Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding 4130
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 06-17-2013 23:46
I had an old welder friend send me a job today to weld some cast 4130 high pressure valves. Working pressure of 15,000psi.

I have never welded 4130 and I dont even know what it is.. I will not touch the job without a WPS but even with a WPS should a guy like me that has never welded the stuff even touch it..?

My buddy just told me to pre heat it to 450 and weld it with 11018.. Im to scared to touch this stuff without more info on it..

Whats this stuf like to weld..??
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 06-18-2013 05:26
Good luck getting a procedure for that. I was just testing a 4130 plate this morning, UT showed a lot of indications, but nothing rejectable (barely). I seriously doubt the tensiles and bends will pass testing with all the indications found. It was welded with a ER110 GMAW root and fill, GTAW cover passes (contractor also complained the wire was upwards of $200 a lb., which I had a hard time believing). Plate was preheated to 500 degrees and post heated to 700, then wrapped in insulation to slow the cooling process and cooled for the weekend, and still showed indications.

You might want to read this: http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/4130.htm
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-18-2013 11:01
Hey RC
The stuff is definately weldable...if you follow a good weld procedure.  :wink:

4130 is a heat-treatable low-alloy (HTLA) steel.  It is highly susceptible to hydrogen cracking. Low hydrogen process, clean materials, low heat input, proper filler material and preheat must be used.  Postweld heat treatment is usually done to bring the strength back up. 

I wouldn't touch this job without a WPS.  High pressure stuff + iffy weld procedure could lead to some serious damage to people and property.
You were right to look for more info.
Tyrone
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-18-2013 11:37
You should request welding info from the valve manufacturer, carefully control pre-heat, interpass temp, electrodes and stress relief.
It's a good idea to RT before stress relief, in case a repair is needed.
A careful hydrotest afterward. Remeber to use a broom stick to leak check the welds under hydro. At that pressure, a fine leak will be hard to see, but will cut the broom stick in two. Much better than losing fingers...

Tim
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-18-2013 19:52
Just rambling a bit...
15K psi is serious business to be tackling without a WPS and I'd walk away.

4130 in thin walled tubing is not that difficult with GTAW. Untold numbers of bicycle frames have been built with this material using the GTAW and GMAW processes and NOT post weld heat treated. However if memory serves me correctly, I ran a heavy walled steam line once (made of 4140) and it was root and hot passed with ER90S-B3. The only reason this stuck with me is that the Supt. was going to give me several pounds (like a half dozen unopened 10# tubes) of the stuff and I forgot to pick it up on lay-off day. Six months later I went to my LWS to buy some (found out it was left over stock ordered for THAT project) for my own shop to weld on some 5160 base metal (this was for ornamental iron and color match as recommended by the rod manufacturer) and mechanical properties were not the primary concern. It weren't cheap.
Just saying, that from my experience on similar alloys, the 110Ksi filler seems a bit overkill for this "soft" of steel.

One more thing to think about. You might (if you do in fact take on the job) want to consider disassembling the valves so the seats and packing aren't damaged.
Bottom line. Get a WPS and consult the valve manufacturer for possible disassembly or other pre weld preparations.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 06-18-2013 23:54 Edited 06-19-2013 00:02
Well I went and looked at the job today.. The valves are BIG and they have a little threded nipple that gos into the bottom..

It turns out that these valves while in service are under a lot of vibration and the O-rig backed nipples were backing out so they want two tacks put on the nipples to keep them from backing out yet still eazy to cut the tacks to service the valves.

Since the weld will not be holding any pressure I feel a little better about the job.

They test each valve on site to 22,500psi before sending it out.

So do I still need to be extremly careful with just tacking this stuff..??  I was thinking 400F pre heat..
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-19-2013 00:30
Hello RC, as others have pretty much eluded to, don't do anything until it is approved and proof of that is provided to you. From my own personal standpoint and based on your description, I would "propose" to tack it without any preheat and then "peen" the tacks to stretch them back out and not provide a stress riser to promote any cracking. Here again, I would not proceed to do anything without proper approval and CYA documentation. If even this limited heat might compromise the O-rings on those nipples I would consider some sort of heat-sink or barrier to prevent the degradation of those O-rings. The sort of tacks that you have described would likely have their associated heat absorbed long before it would damage the effectiveness of the O-rings but don't you be the sole judge of that. Just my $.02 Best of luck and regards, Allan
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-19-2013 02:18
You have already received some good advice on welding the 4130 steel. You have already stated that you would not weld it without a WPS, but who is to say the WPS provided by someone is valid unless you see the supporting PQR.

I have worked with 4130 on more than one occasion and in both cases the material was stress relieved after being welded.

What no one has asked is, "What welding standard is being invoked?" Perhaps the individual offering the job didn't ask or would rather you didn't know what welding code or welding standard is being invoked. There is even the possibility that they are hoping you don't ask. It sounds as if you have been around this business for a while, so you should be well aware that if this valve is being used for any purpose involving high pressure the valve is most likely required to meet the requirements of ASME. Should that be the case, you as the welding contractor, are required to qualify the WPS. You cannot use someone else's WPS. There is a probability the WPS has to be qualified with notch toughness and post weld heat treatment. Qualifying the WPS is no small undertaking in terms of cost or time. 

My advice is to know what you are getting yourself into and understand the consequences of a failure. What are the risks involved? Are you asking the customer the right questions? Do you know all the facts?

As noted in my opening, I have welded 4130. In each case I was required to qualify the WPS before welding on the product. One of the projects involved welding valve bodies that required preheats in excess of 400 degrees F and stress relief after welding. The other project also required stress relief. One project was welded with GMAW using 8018-B2L and the other project, I don't remember what we used, but it was welded with GTAW.

My suggestion is that you consider rebaking the electrodes if you are planning on welding the casting with SMAW. The 4130 is very sensitive to delayed cracking due to hydrogen. You have to consider the sum effects of the alloying constituents, not just the carbon content. You also have to consider the restrain offered by the mass of the casting. Both the carbon equivalency and the degree of restraint increases the need for high preheat temperature.

Good luck with the project.

Al
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 06-19-2013 02:49
Thank you all for the information..!!  It is clear now that I dont have enogh information to safely do the job..!!!

The company is brand new and they are a rental company for high pressure pipe, valves, hoses etc...

They had some small 4in 4130 fittings that had pin holes.. They have a small Lincoln AC welder.. The shop hand/welder told me he was ging to weld those up.. I said cool what preheat are you using..  He gave me a blank stare, then I asked him what rod he was using and he said ( I dont know ) just some rod I got.... I asked to see the rod..

He had a small box of 6013 from Home depot..

So I'm guessing this company doesnt have a clue what they are doing..!!!

Im thinking a WPS is out of the picture at this point.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-19-2013 10:26
Oh boy....
Were your spider-sense tingling?
Tyrone
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-19-2013 19:43
"Run Forest, Run!"

Al
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 06-20-2013 23:30
LOL...!!!  Yes I was a bit scared after seeing and hearing that..!!  

It was my first clue that I may not be in the company of greatness..!!!! :eek:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding 4130