Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hood decision?
- - By C21impulse Date 05-25-2013 02:57
I would like to get some opinions on a hood.. Miller digital elite(so far looks like my choice), Lincoln electric Viking 3350, speed glass 9100( I have one). Or any other options? I like the miller the most but the Viking seems more cost friendly
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 05-25-2013 03:17 Edited 05-25-2013 03:22
Personally don't like any auto darks but I have to say both the miller and speed glass auto darks the viewing is really the same as far as being clear now this was about 2 years ago that I welded with both of them. I have a Jackson Nexgen that I learned to weld with and the only time it comes out to get used is when my dads friend needs to borrow it. I hate it, when looking at the puddle I see two puddles.

Just gotta say to all you fibre metal pipeliner guys i use to wonder why the hell did you use the pipe liner shield with the rubber straps till I put one on my head today and man there the most comfortable shields with that rubber strap. Gonna be buying one next week before I end up going back to welding. Super light and comfortable should have used them years ago.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-26-2013 12:22
Buy the digital elite! Well worth the money and in my opinion the best one out there. Have had mine for.....2 years? 3 years.....I don't know, but it has been dropped, kicked around(on accident) rode in the toolbox on the truck and thing is like a Timex! Keeps on ticking. I have a speed glass as well but when it comes to getting in tight areas where your sensors might be blocked on the front of the hood I reach for the digital elite. Right now it's set up on my hard hat (which, again, in my opinion sucks, Millers gear that is) so not using it much but you have inspired me to go out today and break it down into a welding hood only.

I had a Viking before, was not impressed. Mine ended up dying on me a month or two after I bought it. Never went back to Lincoln hoods. Yeah, the Miller is a bit pricey but so was that Speedglas you have, I'm betting you paid more for your Speedglas than you will the Miller digital elite..... I did. You won't be unhappy with that Miller. A friend of mine changed the battery in his after using it for 6 years! His was not the digital elite though. Mine has been going for like I said, 2-3 years, I bet it's almost three, but no issues.
- - By C21impulse Date 05-25-2013 03:43
I've considered getting one of them too, just want to go auto darkening because for me it makes for an easier start.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 05-25-2013 04:20
You learn to nod your head and strike where you need to strike it just takes practice. The auto dark I feel didn't go dark fast enough and my eyes were itchy at the end of the day so thats why I don't use them anymore and there just not as clear as a permanent lens but whatever works for ya stick with it.
Parent - - By C21impulse Date 05-25-2013 05:56
Alright thanks for the opinion
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 05-25-2013 06:35
I drive a truck for welding store and have never heard of Viking welding shield but what this company carries is mostly the Miller shield and there isn't a lot of guys forking up the money on those shields, there just to dang expensive. I do see a lot of guys buying the arc one solar lenses I believe there called but have been told there not as good as the battery assist. There is a cheaper shield these guys sell and they have sold more of them then the millers but not sure if there viking or what. I'll try and remember to ask what brand when I go back on Tuesday. Only other advice is get your hands on every shield out there and try it out and see whats best for you.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 05-25-2013 08:52
I bought my arc one in 07 and it still works. For the everyday shop guy. I recommend ethier an arc one in a fiber metal pipeliner hood or a speed glass. Both are reliable in my opinion. But my favorite is still my trusty ole Wendy's pancake with an arc one lens.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-25-2013 13:23
I have had my Pipeliner Hood with an Optrel auto lens for about 10 years. Still works as good as when I bought it !
Parent - - By C21impulse Date 05-25-2013 14:33
Thanks for all the input, ill just save myself some money and learn to use the fixed lens hood. I agree on the high price of the digital elite but it is a nice hood. Like I said I have a speed glass already I was just looking to upgrade to something with a grind mode and adjustable shades
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 06-01-2013 21:28
Hey Cummins, could you post a pic of your hard hat with the miller mounted on it?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-01-2013 23:45
I like some of those Arc one lenses but I hate the hoods.   I been thinking on getting that ArcOne X540D Xtreme cause it will fit any big lens hood, its thin as a glass filter and pretty light, has good features. I am stuck on that #10 miller lens for my field hood.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hood decision?