Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding table top thickness
- - By wickerdave Date 06-13-2013 23:09
Can I get away with using 1/4" steel for a 4' x 8' welding table? my last table had a 3/8" top. but the price of steel has gone way up since then.

wicker
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-14-2013 01:40
You can get away with whatever you need depending on what you are doing. I have not had a metal top work table since I started doing this and it's been almost 6 years. I've built tons of handrail and lord only knows what else.

I had a piece of 3/16 left over from something and used it for months and would removed it if needed. Then one day I had to use the rosebud to work some round bar. The 3/16" plate is no longer plate, well at least not flat!! I have had suggestions to use 1/2" plate for a table top, a 5' x 10' would be ideal but at the moment seems like an awful lot of money for a table. Guess if I was building a swiss watch then maybe I could justify the expense but not now. Like I said though, 1/4" or 3/8" in my opinion for what I use it for would be fine, 90% of the time but I don't know what you would be doing either.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-14-2013 01:44
I switched to 1 inch thick plate many years ago and have not been sorry.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-14-2013 02:28
I bet it has double in price maybe triple since you bought that 1" plate. My partner and I bought a 4'x8'x1" plate to make a table and I'm glade we bought when we did. I would hate to buy one now.

M.G.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 06-14-2013 03:41
I have a small 4'x6' table with a 3/4 top that works well. It was a drop sheet from a job. I also have a 6'x12' table with a 1/2" top I use for larger layout jobs. The large table is nice for some things but usually just a catch all for shop stuff. I use the smaller table most of the time. For many years I had a 1/4" top, it warped easily and could not handle any banging from larger hammers. It was what I could afford at the time and it worked.

If you have access to it you may want to look into used plate liners from mining. You could pick up a used 1" or thicker liner that still has one flat side. Put the used side down and your good to go. Haul truck bed liners work very well for that and you could find a good chunk that is 1/2" or thinker. They are usually AR plate and are tough!
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 06-14-2013 13:38
as long as you have a nice support frame underneath it you can use thin material. It all depends on how big and heavy the parts you build are.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 06-14-2013 13:55
When I was in welding school our booths had tables with thin metal tops.  You mainly need a good support structure.
Parent - By Darrell_B (*) Date 06-14-2013 18:33
IF YOU CAN FIND AN OLD PLANTEN TABLE (CAST STEEL, WAFFLE PATTERN) THEY ARE PRETTY HANDY. 2-3 INCHES THICK- AND YOU CAN DOG THE MATERIAL DOWN WITHOUT TACK WELDS.

Sorry about the yelling- didn't realize my caplock was on. :sad:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-14-2013 18:37
My best work tables are with 1/2" plate, 4'X8'.  They have a support frame of 3" channel iron on edge around the edge, about 4-6" in to leave room for clamps, and a couple through the middle for good support.  Even then they can curl a little at the edges. 

You can use anything you want and only you can truly speak to your usage.  But, the thinner you go the sooner it will warp.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-14-2013 19:57 Edited 06-14-2013 20:03
1/2" PLATE and 3-4" channel frame holds up well to heating and beating day in day out fab work.  The dif in price between that and 1/4" is not that bad.  For serious fab/jigging where you know you will be using chains and winches a 1"top and channel frame is a must if not a slotted or peg factory table.  My tables.are all 1/2" tops, they are really old, and they are still flat.   Channel frame is key to building a good flat one..make sure you check your material for trueness and reject anything trueness and reject.anything not perfect before you build.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 06-15-2013 00:58
Tommy
Both my tables 1" x6' wide x 20' long ..........W 8 x31 for frames and legs......only me or shop Forman is allowed to clean off ( grind) Had a smart ass punk know
It all laborer ruin one about 10 year ago.......:yell:
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-15-2013 15:02
The shop tables I use are 1/2" tops, 4' X 8' with 6" sched. 40 legs and 3" sched 40 H bracing between the legs.  All are on heavy casters for various configuration.  One is 10 years old the other is 5 years old.  If I had the time and money I'd go with 5/8" minimum but they're still completely servicable although they do need to be looked after from time to time as in checking for flatness.  If you're going to be doing much railing you really need a flat table or you will be building warpage and bow into the rail.  When arranged end to end these tables allow for a 20' length to get built with little difficulty and just a couple of feet overhang.  However, every time I start a large project when I'll be doing a lot of repetitive railings I string the tables to check for flatness.  3 strings tight across a piece of 3/8" plate at both ends and a piece of 3/8" plate to check string clearance until I'm satisfied.  There are some adjustable screw legs underneath [some 1" sq. tube with 3/4 rod/nut adjustment] that get turned up or down to take out whatever bow has creeped in.  It works, but as said, heavier plate would do better.  I like the use of channel or W beam for framing as others have suggested, but these tables were built to a design from a job many years ago that worked well for that but didn't need as much strength as a heavy fab table should have.  I would make this reccomendation: be very conservative welding the table top to the frame.  The thinner your top, the more conservative you need to be because even small welds in a concentrated area of a large plate will draw a lot more than you'd expect and pull the plate out of flatness.  Best if you use very small welds, less than 1/2", in a well thought out welding sequence and keep them accessable so you can cut the tacks if you find the top draws too much.  There is no real need for heavy welding of the top to your frame, the load is static and the top won't be going anywhere after light welding.
Parent - By Hughes Welding (*) Date 06-16-2013 20:47
Just built an 4'x4' table with a 3/8" top used 3"x3"x3/16" sq tube for legs. Can't figure out how to post pic on here.
Attachment: IMAG0089-1.jpg (431k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding table top thickness