear of my head getting big. My other rig is close to being finished....so you won't hear me whining about this topic much longer...(grin).
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-15-2013 21:00
No, it's the same everywhere.

One thing I know, the farther up the food chain you move, the less BS the welders have to deal with.

I don't build tanks but from the tanks I've been around it's a world with lax specs and inspection and I'm not dogging on tank welders.

Harsh (fair) inspection and harsh (fair) specs thin the air considerably. There is more money there, better conditions, fewer competitors, better bosses, better everything. Certainly not perfect but better.

In work that almost any low to mid range welder can do, it gets very muddy and then you have the proverbial 100 welders lined up at the gate. I know there are people making a fortune in residential railings, and good bosses there too. But they are a lot fewer than in fields where skill capable welder are few and far between.

I've seen welding jobs that required run of the mill skills where a good welder was appreciated, treasured and rewarded, but I've also seen top of the line, no repair welders in harsh fields tossed. So there are about 3.75 million factors in play but higher levels of  skill/inspection/specs almost always helps the man holding the stinger.

No matter the level of work, the Human Element will never go away tho. There hasn't yet been a perfect welding job and there never will be. If there is I'd like to be on it : ) Not holding me breath tho.

J
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-15-2013 21:17
Not to beat this to death, and I probably am, let's say this:

Say I don't want to be a welder I wanna be a fireman.

Ok, I can go down to the local volunteer fire dept. They love me, I can bring a big grill to their cookouts/fundraisers and I'm a Superior Grillmaster Supreme. I can drive a big truck off road. I can hold a hose, run a shovel, put strobes on my truck and I'll show up fast in the middle of the night. There are a lot of guys who can do the same (except grill as good as me).

Or, I can go down to the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant and try to become a firefighter there. Totally different story now. The highly qualified aren't lined up knee deep here, the labor pool is shallow.

Both guys can be a great human being, both guys can have a sorry boss. Both might be very good at what they do but the latter usually will have a better chance at good conditions and more appreciation for his/her efforts and certainly more $$ per hour. I'll quit now.

J
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-27-2013 00:36
Well....I may have found a good boss....working 70 ft in the air under induction fans at a coal power plant. Good steady breeze, all kinds of elbow room, and a good handshake and "thank you" at the end of inspection day.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 05-13-2013 23:12
The last time i had a company man yell at me and give me lip i just gave him a go to hell look got in the truck and left, Gate gaurd stopped said he wants you back. I went back and his attitude was different. I sternly told him nobody talk sto me that way and to go back to his lil shack and let me do my job my way. didnt mess with me the rest of the day.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tanks