Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is an Associate Degree ?
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 06-19-2013 13:31
Ladies and Gentlemen,
     Lot a people make better money than me welding and doing other trades. A lot of out of military ( www.gibill.va.gov     888-442-4551 ) etc. say "What is an Associate Degree ? It is a two year college degree that allow for you to get a job as car mechanic / welder / marine diving etc. . It worked for me and was followed by getting an engineering degree and making + 55,000 past 60 year old. Your question views appreciated.
I hope this is helpful.
                        Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
               914-536-7101   / 212-839-6599     8-4 New York Time , 4042 FAX , Co-worker 6381 / 914-237-7689 (H)
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1160 per year Caller Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post Office )
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-20-2013 20:55 Edited 06-20-2013 23:46
The Associate Degree in any technology is a great start for many young people.

High school is a four year party for many young ones. Some fail to develop the correct study habits during their high school years. In other cases they didn't take the "right" courses needed to pursue a four year technical degree. In many cases there may be a matter of insufficient funds to attend a four year program.

The two year program offers the student an opportunity develop the study habits, take courses that were not taken in high school, and in many cases the two year colleges offer a good education at bargain prices.

The two year technical degree is in demand by industry. The individual with a two year degrees has demonstrated their ability to learn and to be taught. They can elect to further their education by transferring to a four year school, becoming a part of an apprenticeship program, or they can go directly into the workforce.

Like any school, selecting a two year college and a course of study must be given serious consideration. It can be the foundation of a life time career.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 06-20-2013 21:46
AMEN to that AL-

I did my AA in Manufacturing after high school cause I couldnt afford a 4 year school.  Got into welding the first semester and never really looked back, took a CWI course the college offered and knew I had everything but knowing a code book down pretty well.  Next thing i know its 10 years later and Im a CWI with a lot of good knowledge of CNC, Welding, Drafting, Master CAM, Solid works, I can use a mill and lathe no problem, and can program them as well.  Going to a JC was what made my career and Im only just starting.

-J
Parent - - By bruce69 (*) Date 06-21-2013 01:02
I'm a little confused by this.  Is this a solicitation?  It kind of reads like one but then again, I'm not really sure.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-21-2013 01:22
Hello bruce69 I am pretty sure solicitation is only applicable in a broad term. I teach at a community college in Washington state and though I have certainly been known to promote our program when I speak of various educational opportunities I am really promoting education as a whole, after all, we never really stop learning.

Whether an individual learns from association(watching and doing with family, friends, or otherwise), starting out as a "grunt" helping out and working their way up in a shop or in the field, some form of an apprenticeship, trade/tech school, community college, private training facilities, etc. it's all about preparing and learning to provide yourself with a jump-off point to an often lucrative and very rewarding career. I agree with has already been said for value in education, regardless of the mode, participation generally ensures some form of reliability, conviction, and willingness to become bigger and better. Just a few thoughts from my perspective. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-21-2013 05:08
Bruce,

I think you are referring to Len's style.  No, it is not a solicitation.  Len is a little hard to follow some times. 

Means well and has a lot of great background if you can grasp his thought train.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 06-21-2013 11:37
I think now a days the 2 yr. technical programs are the way to go, it worked our great for me and it doesn't have the huge cost and time burden of a 4 yr. degree that may or may not get you a skill.
I feel Americans need to get our hands dirty and start making things again, and fixing what breaks- and its takes skilled labor to do that.  Not someone who sits behind a computer writing documents.  But that's just me.
College of Oceaneering AS degree in Marine Technology- Underwater Inspection/ Spec Tech Graduate 1996.
Parent - - By bruce69 (*) Date 06-22-2013 01:48
OK.  Then by all means, I agree with him.  Gone are the days of getting some Liberal Arts degree like Political Science and getting a good job after college.  Now you get that degree and have $50,000 in debt and no job.  Even my wife went back and got her AA degree in Respiratory Therapy after having a next-to-worthless four year bachelor's degree.  My only recommendation is to stay away from the for-profit schools.  Stick to the accredited State schools.  I'm not saying all for-profit schools are bad.  However, a lot of them are.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-22-2013 04:50
Hello bruce69, you bring up a very valid point regarding student debt for schooling. That is why I do promote/push a program such as ours, or apprenticeship programs, and the like.

Sure, you may/will incur some debt in the process of educating yourself, yet the returns are generally immediate and much less long term. I feel the key to anyone's education is some research on their own part and assessment of the program(s) that they plan on getting into.

Look at the performance of the school's programs. Check with employers in or around the area that they purport to have hiring their grads and students for an accurate picture of expected program outcomes. If possible sit down and talk with current students or graduates if you can determine who they are. This sort of process can be applied to any type of school whether it be state-run, an apprenticeship, or a for-profit training facility, in other words don't simply willy-nilly sign up for something without checking it out first and "doing your homework".

Forgive me bruce69 for tagging all of this onto a response to you, but I felt it was an ideal time to put some of this information forth for some of those who might be following or happen onto this thread. You have certainly brought up some of the right questions that people should consider and why. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Darrell_B (*) Date 06-21-2013 21:35
Well, I am the Quality Manager for a fairly large manufacturer. I am also a CWI. 25 years in the metal trades before I went back to school and got my AA in Quality Assurance. With that AND my experience I make a pretty decent living.
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 06-24-2013 12:49
Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Anyone out there that recently done uniformed military or naval service with views on the matter ?
Len
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is an Associate Degree ?