Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Bags or Timbrens, that is the question
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-16-2013 12:01
I bought a set of airbags for the truck awhile ago. For the first week or two all seemed well. Then they leaked down, ok, I'll just check them in the morning before I head out. That lasted, well, not long. Next was keeping a foot pump on the truck as I would realize they were low on air when I hit one of the fine bridge to road transitions and would have my backbone shoved into my brain. I have had sheared mounting bolts(supplied bolts with kit that were replaced by CAT grade 8 bolts), leaks, worries that the botard at the tire place actually listens to me when I tell him not to pick the truck up on a frame lift and let the rear axle hang. Overall the bags were not horribly bad. If I had the money to spend on a compressor and gauge set up for the cab so I could monitor it then perhaps they would have been less irratating for me.

My recent tower work and associated field fire while at 160' watching my truck burn took care of one of the airbags, lines and left me sitting on the overload springs for sometime while waiting on checks. When I got my money I had a decision. Do I buy another bag and the $300-400 compressor? It will cost nearly $600 to just repair them to get them where I want. This is only for the rear, I still have to work on the front end. I looked into Timbrens once again. A little shy of $500 out the door for front and rear Timbren's. 3000#'s on the front, 6000#'s on the rear? Hmm, airbags were not rated for that. I was still heavily skeptical on their performance however and not much of a gambling man I found it hard to turn loose of the cash but caved and placed the order.

I got the Timbren's in and figured since I was extremely busy I needed to concentrate on making money and not "playing" with the truck. I wish that would have worked but reading the directions on the front Timbren's I thought, really? A prybar, a jack, block off wood and soapy water. Jack up frame of truck, prybar on original rubber bumpers, soapy water on Timbren's, place, lower frame of truck. Timbren's seated in sockets and done. I kid you not, 10-15 minutes to install these things from dragging out gear to putting it back. After that, what the heck, lets throw on the rears. Jack up frame, remove rubber bumper brackets, install Timbren's. Unfortunately the massive airbag brackets were in the way so had to remove that in order to get the bolts tight on the Timbren's. Took around 20-30 minutes for these due to complications on the hardware for the airbags, carriage bolts square block that was meant to hold it from turning stripped out so had to fight several bolts out. If you don't have airbags in the way, 15-20 minutes tops.

When I put the Timbren's on the front I immediately noticed a difference in the height of the nose, same with the rear. I was still worried about performance however and took the truck for a short test drive to my kids school to drop off waste plastic. Not a good test drive as it is relatively smooth. Over the last few days I have hauled a bunch of steel, had many horrible bridge transitions and I have to admit, I am impressed with the Timbren's. I have hit some heavy transitions on bridges but as they say, you can't fix stupid and apparently around here stupid runs amuck when it comes to transitions from road to bridge and bridge to road.

Overall you can't go wrong with either airbags or Timbren's. As far a price, what you'll pay for bags, compressor for the rear you can buy front and rear Timbren's, spend about 30 minutes installing instead of hours and have money left over to put towards your new 5" turbo back exhaust. Airbags are good except loaded like our trucks are I found that when I would air them up it would roll the weight on the front end. Softening the rear but hurting the front.

Anybody looking at Timbren's or Airbags I hope this helps. As I said, you can't go wrong with either but due to my nature I prefer the hassle free, EXTREMELY easy to install Timbren's.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-17-2013 00:38
Mine still don't leak!  Course I did not set them on fire yet either!:eek::evil::evil::grin::grin::grin:   Ehhh probably a result of you put more miles on your truck and go off road a lot more then I do.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-17-2013 02:06
I've had that truck in some real bad situations, drove up and down places I probably should not have!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-20-2013 22:28
I have had them both. I will NEVER use Bags again. Timbrens for ever more !!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-21-2013 17:37
I was waiting for you to say something Cactus! :lol:

You were right! :cool:

I love these things so far. Have loaded the heck out of the truck since I put them on and it don't drop much if any, don't have to pump up the bags when I throw 4000 pounds on the trailer then worry about lowering the pressure once I am unloaded. Was always a pain when I would air them up to 70psi to haul heavy then get to where I unload and then the truck looks like a 70's hot rod when I pull out! Have to carry a foot pump, tire gauge...now I just jump in and go.

I highly recommend them to anybody now!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-21-2013 18:11
Shawn,

What are you driving for a truck?

Last fall I made a quick trip to OR and brought my folks' 36' 5th wheel down to AZ.  i used their one ton Dodge (deisel, 6 sp man) to bring it down.  Now, trying to decide if I want to set up my 3/4 ton Dodge to do some occassional pulling or just go trade it for a one ton and then set that up. 

I was contemplating putting the timbrens in no matter which one I go with.  Was just wondering what some of you guys are using?  I know for most applications the one ton is far better.  I had one back in the 80's to pull a 40' conventional when I travelled with the Boilermakers.  BUT, currently I own a paid for 06 Dodge 2500 and not in a big hurry to trade.  I know it's going to hit the pocket book.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-21-2013 20:35
Brent,
I pull my 40' Fifth Wheel 9 (4 slides) with my 2011 F-250 4x4 (with Timbrens) It pulls as good or better than my Dodge Cab and Chassis. TIMBRENS make the difference !!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-21-2013 20:43
And I am not worried about the power and pulling ability of the 2500.  I was mainly concerned with the weight issue on the rear springs.  I was hoping for that kind of answer Cactus.  Thanks.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-21-2013 22:44
The Rear Timbrens will add 9,000lbs capacity to whatever you install them on.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-22-2013 02:25
2002 Dodge 1 ton, 5 speed manual, 5" turbo back exhaust, Quadzilla 180 hp tuner, BHAF, Glacier Fuel Boss and with trailer in tow loaded weight 17,000lbs will still amazingly haul some butt!

My Timbrens for the rear will support 6000lbs, the timbrens for the front, which took 10-15 minutes to install are rated at 3000lbs(tow option)

I don't know what kind of tongue weight a 36' 5th wheel has so I can't offer up any sort of information on that. As I said though they seem to handle better, ride better, are easier to maintain(no maintenance, PERIOD!).
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-25-2013 13:25
The Tongue Weight on my 40' is 2100 lbs. Your 36 is probably close to 1600 - 1800
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-25-2013 15:26
Having pulled it the one time with my dad's 3500 I would guess that to be pretty close.  And thus, sure the 2500 would handle it, but how far does a guy push it.  I would rather get the timbrens and have a better ride.  That usually equates to safety as well. 

I don't plan on long trips but want everything set up good just in case.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-25-2013 20:12
I'd get them for the front and rear. When I had the bags I'd air them up and load the truck and it was fine. When I unloaded it transferred the weight to the front and steering felt a lot different, as if it was real heavy on the front. If I didn't have enough air in the bags it would feel loose in the steering. The Timbrens front and rear and I don't feel any different loaded or unloaded. If the tongue weight is near what Cactus is saying then the 2500 won't have a problem with it and I believe it will be under your GVWR, but you'd have to check on that, crunch the numbers. The Timbrens in the rear would just keep the rear from squatting so low and the front would not feel like ultra super awesome over powered power steering, turn sharp corners just by using the tip of your pinky finger.

I see some rolling down the interstate, loaded like crazy. Some super huge mobile home and the back of their 2500/250 is dragging the bumper, nose is pointed at the sky and the old retired guy just riding along smiling trouble free. Safer, yes, keeps the load balanced over the entire suspension, front and rear instead of unloading the front and overloading the rear.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-27-2013 00:38
On my Cab and Chassis, I had my Hitch 2' behind the Axle. My 40' would only squat the truck 1/2 " That was with my Rig (Machine etc) on it. My 2500 with Timbrens and my 40', it does not squat at all.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Bags or Timbrens, that is the question