Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What a Trailer..
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-26-2013 15:17
Looking online at trailers, need a bigger one finally. Ran across this on craigslist. How do they even get away with garbage like this? Son of a gun looks like it would fall apart carrying a load of pillows!! Is it me or does it look like a world class p.o.s?? I had to laugh when I saw it!! Thought it worthy of sharing!
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 05-26-2013 16:01
Cummins, What a P.O.S. trailer looked to be a bumper pull and somebody "modified" to a gooseneck.... Wonder if the "FABRICATOR" would take credit for that work and be proud of it.....:eek::eek::eek::eek: I know the "pain" of buying a trailer :yell::yell::yell::yell: Everything cheaply built.....I built a 40' gooseneck to run beams to the shop from the warehouse and then to a painter and then finally to downtown Pittsburgh......Had wwwway to many hours into building it......You can get approved DOT plans for any size trailer you want to build from Northern Tool ($ 35.00)...... Best trailer I've owned made by CAM SuperLiner out of Harrisburg, PA. area......:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-26-2013 17:52
I don't know what it was modified for, but it looks like it has had satisfactory service.  If the person had a full machine shop with full welding equipment that is one thing. But if he had limited equipment it did not prevent him from modifying what he had to what he needed. All the guy may have had was a grinder and a 110 volt welding machine.May look like a POS but if it served its purpose with acceptable cost that is the definition of fitness for service.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-26-2013 23:03
Opening bid:  $1.00
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-27-2013 02:24
I have seen trailers made with mobile home axles etc.  People do what the got to do with what they have...I am no different.   Somebody's scrap can be some others valuable tool pretty quick.  That thing probably mobilized somebody's tractor and maybe a car/truck or two...if it was worthless the modified hitch arrangement would be broke and the tires flat.  Scary going down the highway....yea I would give em room, plenty of it, trash(?) eh, depends on where your standing I reckon.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 05-28-2013 02:23
DBig.........would you buy/pull that thing down the hi way??????????? I didn't think so buddy.........:yell:
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-28-2013 12:39
You don't know that!
All the comments, including mine are based on the picture. The OP found the pictures on Craigslist. Who knows what it looks like in person. And if the guy wanted 200 or so, who cares. It could be made back into a trailer pull with a angle grinder. Even 500 would be a good price. That is a factory heavy duty tongue pull.
A POS is in the eye of the beholder.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-27-2013 21:35
I've been checking used trailers and it's pretty amazing. Guys(several) have 6-10 year old 14k trailers, dovetail, 20+5, single jack, and they're asking $4000, $4800 for them. Guy at the trailer joint will sell me a brand spanking new one for $4950! Hahaha!! I can get a deluxe model with lay down ramps, twin jacks, LED's for $5800. Seems a trailer will hold it's value that's for sure! Think I paid $1000 for my current trailer 10 years ago, guess it's worth about $2000 now! LOL!!

I think build a trailer is great but it's a time issue with me, need it now type of stuff. I've got 20, 23 foot beams I've got to haul and have needed a larger trailer in the past but hesitated. Actually, I'm still hesitant because I want a shop more than a trailer but seems one does need the other! Where's my winning lottery ticket? :lol::lol:

I too have seen some real train wrecks going down the highway and overloaded, wheels deflecting outwards. I hover behind them for a minute then hammer down and get passed quick before it grenades and they take me out.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 05-28-2013 03:09
How much for the concrete block under the jack looks to be the only thing worth a dollar
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-28-2013 11:09
Looks good enough to haul that load of skids in the bush...
Job done...next.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-19-2013 11:23
I was wondering the same thing the other day. I was following a Tahoe pulling this car "trailer"(term used lightly) made out of L3x3x1/4 and that thing was flexing all over the place while it was being pulled (empty). It must have been one of those mathematical trailers as it was putting down three tires and carrying one. Every now and again that one tire would hit a high spot and get the tire to spinning, but most of the time the wind going over the top of it, kept it spinning slowly backwards.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-19-2013 14:15
Those are the kinds of things you look at then floorboard the throttle to get as far ahead of them as possible!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-30-2013 18:56
Looks to be a camper frame and axles.

Heh heh heh heh.....
- By Dualie (***) Date 05-27-2013 03:46
maybe its 1/2" wall tube full pen welded?   Sad to say i have seen worse rolling down the highways but thats definitely a trailer i wouldn't pull.
- - By Paladin (***) Date 05-27-2013 12:48
Well, the fenders look to be in pretty good shape.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-28-2013 11:17
Well, either way that sure isn't a trailer that I would lay down hard earned money for! LoL! If I could pick it up at the dollar store perhaps!
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 05-29-2013 01:14
You gota give it one thing, at least it has dust covers on the axles. I see people hauling al kinds  of junk and no dust covers. If it were me the bearings would be burned out in less than a mile. lol
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-29-2013 01:51
Shawn

How heavy and how long are you looking for....dream trailer down to what you could use?  I have manufactures and dealers all around me plus I run into deals occasionally....A friend of mine buys em and fixes em up...I could probably find four or five he knows about for sale.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-29-2013 03:56
Need a minimum of a 20 footer, like the plus 5 cause it gives me just a tad more. Really need a 14k as well. Don't want to buy something to get buy as I feel I'll be wasting money.
- By grizzzly (**) Date 06-19-2013 04:22
When I first saw that P.O.S. I thought it was a trailer me and a friend put together.
Long story we were doing a job out in the middle of nowhere New Mexico, I was in a backhoe and he was driving a pick up with a trailer.
He drove it off a hill into an arroyo and rolled the rig about three times, tore the hitch off of the trailer and bent it like a corkscrew. And in the process of dragging the truck out of the arroyo I tore the headache rack (and a few other things) off of the truck.
I straightened the trailer and he headache rack (some) with the back hoe and we chained the headache rack to the trailer kinda like in the picture. the end of the headache rack that was sticking out went over the ball on the truck
We were able to load the trailer and drive it out, we did about 30 miles of dirt road and 20 miles of asphalt but I was following him in the backhoe neither of thought we would make it all the way back to the yard
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What a Trailer..