Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Travel Time Question
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 02:56
What are you guys typically doing about travel time? This job is over 800 miles away I am going to. Last job I did I charged them a $1/mile and at 250 miles was not bad for them. Over $800 miles and I kinda start feeling guilty(ever so slightly mind you, nano guilt).

It's going to be a small job, drive out, spend a day or two and then drive back(yippee! need a driver!)

As I said though, over 800 miles there and back and $1600 seems to me like I'm getting ready to fook somebody over. Charging by the hour for my hourly rate, not an option cause it would be almost double the cost, one way. If the job was a week or two I could cut it in half or do something but drive there, work a day maybe two then driving again.

What are your thoughts? Trying to be fair as this is a client I would very much like to do more work with. thanks for any input,

Shawn
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 06-06-2013 04:08
Well you can go about it a couple of ways.  Fuel reimbursement plus vehicle operating cost per mile plus what ever you think you should charge for your windshield time.  Then there's always the IRS mileage guide plus windshield time.  I've used both before, some folks like the first one others like the second, it just depends on who you're working with and how you present it to them..
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2013 04:08
Short job, I'd generally go with fuel plus hours for the driver.  Others can sleep, read, whatever but not on the clock.  That, or they can drive themselves there as most construction guys do.  At their own expense.

At a minimum, $800.  Based upon .50 per mile.  Plenty for fuel and vehicle use with a little for food.  I believe the current max for taxes is .60.  That doesn't mean you can't charge and/or pay more, it is only what is tax deductible.  Your $1 per mile would be vehicle and wages for the driver and be a bit generous at that.  And as you said, taking advantage of the customer (my words). 

A longer job you could pass on the travel because the bid would cover it.  But then you really want to figure some kind of per dium.  Lodging, food, fuel. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-06-2013 08:44
I just heard that the cost per mile was recently raised to $0.68, but I am not sure if that is the IRS number yet.  I can see why with gas prices rising though.

Hourly for personnel is up for grabs.  I would be inclined to charge, but then too, whenever I have worked for an employer, I was never reimbursed for my personal time spent on travel.  In fact, I recently spent 22 hours off the clock on a trip to a client just to bid on a job.  I gave them a lot of free advice too...
- - By Dualie (***) Date 06-06-2013 05:04
i think your selling yourself short. 

A buck a mile wont cover the wear and tear let alone fuel.  When i have to send one of the company trucks out for hire so to speak or billed to a customer its $4 a mile or the normal hourly field labor rate whatever works out to be the best $ wise for me.

Hell last time i had a truck towed it was $75 to hook it up and $4 a mile while in tow.    Ended up with an $800 tow bill!  

Business is business, don't leave money on the table.

at 8MPG and rolling on $1600 worth of tires its real easy to loose money fast.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-06-2013 11:13
Thanks guys! Found something online, looks interesting,

http://commutesolutions.org/external/calc.html

Says I spend $1.36 per mile so a buck a mile would be a bargain!
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 06-07-2013 02:05
2.50 a mile 1 way should cover it. Honestly with a new client i'd prolly drive there n back for nothing just to get the business. Keep track of mileage and write it off.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-07-2013 02:53
I've worked with them before. Talked with my guy today and he said he ran the numbers by the project manager and they said the $$ sounds good. Having a guy that will actually put down good welds after having the same guy f___ up twice is probably worth it so you can get paid though!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Travel Time Question